Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-07, 12:58 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I think Margaret is unique in that she has had a PBS show going strong (no pun intended) for over 20 years! I can't think of anyone else who has had an exercise show on TV for that long. That says something about her popularity among TV viewers, especially since PBS exists by viewer support. Margaret's show has lots of supporters.

I think that many of the people who buy her DVDs are her TV viewer fans. Many of them are probably not even aware of VF or Collage or the rest of the DVD fitness world. Many of them probably only do Margaret's workouts to stay in shape.

Her TV show is only 15 minutes long here.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 02:16 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie_932
Calistro,

I'm not Jackie.......but, yes, you are right.......there is no music with the Unpluggeds (thus the name). Margaret uses soundtracks from Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Rob Thomas, etc. for the show. If she were to acquire the music rights to put on the DVDs, the price would be even more.......so, she has edited it out for this series.

I have all 4 of them and I love them to pieces. At first, I didn't like doing the warm-up and cool-down w/o music but now I don't mind at all. I tack these on to a 30-45 min. cardio workout and feel good that I'm getting in a strength workout, too. Also, because she spaces the body parts daily for each episode.......I don't have to do any planning. I just go in order of the shows and then repeat. There is no chance that I will be working the same body part 2 days in a row. I really love this set.
Thanks

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 03:38 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I don't think we can even get Margaret on our pbs stations here...I don't recall ever seeing her on tv. I just got hooked when her Fitness Becomes You dvd came out and someone must have talked me into trying her Whoever it was, I thank wholeheartedly...except when I'm struggling through her endless reps. Makes those "wimpy" little 3 and 5 pound dumbells feel like they each weight a ton!!!
Old 04-15-07, 03:58 PM  
Gardengirl

Lydia, I know you've done SS and like them (me too). I'm wondering if a Margaret Richard's rotation of some type is a good follow up to a SS rotation or too much of the same thing? I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 05:05 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I love Margaret, but didn't know I would when her show was on in my area - I even taped a few, but never watched them, and must have recorded over them

I did get Good & Strong from a trade, and loved it - but checked her site, and sticker shock slowed me down
Luckily I read this thread and am getting Shelley's video in a trade!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 05:08 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Yes...

both SS and Margaret feature low weight/high reps, though SS is "free style" (which I admit to knowing nothing about, but seem to have heard that that is what SS is...) and Margaret trains one body part at a time.

You might want to move on to something different: a Callanetics, Lotte Berk, Bar Method rotation maybe. Another option (of course, you would need some of these workouts!) would be TLT's and/or TLP's (I've often thought about following up a rotation of SS with TLT's!) or some heavier weight training, some of Cathe's material or P90X.

Those are just my thoughts on this. Hopefully someone who knows better will respond, but I hope what I've suggested gives you some ideas.
Old 04-15-07, 05:10 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

SOrry, Calistro-haven't been back on the computer. Yes, the Margaret Richard's "Unplugged" all have no music. I just turn on whatever-or listen to my kids fighting!

I also like that she rotates muscle groups on an individual basis from each workout--no thinking. They are short, too. So you can add on a cardio or whatever. At $50 plus s/h they are expensive but in the long run worth it-I plan on getting the rest of the series.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 05:49 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I think one of the major differences between SS and Margaret is that SS has more of an aerobic component whereas Margaret is strictly weight training.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 05:55 AM  
Dabbadooey

I think Priscilla Patrick (?) the yoga instuctor has also been on PBS for way over 20 years.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 07:04 AM  
Gardengirl

Thanks, Lydia! I'm trying to decide if I should do another low weight/high rep rotation (I like these) or do something totally different. I may pose this question in a new thread and see what the general consensus is!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard, margaret richard sale