Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-08, 11:27 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I don't have the Classics DVD, although I know I would like it; I have the old VHS tapes, and still like Home Improvement (which was the same as the Non-Impact Fitness Formula, Mel). My favorite MR DVD is All My Best. I also really like Raising the Bar, which is a VHS tape using the Body Bar. I am not sure if it is still available.

Margaret just finished a Body Electric book, and according to her blog, it's being printed now. I am looking forward to seeing it! I also read on her website that she never received any compensation for doing her TV shows. I was surprised to read that because she has obviously spent a lot of her time and energy on making the shows over the past 20+ years. She said she only received money for the sales of the videos and DVDs. So, with that in mind, her prices now make more sense. It's amazing to read how she and her husband have taken it upon themselves to make all the new TV shows, and how he has taken time away from his law practice to film them. BTW, she told me at the NYC VF get-together that she met her husband after he wrote to her as a fan .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 12:33 AM  
videofit

I'm hoping her new TV series will be on in my area. That would solve a lot of problems if I taped it!

If you do the Unplugged series in order of broadcast, will you get a total body workout in five days or is it better to mix and match on your own?

In the meantime, I wish more people would post their opinions of her workouts because they are too expensive for me to make a mistake.
Old 02-21-08, 12:59 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Oops, Abbe, I know you're a fan and for some reason thought you owned the Classics dvd. Yes, I'd read all that info on her forum as well... amazing! So I don't mind the cost of her products so much now.

Videofit, I don't think it matters much in what order you do the Unpluggeds. Plus they're very well chaptered so you can mix and match exercises from individual shows. I know they are expensive and wish I could magically tell you that you'll love "X" or "Y" but I'd hate to feel responsible for you spending your money and not enjoying the workout! I really like Margaret but I'll be the first to say I don't think she's for everyone. Her programs are not glitzy and although she's professional she's not always that polished and in her newer videos she can come across a bit 'vague' at times, kind of like a sweet person who's thinking her way through something as she speaks, lol. IMO there's kind of a homespun quality to her videos - however, that's a good thing to me as I find her supremely relaxing to work out with. There's no driving techno music and frenetic, fast-paced movements; for me there's no dread at all with her workouts. Her workouts are low-weight/high-rep, and her older workouts are generally more challenging than her newer ones. I'm going to make a sweeping generalization here and say that, on the whole, I think she appeals much more to older people than to younger. I like her very well now that I'm in my mid-40s but I believe I would've found her boring ten or fifteen years ago. Hope this helps you make up your mind.

ETA - Re-reading my post, it seems I've played the devil's advocate but bear in mind I do really enjoy her workouts.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 08:11 AM  
sundari

Pre-Sale for Book and any DVD for $59.95

I wonder if this pre-sale special includes "The Classics"?

It would be a good price to get "The Classics" and her new book for $59.95.
Old 02-21-08, 09:01 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Videofit, I have several MR workouts and am glad I own them. My comments are pretty similar to Lucky Star's. Here style is high rep/low weight, but in her later workouts she incorporates some functional moves.
Pros:
dvds are well chaptered
most dvds are 2 total body workouts
she's low keyed but you get a workout - during some stressful times she was the ONLY instructor I could workout with.

Cons:
more expensive than most workouts
not glizty as ls said, but I find the production values fine - lighting and volume etc. good - wish i could say that for some of my recent purchases from other instructors (my newest one of her is probably triple threat, maybe she the unpluggeds have a more casual feel?)

You might check ebay and see what is available there. I found some VHS for a good price, if you can even use those!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 09:09 AM  
behaha

I just did my first unplugged yesterday and enjoyed it -- enjoyed her low-key style, the setting, and how many different muscle groups I worked in 20 minutes.

Yes, she's low-weight high-rep, but then, so are most of Cathe's workouts.
I view that kind of workout as kind of amped-up cardio and yes, it always aids my "definition," and my weight-loss goals.

The DVD was expensive, but considering I got eight (8!) 20-minute workouts for the $40, I think it's worth it. I spent $20 on a 40-minute Firm; this is a much better deal.

But only because I like the workouts.
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 01:23 PM  
videofit

I don't care about production values. I love Home Improvement, which is from 1988, but I didn't like a later one where she wasn't as focused. I like outdoor workouts, so that might make things more interesting. (sigh) Eight workouts for $40 sounds good. I prefer shorter workouts anyway.

Decisions, decisions. I could always trade it away, I suppose, if I didn't like one of them.
Old 02-21-08, 01:45 PM  
videofit

I just realized there are four different volumes/DVDs for Unplugged, at $50 each. I wonder which of the four is the best?
Old 02-21-08, 01:48 PM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
I just realized there are four different volumes/DVDs for Unplugged, at $50 each. I wonder which of the four is the best?
I think the first has 8 workouts whereas the others have less. So the one with the 8 workouts is a better deal.

Margaret is also having a sale now.
Old 02-21-08, 06:46 PM  
ms1971

Hello.
Abbe, thanks for your answer.

Mel
ms1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard, margaret richard results, triple threat