Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-17, 10:29 PM  
danac99

Peak 10

I was wondering if anyone still uses Peak 10 workouts? If so, has anyone had success modifying them to be more intermediate? I'm an intermediate exerciser and these workouts have been sitting on my shelf waiting for that future day when I'm in better shape. I've decided I want to find a way to ease into them to get some use out of them.
danac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 08:21 AM  
bubbles76

I have used about half the dvds in the set. I would call myself an intermediate exerciser, some days advanced beginner The only way I was able to modify these workouts is to (1) decrease the weights or (2) do halfsies. I CAN do the full workouts, but I'm spent. Not exhausted in a Cathe type of way, but I only do a full Peakfit workout if I'm having trouble sleeping. Knocks me right out! Keeping it lower impact is also an option, but then it decreases the intensity. Most of the time, I do halfsies and if my knees are feeling up to it, I keep the impact in. The set is fun, but it didn't have enough strength work for me.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 08:57 AM  
muggle

I use them. If I'm not mistaken Michelle has a person doing modifications in most of the workouts. Sometimes if I don't like the mod, I do my own thing. You can also do your own thing for the Peaks. I just did one recently where the peak was a weird reverse tuck jump where your legs go behind you....uuummm NO! I love cardio and find these excellent! The music is great and goes really well with the moves. Her cueing is decent and the workouts can be fun. I suggest you simply try it. See what you CAN do and go from there. I think they are valid workouts. Give yourself a chance to grow. You can always just do 1/2 the workout too.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 12:14 PM  
clerkin11

I like Michelle and I like the music and I really like the concept of these workouts. The thing I have a hard time getting past is the warp speed. I want to like these more, but I get frustrated with them. Plus they're very choreographed (compared to a Cathe bootcamp workout) so it takes some time to get the moves down.
I like the straight cardio more than the cardio with weights. Lots of fun.
I agree with the other suggestions - use lower weights to start, go slower, modify and have patience.
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 02:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkin11 View Post
I like Michelle and I like the music and I really like the concept of these workouts. The thing I have a hard time getting past is the warp speed. I want to like these more, but I get frustrated with them. Plus they're very choreographed (compared to a Cathe bootcamp workout) so it takes some time to get the moves down.
I like the straight cardio more than the cardio with weights. Lots of fun.
I agree with the other suggestions - use lower weights to start, go slower, modify and have patience.
having been a Michelle fan for years, i was disappointed in one of the Peak 10s that i tried. you're right - warp speed. i traded it pretty quick.

all of the pre-Peak 10 videos Michelle has done are intermediate and very good. i wish she'd go back to this level. her "your best body" series is especially good, ultimate workout (uses high step), Shape, even her weight watchers Next Move is intermediate.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 03:18 PM  
bubbles76

Ah yes, I agree. For the most part, it moves along pretty quickly. I always went at my own pace, so forgot to mention that, but yes it does move quickly.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 04:37 PM  
mrsyancy

I love Michelle's peak 10s. I've done all of them several times and have done most of them using low impact moves for the entire DVD and still got a great workout. I personally don't think they move at warp speed, but they are choreographed so it takes getting used to them. They're not your typical AWT where you do a strength move, stop, then do a cardio move, stop, strength etc.... it moves from one move to the next without stopping, so once you get used to how Michelle flows it gets easier (imo). When I first started using them, they definitely felt different from what I was used to, but once I got used to Michelle and how her workouts flow, they became so fun for me. Of course YMMV.

Danac99, so I think if you haven't watched them and have time to, it would be beneficial to see how the workouts move from one exercise to the next and get a feel for them. But if you don't have time to watch them, then just start with really light weights to get used to them and still get a great workout at the same time. Hth
Old 06-03-17, 07:09 PM  
danac99

Thanks for the feedback!

Dana
danac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 07:45 AM  
owltx

I love her peak10 workouts as well. I am not sure if you are talking about the ones from the set or her individual strength/interval cardio workouts, but I will say her latest individual interval cardio workout (fat burner?) had some really good modification ideas; she actually had two modifiers, one for low impact and one for different move ideas (instead of going to the ground for bear crawls, do knee slaps). I think tackling by blocks is a great idea for starters - just do a couple of blocks at a time. The blocks are chaptered, so you could just skip the peaks entirely depending on how you are feeling - you will still get a great cardio workout. Her music is great, her cues are will-timed, and I love her variety of moves that work both core and balance into the workout.
Old 06-04-17, 11:07 AM  
Pam

I have never tried any of the Peak 10s. How do they compare to the earlier Dream Body sets? I modify the Dream Bodies to low impact and depending on the day maybe go slower. Maybe I would like these, too. Help me to cave on purchasing Peak 10. 😊😊😊

Tags
michelle dozois, peak 10