Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-08, 12:50 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard's Triple Threat

Triple Threat upper body consists of six chapters. Margaret definitely got creative with the exercises, doing moves I’d never seen before. I’ve seen hand twists on the top move of pec flies, but she did it at the bottom. It was a bit awkward and I felt it in my biceps more than pecs. I wonder if this is a good idea.

She had pushups and triceps dips in two chapters and they fried my arms. I could not do all the pushups and just sort of stopped and started throughout. My motto is “Keep moving!”

Her triceps kickbacks were slightly modified. She held the working elbow with her other arm behind her back. Rotator work was an added plus and sadly neglected in most instructors’ workouts.

I matched Maggie (as she referred to herself this time) most of the time with poundage, but for shoulder work, I had to drop down. When she doubled the dumbbells for assisted biceps curls, she looked like she was struggling. Not easy, but that was the point.

She used the old form of upright rows, bringing the weights under the chin. Then that move segued into upper back work by bringing the elbows back. She also did some other upper back moves not usually done. Not a lat row in the place!

By the fifth chapter, about forty-five minutes in, I felt nauseous and dizzy. I looked at my watch and noticed it had been two and a half hours since I had eaten anything, so I don’t know if that had something to do with it. I sat down but didn’t turn off the DVD. I just watched the continuing deltoid work so I’d get a sense of what to expect next time I attempted this.

I did manage to do the side planks and swan, probably because I was horizontal, but felt wiped out. For me, an hour workout generally means total body, so I think I was attempting too much. So my plan for the future would be to do only four 10-min. upper body chapters at a time.

I posted this lower body review on another thread, but figured for anyone searching for info about Triple Threat in the future, it would be convenient to have the whole DVD all together:

I was a bit disappointed with the lower body chapters. Maybe because I was bored because she basically repeated abs/outer thighs/inner thighs three times with no variation. I was expecting her to work the muscle groups three different ways. Again, I didn't like her ab work. I wish she'd do more lower abs, which seems to be everyone's problem area. Her cuing wasn't that great, which makes it difficult to see what she's doing, especially wearing black pants, when you are on the floor and have to crane your neck. The music seemed to drown out her voice in parts as well.

The three glutes/hamstrings/quads chapters were tough and did vary a bit from chapter to chapter. She repeats one particular move that she did in Unplugged, that I've never seen anybody do, so maybe she invented it. It's supposed to be for hamstrings but I felt it more in butt and quads -- one leg in front of the other, weight on front leg, both legs slightly bent, she bends over the front knee, almost resting her chest on her thigh, and holds an 8 lb weight which she lifts up and down as she lowers and raises her body.
I don't know if I have the form wrong or what, but I can only do a few of these, unweighted.

For some reason, outer thigh work brings out her humor. This time she said, "I think we should do this for our recital. I haven't decided on the costumes yet."
Old 08-23-08, 01:35 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm a big MR fan and bought TT when if first came out. I didn't like it and ended up selling it. I had to look up some of my old posts to see why I didn't like it because it has been so long.

From 2005:

"Margaret seemd somewhat disorganized and distracted in this workout.

Hmmmm, I did the TT lower body one yesterday and I'm not sure if I like it. Margaret and the setting look fantastic. The jazzy music is extremely low key.

I substituted several things for the moves that I didn't like or that felt odd. There is not much calf work.

I felt like I had smoked a doobie or something. Everything moves very slowly. Margaret seems at a loss for words here and there. She doesn't do the reps to the beat of the music like she usually does. I'm not sore at all today. (Sculpture makes me sore)."

I have several of her older ones on VHS. I like the Sculpture workouts. Getting Better is a favorite, too.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 06:24 PM  
videofit

I agree that she seemed a little off in this. However, I was sore from doing both upper and lower body workouts and I know I worked hard.

Tomorrow I'm going to give All My Best a try. Can't wait!
Old 08-23-08, 06:46 PM  
gtmrfc

I bought All My Best but have only previewed it. I'm interested in what you think about it as I will be using it after I'm done with my Slim Series rotation.
gtmrfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard, triple threat