Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-22, 12:37 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Susanna, swimming is HARD. I trained for a sprint tri a few years ago and that was by far the hardest part. My runner friends and I joke that we can run half and even full marathons but a few laps in a pool just smacks you upside the head with how out of shape you are. It is truly a full-body workout.

What makes you ready for masters swim? I know you have to be 18 or over and can swim independently. Here you can join it and do the workouts. There are also swim meets but they are optional. I thought about joining but the times and locations don't work for me.

I do love to swim but there aren't a ton of lap swim options here year-round. The gym I go to has a pool that's about 20 yards but only up to 5 feet deep. I love the really deep (9-12 foot) lap pools!

Stick with it, it really is a great workout and in no way inferior to other options. Swimming slow isn't a bad thing--even when I was near the end of the tri training, swimming a slow freestyle was the most efficient thing to do.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-22, 05:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I am a former competitive swimmer during my college years. From time to time, I think about resuming swimming, but it's a lot of trouble to go to a pool etc. and I remember all the ear infections I had in those days.

The thing about swimming is that you need to develop your stroke work so that it's effective. That takes practice unless you've done a fair amount of swimming in the past. After that you will get good results, but it takes a while.
Old 10-05-22, 11:45 PM  
OSusanna

Quote:
What makes you ready for masters swim?
Nothing other than my own comfort and cardiovascular tolerance. They can help me work on my stroke in those workouts but I’d like to be able to get through a whole hour of their drills. Right now I don’t have the stamina.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-22, 10:20 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSusanna View Post
Nothing other than my own comfort and cardiovascular tolerance. They can help me work on my stroke in those workouts but I’d like to be able to get through a whole hour of their drills. Right now I don’t have the stamina.
That makes sense. But I'm guessing it's not a requirement that you do the entire workout? Meaning, you could go for an hour and work on the drills and your form, and do fewer sets than the others?

I say this because here, if the times worked for me, Masters swim would be a great way to get the coached workouts and really the only way other than signing up for adult lessons.

Jane, if you want to swim just get the alcohol drops! I put those in my ears after I swim to draw out water and that helps prevent ear infections.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-22, 10:35 PM  
OSusanna

Quote:
But I'm guessing it's not a requirement that you do the entire workout? Meaning, you could go for an hour and work on the drills and your form, and do fewer sets than the others?
Oh totally. I think they'd work with me even if I couldn't swim 25 yards. This particular club has coaches that specialize in new adult swimmers. I'm just feeling SO out of shape!

Just in case anyone is interested: https://www.usms.org/
You might find a club in your area. I'm hearing that the club is for all levels and goals.

Oh and I recommend the alcohol drops too! I will have to get some.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquatics, restarting, swimming, water aerobics