Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-12, 12:21 AM  
workoutjunkie

My left hip has been bothering me! Could it be kickboxing?

I've been doing a rotation for the past month using Cathe's 4DS. For cardio, I was doing the kickbox workout at least once a week, the bootcamp workout just a few times, and I subbed walking on the treadmill (at a faster pace than usual) for the step workouts. My left hip is not right. Could it be the kickboxing? Usually kickbox workouts don't bother me. The walking at 4+ mph? The weights? I haven't worked out lower body for over a week.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 12:31 AM  
Elise7

I think it might be the bootcamp. I don't feel good after all that jumping. And Imax3 doesn't bother me.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 01:02 AM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise7 View Post
I think it might be the bootcamp. I don't feel good after all that jumping. And Imax3 doesn't bother me.
Hmm...could be. Especially b/c I did it barefoot on puzzlemats. But I only did it a few times. Come to think of it, it may be the kickboxing which I also did barefoot on puzzlemats. It does have a bunch of jumping jacks, etc......
Old 12-31-12, 03:23 AM  
starbelly

I know that if I do too many roundhouse kicks I get pain in my hips (tight psoas muscle). There is a wonderful trigger point therapy books that showed me how to release the muscle and my pain went away. http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-...erapy+workbook

Of course jumping barefoot could also cause problems, but the leg angles required for some kicks could certainly be at the root of your pain.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 07:19 AM  
bearcatfan

I am pretty careful doing anything but front kicks, since I once threw my pelvis out of alignment doing a Tae Bo tape. I still do roundhouse, sides and back kicks, but I am very careful about form, don't go as high as I used to, and slow down if necessary.
Old 12-31-12, 07:21 AM  
JP44

Try doing hip opener stretches and see if that helps. I have osteoarthritis in one hip & am missing some cartilage in the other BUT if I do scorpion pose in all my cool downs, my hips don't bother me.

BTW, when my hips were at their worst in terms of pain, walking more than 45 min. at a time was incredibly painful so I learned I had to shorten up my cardio workouts.

HTH

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 07:58 AM  
bk1

I think I have some bursitis in my left hip, as I tend to sleep on that side a lot. What's helped is a lot of stretching. After exercising, and doing the stretches that are offered on a dvd, I add some of my own stretching, specifically sitting on a chair, and doing a hip opening stretch, and also doing a standing stretch that I saw in Turbo Fire.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 09:34 AM  
workoutjunkie

I'm on my ipad so responding to each post is a PITA. But I want to thank you all so much for your input!! It may be too many roundhouse kicks or the speed or height of them. May be no shoes. All I know is I'm going to take all this into consideration next time I do the workout and make sure I stretch thoroughly.

starbelly - thanks for the link - looks great!

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-31-12, 09:35 AM  
PhyllisG

I did something extremely painful to my left hip last winter and ended up in bed for a solid month literally unable to do anything--including sit up. I know it was a combination of kickboxing--I really got into it that day--and carrying loads of wood up 2 flights of stairs. Now at the same time of year this year it is bothering me again tho only slightly. Be careful. Take a rest. I am going to do the hip portion of Rehab your Body today.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 09:46 AM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I did something extremely painful to my left hip last winter and ended up in bed for a solid month literally unable to do anything--including sit up. I know it was a combination of kickboxing--I really got into it that day--and carrying loads of wood up 2 flights of stairs. Now at the same time of year this year it is bothering me again tho only slightly. Be careful. Take a rest. I am going to do the hip portion of Rehab your Body today.
Oh no!

My hip was feeling better, then I did the kickbox workout again. *feels dumb* Now it hurts again. Why did I push it?? I will take a break from it. Thanks for the advice. I hope yours feels better!