Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-05-21, 09:17 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Be Naughty. Save Santa the Trip. December 5

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 09:33 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Thanks, Laura for another fantastic title for this thread! Saves me lots of time on Sunday morning...

We got snow last night - looks like less than an inch, but it's sticking to the roads and sidewalks - I'll do a little bit of shoveling if I get out before it melts. Adelija has a friend over for a sleepover - it was a bit quieter last night than the previous time. I'll be walking Gus - today should be nice compared to tomorrow - wind chills in negative numbers!

Paula, I picked up a rye bread and some gingerbread dough. The rye bread is tasty - it's got the same denseness as what I pick up on the Scandivanian section of our grocery store, but is lighter in color - a medium brown compared to a dark brown. Very tasty. Of course Adelija wants to make gingerbread cookies. Do I have cookie cut-out frames or even a rolling pin? - NO! I might stop by and pick that stuff up. In Quicken, I have the store names and amounts back to 1999 when I moved here (I'm sure I have older stuff also since I've had Quicken since I lived in IL, but it's in hidden files under different bank names) and can look up stuff by category, like Household). I don't need records beyond seven years for tracking taxes, but it's kind of fun to see how I spent money back in the day. Enjoy your rolls!

Laura, hope all is going well with your inlaws . Have a safe trip back when that happens.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-05-21, 12:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We are back. It was a hard, but worthwhile, week. We worked hard to care for my MIL and fix things around the house so that she can function better. She is in a wheelchair for now with the broken knee and she hates it. She has always had problems with depression and anxiety and feeling so helpless has exacerbated her depression. But we went mainly to give my sister-in-law a break, and that aspect was a total success. She seemed to enjoy having the freedom to get stuff done around her own house while we were there. And my MIL really did enjoy having us there when she wasn't denying she needed the help.

Anyway, we are back. I feel like I was run over by a truck after the week and driving back yesterday, but it is great to be home and I slept like the dead last night in my own bed. This afternoon, I have a training session with the person I worked with before leaving. She tried another tutor and had a really bad experience, so I'm going to help her finish her work that is due tomorrow.

I hope you both had a good week. It's hard to believe that it's December 5.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 10:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening, workout this morning was a Pahla B Cardio Toning class and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Grocery day here and food prep. We started looking for a new reciner for DH, his is getting thread bare.

Anita, Thanks for getting us started. I vote for ginger bread cookies. No rolling pin, no cutouts, no problem - just roll some small balls, press them down with a fork and bake. Rye bread sounds good too.

Laura, welcome back. I'm glad you had satisfying visit with family and got lots done for them. Seeing you two and getting necessary stuff done is the best Christmas gift you could give them.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 09:01 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Brutal winter has arrived - temp is 8F and wind chills are in negative numbers - brrrrr! I'll still take Gus for a walk, but it will be a shorter route. This will be an indoor day!

Yesterday during our dog walk, Gus found an animal stuck inside a little tower capped by a manhole cover near a pond. Poor little thing was splashing in there desperately trying to get out of the water. I couldn't tell what it was - likely a raccoon. I called it in to the park service and left a message, but they don't answer their phone on a Sunday . I think the poor thing won't make it till this morning with the temps and time being wet . I'm bummed .

Laura, nice that you're back! Can your MIL get around the house or are their lots of stairs involved? That's one reason I'm looking at senior living options for the future - my house has too many stairs in and out - luckily my living area is all on one floor. I'm sure your bed felt good! I'm sure you were much appreciated for your visit!

Paula, thanks for the gingerbread dough idea to just do fork presses into balls! That will work! Good luck on the recliner search!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-06-21, 08:58 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

What a day. Last night, DH fell in the bathroom. He took his sleep medicine before he went back to get ready for bed. Usually, he knows what it will do, but when he's super tired (like these days), it can act different. He was leaning over to do something and fell asleep for just a moment and fell over. He fell on the drawer that was open in the vanity and took it out. Fortunately, he wasn't badly hurt. He has a bad scrape on the lower right side of his back, but he didn't hurt bones or joints or anything like that. When I heard him fall, I adrenaline surged through my body and I didn't get to sleep until late. And, of course, I had to wake up early to go to a barium swallow test to see why I'm having problems clearing my throat sometimes and more issues with swallowing things. It went fine and they didn't fine anything, so an endoscopy is next. We did catch up on some stuff around the house today and I had a good tutoring session.

Anita - MIL's house is a small ranch house - just one level with wide doorways and a fairly open living area, so she can get around some in the house. I can understand not wanting stairs as you get older.

Paula - Congrats on getting DH to look at a recliner!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-06-21, 09:41 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yin Foundations with Travis Eliot. Foggy day at our house so we went flying out to the desert - beautiful out there.

Anita, what a sad story about the struggling animal. Made me sad. Hope you and Gus were able to get a walk in. When it's that cold do you play cards with your online friends?

Laura, what a scary story about your DH falling. Gosh, my DH is 7 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than I am. Not sure I could get him back up if he fell and couldn't help. The few times he's had a fall and needed my help he was alert and able to help himself to a large degree. I wouldn't be able to sleep afterward either. Good your MIL lives in a ranch style house, it's so much easier than dealing with stairs.
Old 12-07-21, 08:47 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on driving Adelija to school as she has a doctor's appointment there before the bus would normally deliver her. I'll also be taking Gus for a walk and getting groceries. Tonight she'll be going to a friend's house for a few hours and I'll be going to the Lucille Ball movie with a friend - his wife couldn't make so I get to go.

Laura, I'm so sorry for both you and your DH for the fall last night - how horrible! Wow, that sleeping drug kicks in strongly! Hope DH feels OK from the scrape. Hopefully the drawer will be fixable. Good luck with your endoscopy test. Glad your mom has an easier accessible house!

Paula, We played Yahtzee last night, just because it's our usual Monday night activity - temps really don't matter as we've got two in the Milwaukee area, one in Chile, and me in the Twin Cities. It is nice to get together with friends virtually! Falling in my house is one reason I'm looking at senior living options - at least someone could hear me if I screamed for help or miss me if I didn't show up for something. Glad you had a nice flight!

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 12-07-21, 08:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

i slept like the dead last night for 8 hours. It's amazing how much better today was. I did a pick-up at Publix this morning and went to my infusion this afternoon. The regular infusion nurse was there and pushed it through at the usual pace and I'm a little out of it, but not bad. While I was gone, the blinds people came and installed the new blinds (sliding glass door leading to the sun porch and the two skinny windows by the door). They look SO good!

Anita - How was the Lucille Ball movie? It looks pretty good. I kept meaning to ask you if you've seen that there will be a new Downton Abbey movie in the spring? Plus, the original one will be on PBS sometime this holiday season.

Paula - It was weird because falling on the drawer broke his fall somewhat. He was not in too bad of shape, so he got himself back up with me spotting him. I've had the same thought about my ability to get him up on my own. I don't think I could do it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-07-21, 09:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 1 Push/Strength. Followed by Tamilee Standing Stretch.

We went shopping for a new recliner for DH today - he found one he liked at Lazy Boy. The one he has now is a Lazy Boy and he's been planting his bucket in it for hours every day we're home for 27 years and it's really showing the wear. Knock on wood this new one wears as well. Of course with the backlog on everything it won't be delivered until late February. So that's his Christmas gift

Anita, I think it's so cool that you have this group of friends you can play games with via Zoom. Hope you enjoyed the Lucille Ball movie. When my parents moved into the senior facility it had an emergency button in the kitchen. If you could crawl to the button and push it, someone came immediately. Both of my parents fell from time to time and the other one pushed the button. My SD was so much larger than my Mom there was no way she could get him up when he fell. He was so unsteady on his feet, he couldn't really help my Mom get up either - the emergency button proved a godsend. Something to consider when you're checking out senior housing - emergency button = good idea.