Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-21, 09:28 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
my nerve pain from the covid vax (which is slowly resolving itself, just needs a few months more probably),

He doesn't think anything is dire and hopes that giving my body a break will help even things out.

I'm also really been following Pahla B's advice about mindset and making peace with my body instead of trying to get it to do something that it just can't do anymore. I am able to do a lot of her workouts even with my knee, so at least that's something.

I really hope your injury heals soon, keep us posted!
I'm so glad you are having improvement in the nerve pain and that you found such a wonderful doctor!

Mindset and making peace with your body is so very important. That's my goal. I am making myself miserable physically and emotionally from being obsessed with weight/body size/calories/exercise, etc. It's gone on my whole life and I'm terrified I will never be free from it.

ETA - I don't think this is the case, but I'm starting to worry that I actually do have a stress fracture. I do not want to see a doctor.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 09:32 AM  
anetta

Erica:
I hope you feel better soon, I understand about the mental part of not getting your workout in.

Take care of yourself.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 01:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm so glad you are having improvement in the nerve pain and that you found such a wonderful doctor!

Mindset and making peace with your body is so very important. That's my goal. I am making myself miserable physically and emotionally from being obsessed with weight/body size/calories/exercise, etc. It's gone on my whole life and I'm terrified I will never be free from it.

ETA - I don't think this is the case, but I'm starting to worry that I actually do have a stress fracture. I do not want to see a doctor.

Erica
I really didn't pay attention to mindset or even remotely making peace with my body until I really spent a month solid doing Pahla's workouts and listening to her podcasts. I also really didn't stick to any consistent calorie count nor really pay attention to water intake nor even know what working out moderately even felt like since I was always overdoing it for my poor body. I was so concerned about losing this weight and trying to change my body through the ways that used to work that I probably did much more harm to my body than any good. I think I was chasing something that was long behind me. After about six weeks, my weight has finally stabilized. I haven't gained any weight since stopping my other workouts, nor have I lost any, but that's pretty typical I think. I'm in the beginning stages of acceptance I guess.

I do think you should probably go to the doctor and get it evaluated. I know that's the last thing you probably want to do, but if you at least know what it is you can treat it correctly and maybe do some PT exercises at home. I did my own PT at home since my insurance sucks and it actually helped my knee.

Hugs!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 01:42 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I really didn't pay attention to mindset or even remotely making peace with my body until I really spent a month solid doing Pahla's workouts and listening to her podcasts. I also really didn't stick to any consistent calorie count nor really pay attention to water intake nor even know what working out moderately even felt like since I was always overdoing it for my poor body. I was so concerned about losing this weight and trying to change my body through the ways that used to work that I probably did much more harm to my body than any good. I think I was chasing something that was long behind me. After about six weeks, my weight has finally stabilized. I haven't gained any weight since stopping my other workouts, nor have I lost any, but that's pretty typical I think. I'm in the beginning stages of acceptance I guess.

I do think you should probably go to the doctor and get it evaluated. I know that's the last thing you probably want to do, but if you at least know what it is you can treat it correctly and maybe do some PT exercises at home. I did my own PT at home since my insurance sucks and it actually helped my knee.

Hugs!
I'm so glad that you found something that works for you physically and mentally. That is so important.

Definitely not going to the doctor at this point. I know the orthopedists here and they are quacks like most of the doctors I've seen. Great surgeons, but terrible doctors. If it doesn't get better with rest, and I think it will, then I'll reconsider.

Erica
Old 06-07-21, 05:20 PM  
Erica H.

Update: saw a doctor today and it's just what I thought - posterior tibial tendonitis. He sold me some OTC insoles and told me to stay off it as much as possible for the next FOUR to SIX weeks. If no improvement, then a boot and MRI to see if there's more damage than he thinks.

This is devastating to me. I need to run for stress-relief (and weight control) and I have an enormous amount of stress right now. This is awful.

Erica
Old 06-07-21, 05:38 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Update: saw a doctor today and it's just what I thought - posterior tibial tendonitis. He sold me some OTC insoles and told me to stay off it as much as possible for the next FOUR to SIX weeks. If no improvement, then a boot and MRI to see if there's more damage than he thinks.

This is devastating to me. I need to run for stress-relief (and weight control) and I have an enormous amount of stress right now. This is awful.

Erica
I'm so sorry you're struggling with this! I know it seems like a long time, but follow dr.'s orders and stay off it as much as you can so when that time is up you will be able to run again. Maybe meditate to help with stress relief for now. I know, not the same, but everything helps! Sending positive vibes your way!
Old 06-07-21, 05:50 PM  
Erica H.

Thanks so much for the good wishes and suggestion, Wendy!

Erica
Old 06-07-21, 09:00 PM  
fanofladyvols

Erica I am so sorry at the length of time you have to stay off your foot but I'm going to echo Wendy's advice to do as the doctor suggests so you can avoid the boot if at all possible.

I actually am going to also agree with Wendy and suggest you investigate other methods for stress relief. It's as good as time as any to see if there's any method or combination of breathing exercises, prayer, meditation that will ease your stress.

I totally get the release through exercise but it isn't always possible depending on the situations anyway and finding something else can only serve to equip you in the future to keep the stress from building.

I am even finding writing letters to others is helping me with stress. You could try journaling, doing easy word finds and or coloring.

I know those all seem a far cry from the exertion of running...but it's worth a shot.

Either way, please know I definitely think it STINKS.... BIG HUGS!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 03:16 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Erica I am so sorry at the length of time you have to stay off your foot but I'm going to echo Wendy's advice to do as the doctor suggests so you can avoid the boot if at all possible.

I actually am going to also agree with Wendy and suggest you investigate other methods for stress relief. It's as good as time as any to see if there's any method or combination of breathing exercises, prayer, meditation that will ease your stress.

I totally get the release through exercise but it isn't always possible depending on the situations anyway and finding something else can only serve to equip you in the future to keep the stress from building.

I am even finding writing letters to others is helping me with stress. You could try journaling, doing easy word finds and or coloring.

I know those all seem a far cry from the exertion of running...but it's worth a shot.

Either way, please know I definitely think it STINKS.... BIG HUGS!!
Thank you!

I've been doing way too much stress eating, but I suppose that isn't what you and Wendy are recommending.

Erica
Old 06-08-21, 10:03 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Gosh, Erica, that absolutely sucks. I'm glad you went and got it looked at it.

I completely understand how daunting the time factor is. I'm still trying to heal my knee injury back from February! Mine gets slightly better and then I do too much and it's back to hurting again. I'm beginning to think it will just always be sore now.

I like the Headspace app for meditation. I never thought I'd be into meditation but I rather enjoy it. I actually look forward to it every day now.

Will be thinking of you! Hugs!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, injury