Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-22, 07:05 PM  
rhbrand

Talk to me about Caroline Girvan

So yes, I've been subscribed to her channel for about 4 months now, but well, I've not really checked her out.

What are her programs like? How do they compare to say, Cathe?
What kind of equipment do you need?

I'm looking for something new for me to do and thought this might be what I'm looking for.
Old 03-29-22, 03:10 AM  
IceQueen07

She is great if you want weight workouts. You only really need dumbbells and a band if you have one. Some of her workouts are tough. I loved Epic I and II. She has a couple of programs to follow, depending on which rotation you pick, some are longer. Epic Heat is are short, but intense workouts. Most of her programs only have one day that she does hiit/cardio, everything else is weights and/or bodyweight. She lifts heavy. Personally, I like her more than Cathe workouts. There is no talking in her workouts, but you see what is coming on the screen so it is really easy to follow.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 09:23 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I’ve done a few of her workouts but not a full program rotation. In comparison to Cathe (I do mostly Cathe Live now) she uses heavier weights most of the time, there’s no voice direction just a picture in picture example of what’s coming up, and there’s a timer.

When I first started using “no voice” direction You Tube Workouts it took a couple of times to get comfortable with it. But now, I actually enjoy them. Since the exercise is timed, I don’t feel the need to keep their pace since there’s no set amount of reps. The music is just there for me, I don’t really care too much about it unless it’s annoying, lol, then I turn the volume down low and just listen for the beeps.

I say try a workout or two that you find interesting. She started putting a list of exercises and if it’s repeated in her post which I find very helpful. I can gauge what weights I’ll need.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-22, 06:40 PM  
buffmama

Time under tension is what I associate with Caroline Girvan. Full reps, 1.5 reps, half reps, drop the weights reps, pulses, iso holds, variations on the theme, stay on one side til you just can't handle it anymore.... You get the idea.
Old 03-30-22, 12:51 PM  
wendug

I've previewed many Caroline Girvan weight workouts but have yet to give one a try. They do look good, though. I previewed one of her HIIT workouts and it looked way to hard for me. Granted, I'm more advanced with weights than cardio, but her HIIT workout looked over the top with so many burpees!
Old 04-03-22, 07:13 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I discovered Caroline in 2020 before her channel got really huge, she had 100K plus subscribers.

I genuinely like her and am glad to see the success she is having, she puts a lot of work into her channel for sure and deserves the success.

However, a lot of her workouts are out of my league right now, a lot of moves are repeated for multiple sets and that is not where I am at these days. I do enjoy her beginner Epic weight workout that she uploaded though, also like some of her booty band workouts.

I am still subscribed but haven't done a workout in a while, maybe I will check out one of her floor leg workouts, those are good.

I also like Heather Robertson, she is probably more my speed to be honest but I like them both quite well.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 08:50 AM  
gigi

I have only done one CG workout. I look forward to see what she will announce tomorrow. I am not at all in her league right now, and may never be. If I did one of her programs, I would never be able to do her HiiT workouts. I would have to sub. I keep thinking about trying Heat becasue they are shorter and I know enough to substitute anything I can't physically do with good form.
Old 04-03-22, 08:52 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I discovered Caroline in 2020 before her channel got really huge, she had 100K plus subscribers.

I genuinely like her and am glad to see the success she is having, she puts a lot of work into her channel for sure and deserves the success.

However, a lot of her workouts are out of my league right now, a lot of moves are repeated for multiple sets and that is not where I am at these days. I do enjoy her beginner Epic weight workout that she uploaded though, also like some of her booty band workouts.

I am still subscribed but haven't done a workout in a while, maybe I will check out one of her floor leg workouts, those are good.

I also like Heather Robertson, she is probably more my speed to be honest but I like them both quite well.
I like Heather as well. My only complaint is I could not stick with her latest program because she filmed all the exercises at once, in the same outfit and pieced them together for a 12 week program. I think it is a great program but I'd like to see her film like CG does and workout "with" us. She does that with shorter programs and other workouts but the 12 week was a miss for me because of the way she chose to film it. Again, I know it's free and many finsiehd all 12 weeks. She has quite a community on FB.
Old 04-03-22, 09:03 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I have only done one CG workout. I look forward to see what she will announce tomorrow. I am not at all in her league right now, and may never be. If I did one of her programs, I would never be able to do her HiiT workouts. I would have to sub. I keep thinking about trying Heat becasue they are shorter and I know enough to substitute anything I can't physically do with good form.
I don't even attempt her HIIT workouts. They look brutal. Well, I've tried some of the ones that look easier and modified so much that they weren't anything like the actual workout.

I use her split strength work only and love it. I know I'm not getting the full benefit of her programs doing it that way but I don't care - I'm enjoying it a lot.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-22, 03:58 PM  
Erica H.

She posted her new program - starts tomorrow!

https://carolinegirvan.com/IRON-Seri..._mw5Ck0YTfFqnI
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors