Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-12, 11:56 AM  
san4850

How to know when you're exercising too much?

I just started doing P90x+ this weekend (the sequel to P90x, but not P90x2). This morning I just couldn't do the routines properly. I just "sort of" completed the Total Body routine. I had never previewed the workout before, so when Tony announced the next move, I just kind of stood around and watched how the background exercisers did it, before actually digging in. Before starting P90x+, I did my own version of a recovery week, and even took 2 (nonconsecutive) days off.

Now I just feel kind of drained and exhausted. I'm not sick, and nothing hurts, and it's not like I didn't sleep well last night---in fact last night was the first time in a long time I didn't get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom before my alarm went off. When I completed the P90x routines, I felt sore (in a good way), yet energized, after the workouts. Is it possible my body is telling me to back off? I'm afraid to rest for a while for fear that I'll slowly get flabby again.
san4850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 12:12 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by san4850 View Post
Now I just feel kind of drained and exhausted. ... Is it possible my body is telling me to back off? I'm afraid to rest for a while for fear that I'll slowly get flabby again.
It's certainly possible your body is telling you to back off. I overtrained in the late nineties (running & weight training 1.5 hours a day, 6x a week). The first sign was feeling drained & tired. Then some odd aches began, as well as recurring bouts with PF. I quit running and cut my workouts down to 45 minutes, 4 or 5 days a week. For me, any weight gain issues I have are the direct result of my eating choices, not the duration of my workouts .... I kettlebell train with marathon runners each week, and they are very sculpted and only do kettlebell training 2-3x a week for 40 minutes -- nothing more. That makes me think it's unlikely you'll turn flabby if you cut yourself some slack. You might even see strength gains.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 12:16 PM  
Belle de Jour

Usually I feel drained, exhausted, achy, mentally unfocused and perhaps with a headache.
Belle de Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 01:59 PM  
blablubb

I would strongly advice to take a break, take 7 full days off of everything - no active rest or anything, just nothing for a very short period. One or even two weeks without any workout is absolutely fine, you will not turn flubby, don't worry. You even might gain strength.

If you don't feel motivated you need to take a break, better now than later, because later you could have a real problem (now it's still easy to handle). You will be motivated again after not working out, I promise. You will look forward to your first workout after the break.

I personnally think that all this home fitness systems are too long and too much, they are practically made to overtrain and they never mention the problem of overtraining. If fitness is a life style and not just a short period, than we all have to give our bodies time to recover regularely.
blablubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 04:01 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablubb View Post
I would strongly advice to take a break, take 7 full days off of everything - no active rest or anything, just nothing for a very short period. One or even two weeks without any workout is absolutely fine, you will not turn flubby, don't worry. You even might gain strength.

If you don't feel motivated you need to take a break, better now than later, because later you could have a real problem (now it's still easy to handle). You will be motivated again after not working out, I promise. You will look forward to your first workout after the break.

I personnally think that all this home fitness systems are too long and too much, they are practically made to overtrain and they never mention the problem of overtraining. If fitness is a life style and not just a short period, than we all have to give our bodies time to recover regularely.

Great post! Today is my first day of my rest week and I'm having a hard time not working out. I know my body needs this but its my mind that is making it difficult.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 04:36 PM  
zippity

I get crazy DOMS and flu-like symptoms; also, my PF flares up. I've learned to respect and appreciate rest days and weeks-even thought they're sometimes difficult, I always come back stronger.
Old 07-30-12, 11:11 PM  
Elise7

I work out 5 days a week for an hour each session. But for my job I am on my feet almost 40 hours a week. I am starting to feel drained and a little achy, just from my job. 5 hours of exercise is perfect for me.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-12, 11:28 PM  
boukilisa

When I overtrain I usually start out feeling drained and a little uninterested in my usual workouts. If I don't pay attention to my body it usually ends up with me feeling like I've been hit by a Mac truck.
Old 07-31-12, 07:36 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

For me - I'm always tired and start sleeping a lot, like 8-9 hours at night plus a long nap during the day. I'm sore constantly. I lose my appetite and stop eating properly after workouts, which only makes the sleepiness and DOMS worse. I don't get a post-workout 'high' at all.
Old 07-31-12, 04:44 PM  
Cowgirl32

Personally, I don't look forward to my workouts-I always do. I can always convince myself to at least do something, if my scheduled workout for that day just doesn't happen.