Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-26-24, 04:53 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
The Maid (Nita Prose).

When I started it, I was very annoyed with the main character. I kept yelling at the book. (Ok, only in my head, but still). I kept sighing and was wondering why I was continuing to read it. Somewhere around mid way I got involved and by 3/4 of the way, I was tearing up. Go figure.

And now? I have a hold on the second one in the series.

Onward.
Cleda
I enjoyed the Maid so much that I recommended it to my husband (we have the Audible version in our library). . He liked it too so we got the second book (on Audible), lol.

I finished up all eleven “Will Trent” books by Karin Slaughter. I enjoyed book eleven but it mostly involved his girlfriend. It’s like Karin is going back to tie up all her loose ends in the Grant County series.

I’m almost finished with a Kindle Unlimited selection “The Next Wife” which is so terrible, I have to finish it. Very predictable and all the characters are hard to like. But I’m 80% done and will suffer through it, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-24, 08:54 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I enjoyed the Maid so much that I recommended it to my husband (we have the Audible version in our library). . He liked it too so we got the second book (on Audible), lol.

I finished up all eleven “Will Trent” books by Karin Slaughter. I enjoyed book eleven but it mostly involved his girlfriend. It’s like Karin is going back to tie up all her loose ends in the Grant County series.

I’m almost finished with a Kindle Unlimited selection “The Next Wife” which is so terrible, I have to finish it. Very predictable and all the characters are hard to like. But I’m 80% done and will suffer through it, lol.
I read somewhere that Karin is cranking out a few more Will Trent books due to the popularity of the tv series. She has a new Will Trent book coming out this summer. I loved the Will Trent book series though I agree the last book was more about Sara and the loose ends like you said.

The tv series is good but it is very, very loosely based on the books. As in just his name and the names of couple of other characters are the same. The story lines are almost all completely different except for the first one or two I think and the characters are totally different for the most part. It's still a decent show but I was expecting it to be more like the books.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-24, 07:54 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I finished Stalking Ground by Margaret Mizushima. I'm really enjoying these books, especially the relationship between the cop and her canine partner.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-24, 10:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I don't think I mentioned that I'm reading a classic sci-fi, Robert Heinlein's Friday. I like it, but I forgot that has a tendency to be very wordy and meandering at times, so it's a bit of a slower read than I usually enjoy for a novel. I think I need some light fluff after this!
I wound up giving up on Friday - it just didn't seem to be getting any better, and I didn't want to slog through the rest (even though I was 3/4 through!).

Started and finished The Lying Game, a quick read and my first by Ruth Ware. Liked it overall but found the main character to be very annoying. Next I plan to read my first by Lisa Jewell, Then She Was Gone.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 06:07 PM  
TracyQ

I’m reading The Covenant of Water. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s 700 pages long and I’ve read 70%. I’m going to be sad when I finish.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 07:46 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I’m reading The Covenant of Water. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read. It’s 700 pages long and I’ve read 70%. I’m going to be sad when I finish.
We seem to like the same books, so now I'm more tempted to read this one soon. I've been putting it off due to the length. I've been reading a lot this year, but haven't read anything I enjoyed a lot. Poor Deer has been my favorite book so far.

I just started Run Towards the Danger: Confrontations with a Body of Memory after finishing I Have Lived A Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust and Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 09:05 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Wonderful book
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-24, 09:14 PM  
PhyllisG

Another book I loved. Caroline See. Lafy Tans Circle of Women. Highly recommended
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 09:03 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I read somewhere that Karin is cranking out a few more Will Trent books due to the popularity of the tv series. She has a new Will Trent book coming out this summer. I loved the Will Trent book series though I agree the last book was more about Sara and the loose ends like you said.

The tv series is good but it is very, very loosely based on the books. As in just his name and the names of couple of other characters are the same. The story lines are almost all completely different except for the first one or two I think and the characters are totally different for the most part. It's still a decent show but I was expecting it to be more like the books.
Thanks for the info about the new Will Trent book coming out! I’ll have to pre-order it. I’ve thought about reading the Grant County series but it’ll feel backwards, lol.

I really like the TV series! I agree, it’s very loosely like the book characters but entertaining. Some of last seasons storylines were slightly like the books but different characters. My favorite is the little dog Betty! She has the best facial expressions.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-24, 10:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Thanks for the info about the new Will Trent book coming out! I’ll have to pre-order it. I’ve thought about reading the Grant County series but it’ll feel backwards, lol.

I really like the TV series! I agree, it’s very loosely like the book characters but entertaining. Some of last seasons storylines were slightly like the books but different characters. My favorite is the little dog Betty! She has the best facial expressions.
I did really like the Grant County series too but like Will Trent better. I think you would get some nice backstory from the series.

Yes Betty is definitely a key player
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, winter reading