Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-23, 03:27 PM  
Nelly G

Best workouts for joint pain caused by post menopause

I have joint pain because am in post menopause now.
Does anyone know workouts that help with join pain.
If I sit for an hour at work my joints are stiff and aches. As soon as as walk in one minutes my joins feel better although I am not paid to walk. I walk from my car to my work 15 minutes, I walk in my lunchbreak(30 minutes) and walk 15 minutes back to my car.

Which workout’s do you advise to help? What do you do so you get less joint pain.
With Weight training. Do you use Low weight or heavy or mix it up.
Do you do Stretching and Qi gong or both?

Which workout does help you the best.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 04:17 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Essentrics all the way.

Here's Sahra's pain relief video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnax...chbyEssentrics

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 04:38 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

As I've gotten older, I do find that I stiffen up if I sit too long. You could try some stretches in your office chair. I still can exercise so I try and do that as much as I can. Another thing I do is use voltaren arthritis cream on my sore joints. You may not have that in your country, but I'm sure there is something similar available. Talk to a pharmacist and see what's available.
Old 02-15-23, 10:01 PM  
Bluebelle

I use a break app on my computer to remind me to stand up. It helps a lot. If I skip the breaks on busy days I really feel it later when I do get up.

I second the Essentrics recommendation.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-23, 10:13 PM  
Vantreesta

I like qi gong to loosen up stiff joints.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 05:17 PM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Essentrics all the way.

Here's Sahra's pain relief video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnax...chbyEssentrics
Is this on a DVD? If so, which one? It looks very familiar ...

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 05:53 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Dancer View Post
Is this on a DVD? If so, which one? It looks very familiar ...

Linda
I think it is on the Pain Relief dvd collection.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 06:07 PM  
donnamp

I have to second (or third) the Classical Stretch/Essentrics recommendation. Whenever I'm consistent with it I notice an improvement.

I also do try to stand up from time to time when I'm working, but it can be hard, if you are busy or in meetings, etc.

I think I feel my best when I do Fusion-type workouts for my strength (like Ellen).

If I do traditional weights I try to avoid certain postures (like prolonged forward leaning) and heavy weights.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-23, 06:41 PM  
Leonana

I use lighter weights. I like stretching workouts on non-strength days, yoga with Cassandra is a favorite. Massage helps a lot, I use a massage bar, but I lay on it, using it like a foam roller.
Old 02-16-23, 08:27 PM  
cyana

Nelly - I'm a member of the Creaky Old Geezers Club who also works long hours at a desk, so figuring out how to deal with aches and pains is a constant battle. I really like the Essentrics Pain Relief video that Jackie linked to. If you have access to ETV, I find a number of Dyan's routines work well for me. There are some free short tutorials on ETV if you go to essentricstv.com, and at the top of page click on Getting Started and then Beginning Work-outs and Tutorials. There are free Essentrics videos on YT and if you have shoulder/neck issues, I like this short practice from Gail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhZTbuabwxg . Qi gong is also good - free on YT you can find multiple practices from Marissa at YoQi. I especially enjoy this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1tpHKvjewI . There are multiple practices between 15 - 30 minutes. Lee Holden's DVD's tend to have a 20 minute option, and he also has some YT practices. Search by Holden QiGong and Exercise to Health for multiple free YT options. As far as weights are concerned, I like to mix it up, as I find that's easier on my joints, and I don't do anything that is rushed, as I want to reduce my risk of injury. Stretching first thing in the AM is great for dealing with the morning stiffness, and I have a made up routine I do before getting out of bed, along with some breath work. For some creative mobility exercises, you might want to take a look at Matt at Upright Health on YT. Yoga is also good - and there's something for everyone with tons of free options on YT. Jill Miller has multiple self-massage routines on her Tune Up Fitness YT channel.

Voltaren works great, but be really careful if you have cats, as it's highly toxic to them. I also keep a tube of BioFreeze on hand.

Hope that helps. I tried to include as many YT options as possible since you can't beat the price!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joint paint, menopause