Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-10, 03:34 PM  
PLS

Well heck what cookbook did I pick up after hers because I looked at pictures. Sorry.
Tara who's cook book is the Cook this not that?
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 10:45 AM  
TaraDrive

PLS, if you saw pictures, I'd be very upset because I have no pictures except the one of Jillian in a kitchen on the cover!

The Cook This, Not That is part of the Men's Health (Rodale) series of East This, Not That and Buy This, Not That. It details restaurant food, remaking them while explaining how dishes became so high in fat and calories. Nice pictures and before each chapter, there's additional guides on how to cook some genres (for ex. for stir fries it has a grid where you pick your protein, vegetable, spices etc....). Unlike some cook books that make over popular dishes this uses whole foods, not processed ones. The results have been several excellent meals.
TaraDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:17 AM  
PLS

Thank you Tara, I have all of the eat this not that books but hadn't seen the cook book yet. I also saw that Tosca Reno has a book coming out similar to these.

As for the pictures I always look at the cookbooks and I probably picked up multiple cookbooks and confused which one had pictures. But I definitely didn't buy Jillian's cookbook so it didn't click with me. I even looked it up on Amazon and although I defintely remember the cover, the recipe pages look exactly like the cookbooks I don't buy.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 12:51 PM  
cindi1

I picked up the book Friday and have made several recipes from it. So far everything has been quick and easy and really good. My kids and husband have been eating it up!

We have a mixed-eating family. My DD is vegetarian, I eat fish and the men (DH and boys) eat meat. I liked the seafood and vegetarian sections.

She said the recipes are designed to take 30 minutes or less and I'm finding that to be true. The ingredients are not that exotic for the most part. When I made my grocery list for the week, I had all the spices, and staples already and really just had to buy the produce and seafood.

So far, I've made:

Salmon with pepitas and seed crust (really good - pepitas, cumin are pressed on the salmon and it's pan sauteed and finished in the oven.

Smashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk and nutmeg - really good!

Chocolate Oatmeal muffins with cinnamon, orange zest and walnuts. My kids are eating these. They are dense and substantial - not fluffy. No refined sugar or milk. They do have egg in them.

Fritatta with spinach, potatoes, feta, peppers, mushrooms - delicious

Multigrain pancakes with blueberry maple syrup - kids ate these up!
cindi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 01:18 PM  
Susanq

Quite tempted to buy this book and the reviews on Amazon look quite good for this book. I'm guessing like others who have written on this thread that Jillian isn't a cook but someone has designed the recipes for her. Though she certainly wouldn't be the only one, I went to see Nigella Lawson live in London and it was the most disappointing cookery show ever. She started the demonstration by telling us that we had wasted our money on her and she couldn't cook. I couldn't believe it, so disappointing, she tried very poorly to make a basic biscuit, she couldn't manage to do it, so she asked her assistant to do it. This was a two hour cookery demonstration and all Nigella half attempted to do was make a biscuit very badly. So I'm guessing Jillian could only be better!!
Susanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 05:52 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanq View Post
I went to see Nigella Lawson live in London and it was the most disappointing cookery show ever. She started the demonstration by telling us that we had wasted our money on her and she couldn't cook. I couldn't believe it, so disappointing, she tried very poorly to make a basic biscuit, she couldn't manage to do it, so she asked her assistant to do it. This was a two hour cookery demonstration and all Nigella half attempted to do was make a biscuit very badly.
That's horrible. How much did you have to pay? Was it a class?
Old 05-03-10, 02:03 AM  
Susanq

I was so disappointed in Nigella's cookery class. Myself and my friend saved up and bought a plane ticket from Dublin to London and stayed overnight in a hotel because we were big Nigella fans. We thought we would get loads of recipe ideas from Nigella's class and learn lots of cookery techniques etc. The cookery class cost 100dollars and it was such a waste of money. At the end of the two hour class, Nigella had produced a poorly made biscuit that she needed help from her assistant to make. We couldn't believe that she couldn't cook and she even admitted it at the beginning of the class. I never used any of her cookbooks again since I know she didn't come up with any of the recipes herself.
Susanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 03:43 AM  
roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Maybe it's recipes using all the product placements from the Biggest Loser

Sherry
That's my guess too. She is quite the shill.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jillian, jillian michaels, tosca reno