Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-17, 02:11 AM  
Helen

The Telomere Effect (a book)

This is a rave about a book, but it's relevant to this forum, as it's about health.

It's about telomeres - like the plastic ends on shoelaces, but on the ends of our DNA. They shorten over time, with stress, poor diet, exposure to chemicals.... and the shorter they are, the faster you age and the less you are able to fight off illness and repair damage. It actually explains, scientifically, why people under prolonged stress seem to grow old faster & their hair goes grey. It's about health at the fundamental level of our bodies. This is not some viral Facebook meme. Written by two Ph.D.'s, one of whom won the Nobel Prize for the work in the book!! This is new knowledge on how we function, and the book is written by those who first-hand did the work to prove it to be true.
>> The Telomere Effect<<

There are 3 main sections - mind, exercise, and diet.

Have finished the mind section.
Started (just) the exercise.
Diet is last.

Mind -
I've never been into spirituality (hard-core athiest), scoffed at the "mindfulness" movement - that's it's just old-fashioned meditation or what our grandmothers called "stopping to smell the roses" - which I still think, and I didn't believe it had any effect other than on mood/calm.

But that mood/calm actually DOES affect us at the level of our DNA!!! I'm a skeptic, and need science to convince me, but the authors ARE the scientists that PROVED the effect.

Elizabeth Blackburn discovered telomerase (Prize shared with Carol Grieder & Jack Szostak) in 1984 and has been doing research on what affects it, and telomere length, ever since - trials with control groups, ...
>> Here's another link to why the Nobel Prize was awarded <<

The book was only published this year - Jan. 2017. Perhaps it's taken this long (since 1984) to build enough hard evidence to write the book. It not only explains effects, but gives guidance about actions to take to improve telomere length, and therefore health and longevity. Very readable and pragmatic.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 06:57 AM  
ncl

I heard a podcast, perhaps with one of these authors as the guest and it was very interesting. I love stuff like this!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 12:09 PM  
Lannette

I have this audiobook on hold from our state library system. Dr. Dean Ornish used those same three areas to reverse heart disease, not control - reverse! I was wondering if his method impacted telomeres and sure enough when I searched my "go to" research website his work was mentioned heavily in conjunction with telomeres and anti aging.

You can find that info HERE. (Hope that works.) please be aware that most of the research on the site surrounds Eating. My intent is NOT to try to change the way anyone eats. Besides the foods that shorten and lengthen telomeres there is also some info on smoking and stress reduction.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 01:42 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info about this book--very interesting!

In 2004, I got a graduate certificate in gerontology and there was much talk about telomeres in those courses. (As a science nerd, I had read about them before that.) When I'm stressed, I think, "This crap is shortening my teleomeres!"

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 01:56 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Thanks for the links.
I have the book on my Amazon wishlist.
Old 06-04-17, 03:24 PM  
dnna

I don't know if this is revenant, but Elysee cosmetics have creams with the telomere technology. The brand is sold on HSN and also their own website. The owner,Linda Marshall is one of the top people in cosmetics.She was picked in More magazine as one of the 4 women in the cosmetic industry who are changing the face of aging. She had her telomeres measured after using the creams (for a long period) and she is 25 years younger than when she had them first measured.
I don't know much about this , I have not read up on it, but I did watch her presentation.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 05:35 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I don't know if this is revenant, but Elysee cosmetics have creams with the telomere technology. The brand is sold on HSN and also their own website. The owner,Linda Marshall is one of the top people in cosmetics.She was picked in More magazine as one of the 4 women in the cosmetic industry who are changing the face of aging. She had her telomeres measured after using the creams (for a long period) and she is 25 years younger than when she had them first measured.
I don't know much about this , I have not read up on it, but I did watch her presentation.
Not sure if her products can affect telomeres, but they are good products, I've been using them since 2015. I use the Elysee Fountain of Youth Gel Serum, Age Defense Eye Gel, Youthspan Tele-Genosis Day & Night Creams, and Pycnogenol Serum. I like that the products do not smell, aren't oily or heavy, don't have make-up (mica and or bismuth oxychloride) or silicones in it like others, and are made in US/WI. Pricey if not purchased in collections on HSN, but they seem to be better for my skin than all other products I have tried.
Old 06-04-17, 05:48 PM  
Lannette

I find it hard to wrap my head around the idea of cosmetics that lengthen telomeres. I guess I should just go to HSN and watch her presentation.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-17, 06:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I ordered the book, thanks!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 05:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Very interesting - put it on my shopping list, thank you!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, meditation, telomeres, the telomere effect