Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-21, 02:23 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
AMEN. since I've gotten dangerously sick, I now have a better appreciation, different view of exercise.. and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing to do it..
Oh, Cheryl, I wasn't aware that you were sick. How can I pray for you?
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 02:25 PM  
JENILU

Sadly. click bait, even on youtube suggests you can get a 6 pack from walking, lol.

I still have to keep my mind in check. I exercise for so many health reasons listed above and would have to work wayyyy harder than I think my body is able at this time to have one of those old dreams. i hate it about myself, and its what I keep having to fix in my mind, is following an instructor that doesn't have a body like I want. I have gotten a LOT better over the years, but it still sneaks up sometimes.

A VERY ugly example is when I was emaciated (meds, depression, cigs, hard job, etc..) and I tried the 10 minute solution Bootcamp (i think)- Sjhe is on a few Fit Prime videos. Since I was emaciated, and her abs stuck out a little (probably from muscle, but I was in such a bad headspace after an ex that left me for a very petite skinny woman when I was a little overweight, that I had very unhealthy body vision). I am so ashamed of those days. Those voices that seem to get in your head from ears like that seem to pop out hear and there, but I am much better in mind and reasons than I was then.
(Y'all please don't come for me. I am ashamed of that person and was admitting it because society and our own insecurities can be very hard to grow out of)
I think years on here have helped so many of us grow up in our ideals for ourselves- while we still may want better for ourselves and thats ok, we don't have a therapy needed view of it). I have left and come back so many times because I just need y'all. Most people I know don't even know or care what healthy living is- but years of having no choice puts you on that road, even if noone around you chooses to follow.
(If my long comments bother anyone, please PM me. i seem to have no earthly idea how to summarize)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 02:28 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I’m older, fatter and happier
Loved your whole post, but this needs to be a bumper sticker. Anyone game?? We live life so much better- and actually have a life if we are happier with who we are instead of worrying what we will look like doing it. Bless you!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 03:34 PM  
BunnyHop

My views have shifted after having been caregiver to my elderly dad in his final years of life.

Basic functional strength really, really matters. The older you get, the more you need a good foundation of it.

When I was younger I enjoyed feeling fit, but I do admit that part of my motivation was just that I enjoyed being so slender and tiny.
Old 07-29-21, 03:54 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Now that I’m older, fatter and happier, I no longer exercise to be slim. If I go more than a few days without exercise, I have back issues and am a bit grumpier.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being able to look (and move) like some of the instructors. Sadly, even when a size 6 was getting a bit loose on me, I wasn’t happy with my appearance. Now I exercise because it feels good. I value the gifts of strength and mobility and hope to keep them as I age. So many people cannot get around or are completely disabled. I always took mobility for granted as a youth. Now I realize how fortunate I have been. I guess now instead of focusing on my many imperfections, I focus on my blessings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
My focus has changed over the years. I now try to address bone health, working around injuries and balance/fall-prevention. I've added more rest days/stretch/balance/mobility work than in the past.

amen.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 03:56 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Loved your whole post, but this needs to be a bumper sticker. Anyone game?? We live life so much better- and actually have a life if we are happier with who we are instead of worrying what we will look like doing it. Bless you!
I want to believe that that is why movie stars who have faded out and gained weight are happier now.. They don't have to maintain the rigors it takes to have a gymnastic body. Men and Women alike

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-29-21, 03:58 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Oh, Cheryl, I wasn't aware that you were sick. How can I pray for you?
amen. thank you thank you. I have snuk in a few times but while I was sick, exercise was not at the top of the list.

Just lifting me up works for me

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-29-21, 04:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
AMEN. since I've gotten dangerously sick, I now have a better appreciation, different view of exercise.. and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing to do it..
I'm glad you've rebounded enough to be able to exercise and to start posting again.

Lifting you up for continued health!! 🙏

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 04:30 PM  
Gams

I’m not sure movie stars who have faded and gained weight are happier now - especially if they were once considered sex symbols in their prime. I saw an interview with Candice Bergen talking about feeling invisible now that she’s older. And I’ve always thought it might have been best that Elvis and Marilyn Monroe died young because society wouldn’t have let them age. I remember all the nasty comments when Elvis gained weight. I had gone to see Englebert Humperdinck’s show and he did an impression of Elvis where he got down on one knee and said, “”Uh-oh - I can’t get up because i’m so fat.”. I still haven’t forgiven him to this day. 😊
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 07:58 PM  
wendug

I was a competitive swimmer from a young child up until college. I didn't really think of it as exercise, but as training. I was training for meets and to improve my times. After I quit swimming I actually lost a bit of weight and stayed slim until my late 20s. I blame my desk job and bad eating habits for that. It was in my late 20s I bought my first workouts and began my exercise journey. Initially it was to lose weight, but after discovering the joys of lifting weights, kickboxing, and step I loved the way I felt after exercising! Although I started exercising with the goal of weight loss in mind, it is the mental benefit of exercise that keeps me motivated.

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity