Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-11, 07:22 PM  
shortie

Huh -- I always thought turnip thighs meant saddlebags on the sides (which would give a silhouette kind of like a turnip . . . ). OK, learn something new every day!
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:48 PM  
JeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Huh -- I always thought turnip thighs meant saddlebags on the sides (which would give a silhouette kind of like a turnip . . . ). OK, learn something new every day!
If I remember correctly the first time I ever heard the term "turnip thighs" was from the Firm/Anna B. She attributed it to too much step aerobics overdeveloping the quad. She contrasted this with the Firm workouts, that used less stepping overall. It may have been in Firm For Life--I'll have to check.
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 10:35 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
I remember lots of threads about this, years back --
I'm dying to see a picture of someone who actually had this happen to them, because I've seen it described many times but I can't quite picture it!
Maybe that's why it's VF urban legend - there are no pictures of it. Like the Loch Ness Monster or Sasquatch.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:32 AM  
zumzum

I'm afraid I have no photographic proof, but when I was firming for awhile my rear not only got larger and stuck out more, it started going from curvy to boxy. My booty is naturally bubbilicious, so I didn't really need the extra volume.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 04:37 PM  
firmaniac

I don't recall hearing that term before When I began Firming in 3/98 I had the luxury of acquiring all the videos up 'till then. And did note that my rear view went from lackluster flat-ish to Bubble. I recall all I wanted was to look like Tracie on the cover of Hare haha I only used the wood Fannylifter(14inch) and did use Firm barbell and weights for leg press,which 'cured' my wonky knee aches and pains. As a teen I was teased for having a rear that stuck out,and that embarrassed me for years. Now I am thrilled it 'sticks out' and is defying gravity! But I wouldn't accuse The Firm of Sponge Bob'ing me LOL

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:23 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I remember the "shelf" references! I believe it was the workouts after the Classics, yet before the BSS series. Instead of flat, or bubblicious, some people's butt became more box shaped. Mine included! The top of the butt went straight out from the back, almost level and parallel with the floor, instead of nicely curving downwards.

I remember when one of the Firm instructors (I can't remember her name), led a FitPrime workout. And she even said to put your hands on your "shelf". I wanted to run in horror. No more shelf, please!

I agree with the cause. When I was developing a "shelf", I was using both stacked boxes and going "heavy". Now I stick with the 8" box & bodyweight is fine for me!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:30 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Having been afflicted with the dreaded Spongebob Butt, I can tell you it was no legend and no laughing matter. Just get a high school yearbook and stuff it in the back of your yoga pants, spine up, and there ya go. I have always had a high, rounded butt (dimpled though it may be) so it was quite a shock to see a flat butt in the mirror.
Happy Birthday, Sue

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 05:39 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Thanks, Renda!

I'm watching Spongebob Squarepants right now (guilty pleasure ) and his backside is ironing-board-flat, no shelf at all. Although he does have a bit of a muffin top.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 06:32 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I'm watching Spongebob Squarepants right now (guilty pleasure ) and his backside is ironing-board-flat, no shelf at all. Although he does have a bit of a muffin top.
I think it's not so much that your butt will end up looking like Spongebob's butt but that your butt will look like his entire body, aka a boxy little rectangular sponge! Heh. If it were that your butt would look like his butt, I'd have to wonder what we were all doing minutely scrutinizing a cartoon character's tush!
Old 03-09-11, 06:34 PM  
Scbayless

Gotta say my butt went from a flat box, to a nice round booty. No complaints from my firm tall box use. I lifted heavy too. I need to get back in to those...

Tags
butt, firm, glutes, ledge butt, myth, shelf butt, spongebob butt, square butt, the firm