Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-07, 07:27 PM  
stephanie_932

Question Margaret Richard recommendation or other strength workouts

Hi, everyone!

I've always wanted to try Margaret Richards and am looking at her site. I know that her workouts are expensive but I really want shorter workouts that I can tack onto my cardio which I do daily. When doing the Firm or heavy weights I tend to bulk in my lower body, so I know that light weight with more repititions works best for my body.

I'm leaning toward getting 2 of Margarets workouts and I was considering Fitness Becomes You because of the 6 20-min. programs that I could tack on to 40 mins. of cardio daily. Or Beauty to the Bone with 4 30-min. programs. It looks like she alternates the programs enough that I wouldn't be hitting the same body part 2 days in a row. So, if you have or did have any of Margaret's DVDs do you like either of these workouts? Or would you recommend something else by her instead?

Another part of me is thinking that I chould I get something else that would fit my needs......But, I know Cathe doesn't do light weights........Jari's workouts are too long to tack on......and I can't think of any other instructor that splits up a rotation. Do you know of any workouts with weights that are only about 20 mins. that I can tack on to cardio daily?
Old 01-30-07, 08:20 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Tamilee Webb I Want That Body and Gilad Quick Fit are short. Gilad is only one body part for about 15-20 min but then you get to look at Gilad and the other beautiful scenery.

I am not familiar with this Margaret Richards but hopefully someone has done this and can tell you more.

I have the same problem so will be looking for other ideas people have.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 08:28 PM  
JessicaW

Personally, I love Margaret Richards' workouts and I do them regularly...I have been for a long time. They are both straightforward and challenging. Out of the two DVDs you mentioned, "Beauty to the Bone" is more challenging. When I bought "Fitness Becomes You", I was disappointed to find that it was more of a beginner workout and I have actually only done it once. Another DVD to consider is "All My Best" which is a collection of parts of her older workouts. I have found that with Margaret Richard workouts, the older the workout, the more challenging it is. But I love her straightforward approach: very easy to follow, there is always a burn, and her workouts get results!
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:19 PM  
sherry7899

Stephanie,

There are two tv stations in PA that broadcast her tv show:

http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/station.htm

You could try her workouts for free if you live in either area.

I like Fitness becomes You a lot, but most people here are more advanced than me

Her Triple Threat and Good N Strong are very well chaptered. You could easily break them up into shorter segments. Plus, they're filmed outdoors, which is a big plus to me!

HTH-
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 09:29 PM  
stephanie_932

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899
You could try her workouts for free if you live in either area.

Sherry
I got so excited to see if I could watch some of these for free before I bought them.........and darnit......I'm not even close.......lol

Thanks for the link, Sherry.......I really appreciate it! ;-)

Quote:
Tamilee Webb I Want That Body and Gilad Quick Fit are short.
Thanks, Marie............I just traded someone for the Tamilee workout you mentioned.......so, that gives me hope! Maybe I'll recieve it before the weekend!

Quote:
When I bought "Fitness Becomes You", I was disappointed to find that it was more of a beginner workout and I have actually only done it once.
Jessica, can you explain what you mean by "beginner"? Could I use heavier weights to make it more challenging? I would consider myself a solid intermediate at best.......so, they might work.
Old 01-31-07, 06:36 AM  
JessicaW

Jessica, can you explain what you mean by "beginner"? Could I use heavier weights to make it more challenging? I would consider myself a solid intermediate at best.......so, they might work.[/QUOTE]

It has been a long time since I did this workout. Since Margaret Richard's style is low weight, high rep, she probably doesn't do as many reps of each exercise in this DVD (does anyone else know?) But yes, that is a good idea. You could probably get away with using a heavier weight. Hmmm, what a great idea...maybe I should pull this DVD out again and try using heavier weights! This never occurred to me! Thanks for the idea! LOL!
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 07:36 AM  
sundari

I like "Beauty To The Bone". This is very well chaptered. One of the lower body workouts is standing only and the other is floorwork. She is to the point without being annoying. The exercises are done in a way that while your moving along you also focus on the muscles being worked. And it is great to add-on to any cardio.
Old 01-31-07, 08:27 AM  
sherry7899

Minna Lessig's One Minute workout would be perfect for adding onto cardio. I think you can pick from workouts between 12 and 20 minutes for each body part. I forget the exact times.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 08:34 AM  
stephanie_932

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899
Minna Lessig's One Minute workout would be perfect for adding onto cardio. I think you can pick from workouts between 12 and 20 minutes for each body part. I forget the exact times.

Sherry

You know what Sherry........I have this workout and I totally forget about it all the time! Thanks so much for the reminder and for your PM!

Sundari........Thanks for that recommendation! At least I know I'm going in the right direction.
Old 01-31-07, 10:06 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Hi, I have Beauty to the Bone and it's 2 total body workouts with each broken into 2 segments, so you can easily rotate the 4 30 minute segments so that you are not working the same body part 2 days in a row. I think if you look on her website and click the title it will show the chapters in order. I like BTB, but it's not as challenging as All My Best (mentioned above) which is also 4 30 minute segments. AMB is not strictly an ub/lb split. BTB contains more form pointers and better back work (imo) than AMB. For up/lb split, there is also Good N Strong - I just did volume 1 and the ub was about 20 minutes, lower body about 35. (It takes her longer to work LB because you often work one leg at a time).

Hope that helps - Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard