Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-05-21, 04:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

woke up feeling achy so pulled out fitprime lean with kelly. Probably my favorite FP, not hard but overall just right for a light day.

buzzer - that party sounds odd, I'd have been out of sorts and not sure what to do in that type of situation. I would understand if food was still cooking but just starting? glad LB had fun.

ebianco - as faculty I've always had some flexibility and with covid my work from home preferences has been more accepted. I have a couple of friends who are staff and had to go back 100% in person in August. Both of them really preferred work from home - save on commuting time and expense. But the U wouldn't even consider hybrid. It made no sense to me - even a couple of days at home can make someone happier and less stressed out. So long way of saying I hope you can have some input on your schedule.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-21, 02:15 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I woke up just sore as could be today, thankfully I had a massage scheduled at noon but it didn't leave me much time to work out. So I decided to do Cathe Push Pull from the Superset/Push Pull DVD. Both of these workouts are a little shorter and less intense than pretty much any other Cathe workouts I have. It was just right! Despite my soreness I was able to do the workout and work up a sweat. Cathe's recommended poundage was pretty light (I guess to cater to beginners?) so I just went with her weights. The music was good, there was a recognizable song from Nirvana (LOL) and Fleetwood Mac and some others. It was only 44 minutes which included brief abs. It was perfect for today and my massage therapist was like OMG your muscles are so tight, LOL. I am still sore as heck but feel better for exercising and getting a massage!

Tomorrow is a HIIT and some outdoor walking or running (weather permitting). We will see how I feel LOL! I feel sore like I'm working out for the first time I hope much after a couple of weeks or whenever I will get over the sore hump and feel much better.

Eventmom We were able to take one telework day a week or so before the pandemic, and it is supposed to be even more generous now. If I can keep my 4/10 schedule (which will be a monster with commuting) and work 2 days in the office, 2 days at home I would be thrilled with that. I agree with you, the difference in morale is so significant.

Buzzer waves!
Old 11-07-21, 11:01 AM  
Buzzer

Unplanned rest day... DONE!
Firm volume 1... kinda DONE!

So yesterday I was meeting my sisters with LB for breakfast. So I ended up skipping my workout since I had to get us ready not only for seeing them, but also get LB's westernaires stuff ready. DH also left yesterday for a few days for a conference, so I also skipped to talk to him instead of just leaving him alone before he leaves.

It was Ok though, becuase I was still sore from the upper body workout! So today I did Volume 1, and it was way above my level! HA! I still get a cough when I do too much cardio (which is part of the reason I haven't gone back to my Leslies) and this was indeed, too much cardio. I had to take a break after almost every exercise it seemed. I walked around the room. I also just did this little prancing thing when she did her jogs.

I kept my shoes on when Susan took them off, becuase I hate doing pushups with no shoes on. I always feel like I am sliding across the floor. So I had that extra weight on, and put my 3 pound weights on. I was spent!! That leg routine is killer! By the time leg shoots showed up, I had my leg weights and my shoes off! I don't know if it was me not being able to do it, not being strong enough after time off, or that I still wasn't recovered all the way, but those legs were HARD. She then went to inner thighs, and I said "Not today, Susan!" which cracked me up. So I skipped inner thighs and went right to abs. The abs were good, although they kinda killed me too!

I don't think I was ready for volume 1. woof. I need to start a little lower, or just tolerate the fact that I need to pause a LOT until I get back to the level of conditioning I had to do these. I might do that option.

Of course, it could also be because I wasn't rested and recovered enough, maybe I need just a few more days between hard workouts. That is a true option as well.

My right shoulder is still giving me some aches, I don't understand that. My left was injured years ago, and it feels great! My right is feeling still pulled from like a week ago. I'm sure still doing my workouts isn't helping it, becuase it feels worse after I am done. I'm just keeping an eye on it and gaging it as I go.

So yesterday my one sister was kinda annoying, talking loudly about very inappropriate things. She suddenly, for some reason over the last 6 months or so, is talking like our parents abused us and especially her. I have no idea where this is coming from. They were parents of the 80's, where they were a bit more laid back than parents today, but they were not abusive at all. She is talking of abuse and neglect... neither of which happened. It's very weird and alarming. I made sure to say "No, that isn't what happened" a lot. Just really bothered me.

Other than that, it was fun (my other sister was acting sane! She always is though) and they both stayed to watch LB ride. Which made LB over the moon happy! It was good. When we got home, I should have made LB practice violin, but instead I texted the lady up the street to see if LB and her BFF could play. they both ended up here until almost 8:30 at night, so LB had a great day!

Today is violin, and she needs to know her Christmas music. She needs to practice a lot to be able to do the lesson without sounding too much like she hasn't practiced (which she hasn't, at least for the Christmas music! )so we are doing violin practice this morning after we eat breakfast.

Probably house cleaning today too, since I still haven't recovered the house from when I was sick. It got taken over by crafts, teeny tiny things, horses, scratch art, and school work. Oh, and some construction stuff. I gotta take care of this!

Eventmom: I thought the party was odd too. I don't go to someone else's house to cook, I go to socialize, maybe watch the kids do the activities, and just hang out. It was a surprise to have to cook! She has a small kitchen too, so it wasn't even enjoyable. It was people bumping into each other, and kids running past. Plus conversation was tough to do. If I would have known, I think I would have begged off this one. I cook enough at home... I don't need to go to a "party" to do it too!!!

Ebianco: I bookmarked the workouts you have posted links to and am going to check them out. I love tough weight lifting, and it sounds like that's what you are doing!! I might start posting your workouts as being done a week or so after you do them

I could never do a massage after working out so hard! For some reason, massages make my muscles more sore. I would always take a rest day on massage day. I'm glad it made you feel better though! Maybe that's what I need... hmmm...

Hope you guys are having a good weekend! it's been 70 degrees here!! I love it! Of course, during the week it's going to be in the 50's, but I am so glad the 70's hit on the weekend!!
Edited to add that I was looking over your workouts again, pondering them, and laughed again at the sitting on the toilet to realize your legs are still sore. HA! I have done that one a million times! Cracked me up again! I could feel the pain!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 01:59 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Today I finished my workout week with a Caroline HIIT workout (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIMg...h_HiE0t0X0vOQm). I did a 6 minute warm up with Fitprime first and then finished with Callanetics stretch so it was a 50 minute total workout! Like a lot of HIIT, it started out not too bad, but became grueling by the end My plan was to walk outside but I'm using the cold weather as an excuse, because I don't think so It did feel good to really push myself with a HIIT because before I wast mostly doing steady state. Today I felt much less sore than yesterday, so that's great! My legs got to be pretty tired during all the plyo lunges I did but I still feel better than I did. Two rest days and then I'll start again on Wednesday. My biceps hurt pretty much all week though so I wonder if I should go slightly lighter next time.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer Were we separated at birth somehow, and have the same sister? It is crazy how similar our family experiences are. My sister (no surprise the estranged one) has repeatedly accused my parents of abusing her when she was a teenager. So that's the past 20+ years of her talking about how they abused her. She was very difficult to everyone at the time; it was a contentious time for sure. But they were normal parents of the 80s too and provided for us. It has been a pain point for everyone in the family for years.

Another shared experience, my right shoulder has been achy off and on for the past 1.5 years or so It started as a tiny tweak and popping sounds but no pain, morphed into pain, felt better but then I broke my wrist (that was almost a year ago!), then felt better for a while, then started feeling bad again. Yet it feels great today. Maybe from the massage yesterday?! Sometimes I suspect it's what I've eaten or something like that, how it comes and goes. Anyway I hope yours feels better soon.

Firm Volume 1 has insanely tough mat work That side leg lift series, into the inner thighs and bridge work, and the table work and pushups too. Insanity!

If you ever try out Caroline's workouts, let me know! I am very impressed so far with how much thought she puts into them, and like I said they are very polished productions. She doesn't even seem to try to solicit money on her youtube page. I think the workouts she's already put out would keep me busy for life if I wanted, in case she ever does her own paid website like Zuzka or some others. But it seems more and more that they (influencers) are realizing they can monetize on youtube. Anyway they're fantastic productions. She is a machine! I probably use at most 50% the poundage she uses LOLZ about the toilet remark, that is certainly the ultimate test of leg soreness!

Massages haven't left me sore, but I have heard of that happening! I "try" to get one every 3-4 weeks but it usually ends up being twice that long between massages. Life is just so busy. Maybe I'll still get in a walk today who knows!
Old 11-07-21, 06:24 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

saturday - barre workout from a set I bought from alo moves before they were month to month 20 min TA cardio
today - 20 min sara ivanhoe yoga, jumping lesson, 10 min walk, 10 min stretch. I was so sore from jumping my horse. not sure if I need a week of joyce to really work my back.

ebianco - that schedule sounds so much more doable than a 5 day a week drive.The U is stuck being jerks b/c our governor is one of those covid is no big deal, business much be open, mandates for masks and vaccinations are illegal (literally) - so the U can't do anything that would look like they are doing anything to help people deal with covid. Caroline's workouts look so TOUGH but so well done!

buzzer - omg and a small kitchen! that's really odd. also, I'd think you'd give a heads up but who knows maybe something odd happened. Sorry about the family stuff I cannot even imagine what that would be like.
Old 11-08-21, 11:16 AM  
Buzzer

Angles lines and curves 2... DONE!

I love this workout. I felt like I slacked on vol 1 yesterday on the legs, and this workout helped me get those exercises I didn't do well on yesterday! Plus my abs. I love how this workout hits my abs.
I love how she stretches, get a little bit of muscle work (but not too much), and range of motion. I just love this workout.

I also love that at the end, she shows a picture of her and her daughter from like 1992, then shows her and her daughter again in 2002, when the video was done. I always wait through the credits to see them! So cool. I will have to look up what her daughter looks like now!

Yesterday we just laid around for the most part. It was a nice, relaxing day. LB had violin lessons at 1, so she practiced some, and I cleaned the house. She had a friend come over at 2:30 (her BFF) and stay until 5:30, so I had a quiet afternoon/evening. I needed that!! It was good. Today we have to do school and violin and have a group violin... it's gonna be more busy for sure.

Ebianco: I was looking up that lady that you are doing the workouts with.. I am sure I would never look like her, but what motivation to do the workouts!! Wow.
also, that's crazy about your sister!! HA! I think our families are mirrored! What's up with that? I guess compared to parents of today, our parents were neglectful and what is now considered "abusive", however for the time it was normal. You can't put the past under a microscope and compare it to todays standards. That's just not how it works! I have no patience for that. It's seriously persecuting the parents for something they didn't know they were supposed to know. I'm sure her kids will think she was an abusive parent too for some reason. She won't want to be under that microscope either.

She was also upset because I told her we are going to a friends for Thanksgiving again instead of her house, however she didn't exactly sell me on changing my mind on that one! HA! Kinda sealed going to the friends house for sure.

So Kari Anderson in ALC2 does this face up plank, kinda like yoga, and it's impossible to me right now. I don't know if it's a strength or flexibility issue, however also when she does the hands behind the back and "grab your opposite elbow" behind your back, it seems impossible to me. However, I need those moves. So I guess my point is that I wonder if that kind of stuff is stressing my shoulder and making it ache? I don't know. However it is funny that you are having a shoulder issue too!! Check in curse!!

Eventmom: People sure are odd, aren't they? I would never think to do that to my guests. Mentioning Joyce made me be all "awwww". I love her. I don't know if I really loved her workouts, most of them were annoying because she threw around such small weights... they would have been so much better if she used appropriate weights. When I use the correct weight for me, she is going too fast. But the workouts are fantastic! If she would just do them with bigger weights, and slower!! HA! I don't know why I love her I guess!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-08-21, 11:26 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

melt on my own, essentrics stretch for 30 then tacked on some classical stretch for hip from her athletes intense stretch. My hip is really painful.

buzzer - so you probably just sold me on doing joyce for a couple of days this week. My back was so sore yesterday and today and off all my workouts she does the most/best back work. We are having my sister in law, her daughter and husband for TG and of course DD and her BF. We haven't seen my husband's family since maybe 2017? Everyone was going to come for dd's graduation but covid killed that.

hi ebianco!
Old 11-10-21, 11:09 AM  
Buzzer

Group Kick full body class.. DONE!
Firm Basics 12 minutes strength workouts.. DONE!

So I got into my workout room this morning, and my DVD player won't work. It won't communicate with my TV. So I played with it and screwed around for about 15 or 20 minutes but I think it just is dead. I am going to have DH look at it and see if he can work his magic, but I will have to get a new one when I am in town and have time

Yesterday I decided to do the group kick. It's been a while since I did them... it was so much fun!!! I hate kickboxing (did it too much at one point), but this was more like fighting. They'd show what the moves would look like if you were using them in a "fight" (or ring, or grappling, or whatever) so it was more like "Oh! Now I get it!!" They are workouts designed like Les Mills to train the instructor, and everyone across the country is doing the same workout at the same time. It was fun though!

Today I messed with my DVD player, and ended up doing the 12 minute strength workout on my computer. It was much different than a TV screen for sure!! I had to go by sound on some of the parts of the workout when they were on the floor ( I had the computer up on the ledge where the TV is) but it worked out. I did the first leg segment with no weights but really focused, and wondered if I should have grabbed weights. I used weights for the rest of the workout, and afterwards I thought, I was OK not grabbing the weights for the first segment! That is a tough workout! I definitely didn't give that one enough credit. It is going with my "harder" workouts rather than the "basics" for sure! I will try to add it in more often.

So DH always wakes M up by cheerily saying loudly "GOOD MORNING!" and tickling her head and feet. It annoys her to no end, and whenever she complains to me I tell her he used to do that to me. I had to tell him it was so annoying and loud first thing in the morning, and he stopped. So this morning, I woke her up at 4:55am, becuase DH has his alarm set for 5. We snuck in, and cheerily yelled "GOOD MORNING!!" and I turned on the light (what he does too). She was suddenly shy about it, and I ended up leading the good morning cheeriness. I even tickled his head.

so LB was supposed to go back to sleep afterwards... nope. She couldn't do it. She is up now, has been since 4:55am. We have CC and violin group today... we'll see how she does. Right now she says her head is tired but her body says "nope! Let's go!" I half regret doing the wake up thing now, but the other half I am happy we did because he needs to know how loud and annoying that is when you are asleep!!! Hopefully he will treat her more gentle in the morning now!

Today the wind has picked up big time. I guess our yard is getting the junk cleared out of it! All I have to do afterwards is walk along the fence and pick it up. Better than having to walk all around the yard I suppose

Eventmom: Cracks me up that you are considering Joyce, since I am considering doing Ebianco's workout! I guess we are influencing each other to do other workouts! HA! That Athlete's stretch is realllllly good for the hips. I think that's what she hits the most! So an achey hip is made for that workout.

Hi Ebianco!!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 11-10-21, 11:43 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - Joyce Bottoms UP Gold Plus + upper body,
today - BUG+ lower body + back

buzzer - I realized that usually did more lifting at the gym in taos every summer + say xmas. But for the last 2 years nope. I hope this will help me work muscles differently than my favorite barre/TA type stuff. Is group kick an in person class?

hi ebianco!
Old 11-10-21, 06:04 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

I started my workout week today with leg day #1 of 2 this week. Since there are two leg days, I made today glute and hamstring focused and Friday will be quad/thigh focused. So after a warm up (I decided to cycle through my Firm warmups so I can still enjoy Firm while I'm on this rotation - so today was Firm Volume 1 warm up) I did Caroline EPIC II Hamstring and Glute Isolation (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2lC...JFgH7W&index=2) the first half up until the hip thrusts at the 25 minute mark, which was a lot of sumo squats, deadlifts, and plie squats for which I used a 35# kettlebell. Then I pulled out Ballet Body download pretzel variations #2 which was 24 minutes, which is when I really started struggling, then the youtube lower body stretch for an overall 57 minute workout. My plan on my leg week days are to tack on some barre to get the best benefit of both heavy lifting and barre. I am sure I'll have lower body DOMS tomorrow!

My only complaint for today's Caroline workout, which is extremely minor, is I didn't like the music quite as much as in her EPIC III series. However, as usual it is a fantastic production quality! I made sure I touch upon her EPIC, EPIC II, EPIC III, and EPIC Heat through my rotation so that I can get a taste of everything.

For Ballet Body, I think a VFer said sometime along the line that Leah has a scalpel-like precision with her barre moves. They are so exact and her form pointers are phenomenal. The download I did had three pretzel sets on each side. I went through the first one thinking hey this is okay! Then the second one I fatigued really fast, and by the third one I could feel every single muscle fiber with the tiniest moves. I never seem to do Leah enough, she doesn't exactly have a fun factor like Pure Barre but the precision of her exercises is second to none.

Eventmom I feel extremely lucky to have been able to telework for nearly 2 years straight!!! That is definitely not something I take for granted.

Eventmom and Buzzer Yes Caroline is fantastic so far!! I am also circulating in some of the other you tubers I wanted to try, Heather Robertson, Fitness_kaykay, and growingannanas so I can get at least a taste of all of these trainers that I eye all the time, although my main focus is Caroline.

Buzzer That is great feedback about the Firm 12 minute strength DVD! I have that one and have, ahem, never done it LOL. Now I know it is promising!

Caroline is crazy motivational in her physique! Also she seems to just have a really warm personality! I am sure I would never ever look like her either, she is just so tiny and super cut and the weights she lifts is crazy, but yeah she is inspirational!

I agree with you about the perceived neglect and different times, and that nobody would want to be judged by future measures for today! Haha I hear you about Thanksgiving. I am hosting again his year and the estranged sister is definitely not coming. She was invited to come last year from my other family members who are still in contact, but didn't come. I was in some ways disappointed last year that she didn't come, where this year I've really made up my mind that I'm glad she's gone so just as well.

I used to be able to do so some basic yoga binds, but my shoulders won't let me do ANYTHING like that anymore. Even being in plank is okay but I can't do side plank anymore on the one arm. It's a bummer to have restrictions, but I'm just doing what I can.