Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-07, 06:25 PM  
Calistro

Inspired by margaret richards thread, what are your favorites?

reading the other Margaret richards thread has inspired me to try some of her workouts, I have read the reviews, but due to the expensiveness of her workouts, I just wanted to know which ones are your favorites, and why?.
also which do you feel give you the most bang for your buck if you have them all?.

Thanks

Calistro.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 08:48 PM  
sundari

I like these:

"Beauty To The Bone" Vol. 1 & 2. I find them very thorough and complete workouts. I like that they are split upper body and lower body so I can do just upper or just lower.

"All My Best" Vol. 1 & 2. I like how they include workouts from several of her other workouts for each body part. And it tells you the title of the workout and the year it was made. It makes it more interesting to workout too. Almost like a surprise with each body part. New sets, new cast members.

"Sculpture Upper & Lower". Again very thorough and complete.

"Good N Strong" Vol. 1 & 2. Very nice outdoor setting. Different exercises.

I find no dread factor with these workouts. They give me a nice strength workout without draining me and killing me of any energy I might have left. She works me thorough and entirely with grace and a smile and innovative exercises in a relaxed atmosphere. Love the DVD's all being chaptered so I can choose what I wish to do or mix & match as I please.
Old 04-15-07, 09:29 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I had "All My Best" and didn't care for the dated outfits---that was my only beef.

I love the "Unplugged". I have major DOMS from my 25 minute workout yesterday-in my triceps! Yikes I am sore--she is so sweet with how she kills you. I love has she does different variations on the exercises to work the muscles at different angles. And I love the outdoor set with "Unplugged" and that fact I can play any music I want with it. I plan on purchasing all of this collection.

I bought "Getting Better" specifically because I was dealing with a chronic ankle injury. It's only available on VHS-but it's all seated or floor work.

HTH!
Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 02:00 PM  
Calistro

Thanks you both.

Calistro
Old 04-16-07, 02:13 PM  
Calistro

Thanks you both.

Calistro
Old 04-16-07, 06:48 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

The All My Best's (there are two volumes) are good in that they give you a nice taste for Margaret's work. I love her Fitness Becomes You...love the outside settings...and they're short (20 min.) segments that you can string together for a good full body workout.

I also like her Beauty to the Bones (two volumes). Her Sculptures are great, but I'm not really into splits, though I will do them.
Old 04-16-07, 07:35 PM  
Gardengirl

Unplugged sound really intriguing! You girls are really good enablers!!

Now, what's the verdict on Margaret's Good N Strong?
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 11:13 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
Unplugged sound really intriguing! You girls are really good enablers!!

Now, what's the verdict on Margaret's Good N Strong?
I've been watching her PBS show, and I "think" the segments are from the Good N Strong workout because that is the one they advertise at the end of every session. Yet her outfits change on different days, as do the workouts, so that has me a bit confused.

I have never known much about MR because her workouts were too pricey for me, but the chance to watch on TV gave me an opportunity to see what she is about. I am very surprised to say that I like what I am seeing on these programs! I'm sure you would either love or HATE the music, as it is NOT what we would normally consider workout music, and this is what surprises me, I like driving music to workout to, rock, disco, techno, whatever. Her music is gentle easy listening. What I like about her is that I can tell, like myself, she almost cannot NOT move to the beat of the music, she is very into the music and you can tell loves to dance, move, etc. I actually like probably 80+% of her music choices and it feels completely different from what I am used to, yet appears to be a GOOD workout! I think that the gentle music almost helps make it not seem so hard, LOL! I can see that I could actually get into these just for a 'change of pace' from the usual. On days when I feel like being more gentle to myself, and yet still want to work. Still won't buy them though, they are just too much money compared to other workouts, but I WILL record these and use them for sure! I think she is a fantastic role model for the over 40 group (that's me!). I am also considering putting on some weight after seeing these, LOL!! I think she is around the same age, though I have no idea really, but she isn't 20, I know that, and yet has none of the 'loose skin' stuff going on with her arms that I do, I think the extra weight not only looks very beautiful and sexy on her, but I believe it also makes her appear more youthful. No sunken cheeks, etc. My weight is up a few pounds right now, and for the first time all week, I don't care! Now, don't get me wrong, I am not in any way saying I think she is "overweight", only that she outweighs me by maybe, I don't know, 15-20 lbs, and is not the hardbody Cathe type (nor am I!). She is in MY generation (edited to say, NO she isn't, LOL!! I thought she was though, so what a compliment to her work!) and has a good body, but it is softer appearing and carries more weight than we do in our 20's, you know? I thought it was quite attractive.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 11:15 AM  
sherry7899

Sherilyn,

I think Margaret is about 58-59, but I'm not sure. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good n Strong is totally different footage than her tv show, but the outdoor setting is the same or similar.

HTH-
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 12:20 PM  
Tugger31

I have the Classics dvd and I'm really enjoying it. It has four workouts, one of which is primarily a lower body floor workout. The first time I did it I used 1 lb ankle weights and my legs were sore for days. I've only done the lower body portions of the four workouts so far and they're primarily all floor work which is what I was looking for. The floor work is basically the same sort of exercises on all four dvds, but with a few different variations, and some are long than others. I previewed the upper body portion of High Voltage and it looks good. She's definitely more high rep/low weight. Overall her music is cheesy, like elevator music and her dvds have an overall calm, but somewhat dated feel to them, but this really doesnt bother me b/c I really enjoy the workouts. She kills you with kindness. If you're looking for a loud, pumping music, heavy weight workout with the latest gadgets and equipment, Margaret Richards isn't for you.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard