Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-30-22, 07:01 PM  
Helen

Every Day in October 2022 - all welcome :D

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity
every day,
whatever that means for
YOU

(but don't kid yourself about it either)

Join us to see out the year by taking on the CHALLENGE for the last 90 days of 2022.

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:
EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 07:04 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Thank you! for starting October Thread

Helen: As always, thank you for starting the October thread.

As always, I need to get my arrow! so this is just a little chat post. (No workouts - yet - to post).!

I cannot believe how fast September flew by. Seriously. Gone. In a blink. And we are quickly approaching the end of the year. Go figure.

Still in all my challenges, but moving right along:
  • Power Zone Challenge: 1 more week left
  • Hydrow Commit To Fit Badge: 1 more week (and 2 days this week)
  • Matt Wilpers Run Challenge: 5 more weeks
  • New Power Zone Challenge begins November 7th **

I think there will be many choices for the power zone challenge, so I have to decide what one I want to participate in. SOME of the choices are: 2 rides and 2 runs a week. One will be 3 rides a week. And my usual of 5 rides a week. Decisions, decisions.

I have my arrow. Off to do my beginning of the month paperwork.
Goals? anyone got goals?

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-22, 11:47 PM  
Helen

Have a new router - that is faster on the phone, and on DH's computer, but mine doesn't like it for some reason. Spent hours when first installed with no result. Keep getting circle of death on browser tabs - let it run, get sidetracked, ....

Anyway
Sat 1st
90min dog walk, 130bpm with a Podrunner
weeding (yeah, holiday 'fun' :/)

Sun 2nd
60min dog walk, 130bpm
46min The Firm - Total Muscle Shaping, with Kathryn, via YouTube - downloaded & burnt with menus, chapters, & mixes - my REAL holiday fun
(transfirmer, had an incline section, used weights that were challening)
more weeding

Mon 3rd
already done more weeding

CLEDA
Saw that one challenge finishes before the last one starts, but still..
You're doing THREE challenges at once?

GOALS - as listed in the "Add 'em Up" Checkin
• DAILY exercise, include dog walks, but *ahem* don't AIM for just that!
• Nutrition - we ALL know what that means - AND it means WEIGHT LOSS!!
• evening focus is embroidery - working on a doiley left over from MIL - she hadn't started it so it's all my doings
• bed reading Breath: The new science of a lost art

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-03-22, 06:41 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: Never said I was smart! lol. Yep .... but if I add them all up? it ends up being LESS than what I do if left to my own devices. Sort of. But, I do get tired. (as my check in will show!) I hate when the router/technology is not cooperating. I think we can all relate.

Waves to Vantreesta and Lili and anyone lurking.

So much drama on Peloton. LOL. Between the rower and will they charge extra? what will become of the app? and now Daniel McKenna seems to have dropped off the radar. So people are speculating on is he there? is he gone? What happened? hmmm. No one is saying much. This is about all the drama I can tolerate in my life. ha!

Lucky for me, this entire week is nothing but endurance on the bike. I can definitely handle that. The last 2 weeks have been tough. But, this is good. Then I get a (much needed?) break for a month. Not sure what I'll focus on. The more Helen talks about her FIRM stuff, the more I think I should do it and then I think, nahhhh. But I need some weight lifting in my life.

Hydrow has a new badge available, but it looks like only ONE row to earn it. That makes me happy. (It's a badge for an Alaska row.)

I should list some goals and get my act together. I don't know why I can't seem to get the nutrition side of it together. You would think by now, I'd have it down to a science. I don't. Anyway, wouldn't mind joinng Helen (at least for the month of October) and get a few pounds off by the end. Of course, one must put effort into it if that's the desired outcome.

so, on to the check in as the clock is ticking and I have to do something before work:

10/1/2022: Hydrow 30 mins. row with Aquil and Mac.** 60 mins. (supposed to be endurance run) but ended up being a part run, turned into run/walk, turned into "oh my gosh ... I don't think I can take another step" walk. but I kept moving and did use some incline. And I'm counting it

10/2/2022: 20 mins. Row, 45 mins endurance power zone ride
with Christine, 10 mins. Cool down ride (for a badge), Post Ride stretch

** Loved this row!!! It was blocks of 8 minutes and it was three of them. The whole row was talking about NJ. Yeah baby! bring it.

Onward to a new week.
Make it a good one!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 08:37 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Thank you Helen for another brilliant start to the month! You have me considering some Firm workouts as well!

Cleda - Busy as usual. Too many challenges for me, but they work well for you, so do your thing! I just tried a Walk & Run with Daniel, had no idea there was controversy. I'm not in any Peloton groups, so I'm out of the loop, and that's fine by me.

10/1 and 10/2 - painting and more painting, with my HS reunion on Saturday night. I volunteered to do the painting to save some money on the kitchen job, but that meant I had a deadline to meet. By Sunday night I was exhausted!

Today is a new day with hopes of getting a serious workout in. It's usually my run day, but it's been raining for 3 days, and even if it lets up long enough, I'm not sure I want to end up with soggy shoes. We do need to get the dogs out for a walk, so that will be priority #1 if the rain lets up.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 07:17 PM  
Helen

LILI
Our winter was so wet! I completely relate to the difficulty catching a rain-break to get a dog walk in, let alone a run.

The Firm: had a few and couldn't really get past the Stepford Wives thing, but I can see why they became popular - the format, simplicity, clear instruction, not a ton of equipment, and not ardously long.

CLEDA
If the drama on Peleton is the ONLY drama in your life, life isn't too bad!

VANNIE
Waves!!

Monday
Into 2nd week of holidays. DH leaving Friday, so Alice will feel it the most, poor puppy.
Finished the weeding on the front footpath. Heading down the path beside the house today. Need to do it when it's sunny - there is still a chill in the shade.
47min, The Firm - Complete Body Sculpting
largely indistinguishable from Total Body Shaping, even get the names mixed!

Kathyrn (gym buddy) has been given copies of the vids I'm making from YouTube downloads - eg Total Body Shaping & Complete Body Sculpting are on the one disc, and made mixes using both workouts.

She's a big reason I moved this way - she prefers circuits of cardio/weights, doesn't want to think too much, doesn't have a lot of gear, & 40-50min is her time-zone. The Firm fit that bill perfectly.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-04-22, 07:35 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - Sounds like Kathryn and I share the same workout parameters! I do enjoy a straight out weight workout, but I don't like too much repetition, and I'm watching the clock after 30-40 minutes. Enjoy your time off!
Waves to Cleda and Vantreesta!

10/3 - dog walk, shortened a little by the rain.
GHU's Walk & Tone to the Max, 42 min.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-22, 05:44 PM  
Helen

Tuesday
Went shopping to choose a pattern & fabric for a top end to a skirt I have to wear to a wedding. HOURS! Even patterns are almost $30!
Spent several hour cruising shops to find something, but with no luck. Even the major high-end deparement store didn't have a navy camisole - what?! All black or pale beige, though I did notice the VAST expansion in the range of what are essentially modern corsets.

Also weeding & a long dog-walk: went bush-walking for a change away from the streets & concrete footpaths.

Rain is back again here today & tomorrow - only light sprinkles predicted but that still means picking the gap + a spray jacket (in case).

One of the other maths teachers posted >> this video <<.
For ME, it was worth sitting through the whole 7 min of it. It is absolutely SPOT. ON!

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 10-05-22, 11:06 AM  
Vantreesta

The month has definitely not started out like I had planned. The wknd was good. We went to a rendezvous on Saturday where I found cute dancing skeleton earrings and some other fun things. Sunday we played D&D with our friends. Monday I woke up feeling rotten and spent the day on the couch dizzy. Yesterday the dizziness wasn't as bad so I was able to do a couple short walks with Cyric but had a bad headache all day and lingering dizziness and fatigue so still laid around on the couch. Today I still have a headache but got up at a more normal time and went for our walk. Other than the headache I feel much better today so I'm trying to get some things done that I was supposed to start on Saturday. I was so sleepy Saturday evening, coupled with allergies acting up, that I dozed off during the baseball game and had no energy to do anything productive. I need to stop looking at the first of the month as anything more than a date on the calendar. I get all motivated that with the new month I will get my act together finally and then stuff like this comes up and I feel defeated. Not a productive way to think for me, apparently!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-22, 08:22 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm feeling totally back to myself tonight. Yay! I felt really ambitious but didn't go crazy getting stuff done. Today was the last regular season game so I pretty much sat and watched from the pregame at 2:30 through the postgame except while I was cooking supper. I already feel like I don't know what to do with myself! I was wandering around feeling lost so we went ahead and walked half an hour early. My Creepy podcast does 31 Days of Horror in Oct so I'll be listening to that on our 3rd walks now that I won't be listening to my Twins. Although I will be following the playoffs and watching and listening when I can. I still didn't workout yet but I did some more spray painting and a little housework.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote