Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-11, 09:39 AM  
Fidget Queen

Cortisone Injection Atrophy

Ok, I wanted to keep my posts on-topic, but I failed. Please don't hate me!!

A couple of weeks ago I had massive cysts crop up on my jaw line. The very same day, I went to my derm and I expressed my despair at these things causing even MORE scarring than I already have. She said, we can give you a cortisone injection!! It will take care of it!

I got the injections. She said that if it doesn't go down, come back for more. Two days later, still swollen and in pain, I go back. I ended up with another Dr., but not her. This doctor was WELL aware I had been in two days earlier, we read my chart together. She gave me another injection in that spot. Fine. Swelling went down. I was happy. Even a little comforted, knowing that should new ones crop up, I'll just get them blasted.

Well, two days ago, as I was washing my face, I found that a huge junk of the "meat" on my jaw line is completely gone!! Not just a "typical" crater that you find from a scarred cyst, but everything is gone. It's like somebody came by and scraped the meat off my jaw bone for about an inch and a half!!

I called my Dr., but she just said it's probably fat loss from the cortisone, there's nothing they could do and I shouldn't have gone in for the second injection! I'm mortified, and devastated. All I want in life is to be scar free and prevent new ones, but then something like this happens. I'll never have a nice face, but did I need THIS, too? At no point was I warned that this was a possibility the first time, and certainly not that it became a good one when I went for the second injection. Isn't it their job to tell me these things???? I'm so incredibly upset.

Has anybody had atrophy like this? Does it grow back? My mom thinks it will, since it's not technically scar tissue. It's definitely not the cyst itself, as the damage extends far behind the actual cysts. And in my experience, if a cyst somehow goes away within a day or two of cropping up, it doesn't have the opportunity to leave a real scar. My doctor wouldn't say anything about it one way or another. As soon as there actually is a problem, they don't want anything to do you me. As long as I tell them that everything is perfect, then they want to be there for me.

I've tried looking online for information, but nobody knows what they're talking about. Apparently, it's a relatively common side effect, but nobody knows if it actually grows back or not. The theory is that it "might" but it's just a theory.

I've known several people who've had lots of cortisone injections (not in the face) who've had no atrophy.

For those of you without a face full of scars, feel like the luckiest human being on earth. You have no idea how painful it is.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 09:53 AM  
fit44

Was it a kenalog shot?
I had one in my hip and I have a dent where the injection site was. It's been 2 years and the fat does not come back. You have to get fat injected back into the site.

My dent is not this deep...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkD4zQJG3nI
I will tell you the dent got larger over a period of 6 months.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 09:53 AM  
Honeydew

I am so sorry to hear that.They should have warned you that could happen. the only advice I have is to go see another derm, see if the new derm has any advice...I wouldn't go back to the derm that did this.....I have a lot of scarring too, I know how you feel.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:07 AM  
casey

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It's terrible the dr didnt explain the risks of the injection to you. I found a website called "acne.org" and this is what someone answered to that issue:

"I have had cysts injected that left no indents and I've had cysts injected that did. 99% of the time the indents fill back in as your body rebuilds collagen in that area that the steroid destroyed from the injection. I only have one injection mark that seems to be permanent (it's over a year now) and a newer one that left a dent but seems to be slowly filling back in. It does take time, like up to 6 months.

But then again I had the cysts for about 3 months which I could no longer deal with. So ask yourself if having a 3 month cyst is worse than a 3-6 month dent? It's usually a trade off but in most cases will fill back in over time."

HTH I had a different derm procedure done once that I was very upset with and the dr treated me very arrogantly. I remember being very upset but I'm fine now. I cried so much my eyes were almost swollen shut. It is almost invisible now but I understand your feelings because the dr violated my trust by doing something I didn't want. I'm an attorney that handled federal ERISA insurance disability cases so when that dr's file was put in front of me for his disability case 2 years later, I told the law firm to give his case to another attorney because I was still mad at him and didn't trust myself to handle his case.

I say give it time and it will probably go away. Sorry you went through that incident.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Take pictures of the affected areas now in case you decide to pursue any legal action.

That said, I had a similar reaction when I had a Kenalog shot in the hip for severe allergies some years ago. Mine DID grow back but it took a long time, I think I had a full two inch diamater hole in the dermis layer on my hip for about two years, and then it began filling back in. My dent was even larger than the picture shown in the link.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wonder if any of those dermatological fillers would help while you're waiting for the natural tissue to fill back in? Those dermatologists owe you that much.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:22 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry that you are going through this! Please know my heart goes out to you. ((((((HUGS))))))

I had a cortisone injection in my foot years ago that damaged a nerve. It took a long time to resolve. I will never let anyone near me with a cortisone injection again.

Is there any kind of teaching hospital or university within driving distance where you could see a dermatologist? It sounds like you need to go for a THIRD opinion.

Again, I'm so sorry for your situation!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:25 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Is there any kind of teaching hospital or university within driving distance where you could see a dermatologist? It sounds like you need to go for a THIRD opinion.(
Excellent point.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:32 AM  
fit44

My doctor did not inform me of the possible side effects to the injection. I will never get another injection as long as I live. The sad thing is- the drug did not help me!

Pat58, I hope mine fills back in, but I'm not counting on it.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 01:32 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Take pictures of the affected areas now in case you decide to pursue any legal action.

I wonder if any of those dermatological fillers would help while you're waiting for the natural tissue to fill back in? Those dermatologists owe you that much.
I totally agree. You might have a case because it's on your face and not hidden. I think the derms should give you free Restylane or fat injections until the tissue comes back. Helluva lot cheaper than a lawsuit.

Get a consultation with someone who specializes in medical malpractice. This case would probably not be worth a lot of money so it might not be attractive to some attorneys. I listen to this law radio show every weekend and you can find an attorney through them.

http://www.handelonthelaw.com/home/
Old 05-04-11, 03:43 PM  
Fidget Queen

Thanks everyone. I was hoping for more positive experiences with this, but I suppose it's not really a positive experience, is it?

I've started documenting everything that happened, and what was said. My SO is going to take a picture when he gets home. My worry is that if I were to pursue legal action, they could easily say that they warned of this side effect. That concerns me.

I found a dermatologist to go tomorrow to document the atrophy and just to talk to about it. I also go back to my derms in the morning to confront them face to face. I'm not really sure what to tell them / demand of them. I'm also worried, because I want to do my final month of Accutane. If I switch doctors now, I'm afraid something will be interrupted.

I'm so tired of this. To feel so wretched in my own skin only to have it continuously get worse and worse. I manage to momentarily make peace with my situation and something happens. Nothing happens to the skin in any other part of my body. I bruise it, scrape it, gouge it, etc, etc, and I only get mild discoloration. A HUGE gouge from last summer resulted in nothing. And my face has to continuously be destroyed by pimples and treatments. It makes no sense!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote