Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-09, 02:28 PM  
Pascal

Please, Please, Please Help Me Lift My Butt

Please. My butt will always be 'big,' but I would love for it to be a bit higher. I know diet plays a large role, but we can't discuss that here.

As far as the exercise aspect is concerned, do you have any suggestions?

Floor work, walking lunges, running, barre - what has worked for you ladies (and gents) with nice, high glutes??

I own gobs of DVDs, a stationary bike, 5# to 40# in free weights, a squat rack, and lots of equipment (ankle weights, stability ball, tubing, bands, etc)..

Any and all video recs, exercise recs, etc. are welcomed!

Thank you!!
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 02:49 PM  
KathAL79

For me the biggest difference in lifting and firming my rear was finally paying proper attention to both my lower body and posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, low back, etc.) thanks to New Rules of Lifting and kettlebells.
I can't say any one exercise in particular is responsible, but I'll credit a combination of swings, deadlifts (both the conventional / bent-legged and the straight-legged variations, like Romanian), squats (especially back, or with the weight across your shoulders, 1-legged, and split squats, particularly Bulgarian, with one leg raised behind), lunges (I prefer reverse and static over front and curtsy), step ups, and bridgework (add in the stability ball if you're feeling extra evil). Personally I find going heavy - and I mean pretty darn heavy - on the relevant exercises (squats, deadlifts, lunges) makes a huge difference.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 03:07 PM  
CindyC923

Hi,

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...glutes_really#

I posted this link here a while ago. Not really sure it is what you need but it is interesting reading and taking the glute activation tests were very beneficial to me regarding muscle engagement/activation. Now when I do glute work, the next day I feel it all in my glutes instead of low back and hamstring aching and tightness.

Cindy
CindyC923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 03:09 PM  
cristinalatina

Anything with the Pilates side series!
Old 11-09-09, 04:01 PM  
videofit

Floorwork with Margaret Richard. It's lifted and rounded my middle-aged butt like nothing else. No weights necessary.
Old 11-09-09, 04:15 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Core Fusion Glutes and Thighs. There are 3 glutes chapters on this dvd - each 10min long. These types of exercises are the ones I have found most effective for the butt.
Old 11-09-09, 04:19 PM  
Raphig

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
Core Fusion Glutes and Thighs. There are 3 glutes chapters on this dvd - each 10min long. These types of exercises are the ones I have found most effective for the butt.
I have high hopes for this one. I haven't had it long enough to notice results, but whenever I do even one segment, my glutes ACHE. Way more so than with any other exercise I've done. They'll be sore for a couple of days. So I figure it MUST be doing something. I've been doing a lot of CS & barre work, and this must be hitting areas that others don't get at, which should help me to see some change.

Terri
Raphig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 04:32 PM  
cherimac

I agree with Ali and Cristina~my rear view has improved 100 percent with the combo of pilates and barre.
Old 11-09-09, 05:18 PM  
CourtneyOH

I really think that one-legged squats (like the kind that Tony does in P90X) also work wonders! No weight needed--for me, anyway.
Old 11-09-09, 05:32 PM  
fit_fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyOH View Post
I really think that one-legged squats (like the kind that Tony does in P90X) also work wonders! No weight needed--for me, anyway.

Are you talking about the ones with the back leg on the step or chair? I really feel those in the glute region!!
fit_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glutes, spongebob butt