Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-20, 02:51 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

So sorry Donna! Wow, how painful that must be! I hope you’re up and moving on your own soon. Be patient and stay positive, I think that’s the key to healing and making progress.

I had ACL reconstruction/meniscus repair in 2006 after falling while playing volleyball. I had to wait three weeks for surgery and had PT for 4-5 months after and I was on crutches, then a cane until I could walk on my own. My knee swelled every day for at least a year. I remember breaking down and crying (out of frustration) in PT about two months after surgery. The therapist I worked with was wonderful! He knew my goal was to run again and he helped me reach it before I finished PT. Without his help, I would probably still limp.

It took about a year to feel normal again but I was conscious of my knee feeling stiff in the morning for years! To this day, if I stand or walk on concrete too long my knee swells and hurts. I don’t think it will ever be completely normal again but I’ve learned to live with it and work around it.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-20, 08:52 PM  
gigi

I just want to add how sorry I am as well. I had COVID then an injury myself (nothing like yours) but I understand the mental battle. I hope you continue to recover and don't give up!
Old 11-16-20, 10:52 AM  
warriorprincess

I broke my heel in 1999 when I was 39, resulting in a plate, and lots of large screws. It takes a long time to get full functionality back. PT is painful, and progress is measured in millimeters, especially as you get closer to 100%, and you want to give up and live with it. But you can't stop, not when official PT is over, not when you can walk without pain, not until you get full functionality back. Keep on working at it. You will eventually get it back.

I broke my femur in 2002. That one took way longer to get 100% functionality back. That one gave me a leg length discrepancy that I still have to be mindful of.

Both times I had them take the metal out. It's a much lesser surgery, and healing time is surprisingly short. I think I was only on crutches a couple of days.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 10:59 AM  
warriorprincess

I think I had something similar to PTSD after the second accident, since I relived the crash every time I closed my eyes. It was only after hanggliding again to replace that traumatic memory with more recent normal happy memories of flying that I was able to let it go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 11:37 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
PT is painful, and progress is measured in millimeters, especially as you get closer to 100%, and you want to give up and live with it. But you can't stop, not when official PT is over, not when you can walk without pain, not until you get full functionality back. Keep on working at it. You will eventually get it back.
Excellent advice. Love the progress measured in millimeters comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Both times I had them take the metal out.
Whoof, Nancy, you really are a warrior!!

When I pressed my surgeon on whether my foot could potentially need repeat surgery without the metal, he said it was a possibility. I elected to keep metal in my foot.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 12:48 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Donna how awful - my heart goes out to you. I wouldn't be surprised if you do have PTSD, after all that is very traumatic. I can't imagine the pain you've been in. And these times certainly aren't conducive to a positive mindset.

Sending prayers for physical and emotional healing.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 09:13 AM  
owltx

Donna, that sounds awful! I am sorry you have to through all this. Healing vibes to you!
Old 12-10-20, 08:55 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks, everyone, for all of you support and your inspiring stories. You see? I am so messed up mentally that I couldn't even read your replies until nearly a month after my original post!

I am happy to report that I am on the mend. Now that I am back home, I have been going to physical therapy in more familiar territory. (I started PT near my sister's house--a small town in the middle of nowhere.) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my physical therapist in my new rehab center. She is professional, tough on me, but very sweet and encouraging, too. I've made so much progress since starting PT with her and her very capable crew of PTAs--a few with whom I have worked before on various (more minor) issues. I am hoping that my insurance will cover PT through the end of this month, as that is what my PT recommends.

I started driving a week ago. (Yay!) Today I was able to put up my Christmas tree and a few decorations--so that's progress!

Thanks again for all of your kind words of encouragement.

Donna
Old 12-10-20, 09:24 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all of you support and your inspiring stories. You see? I am so messed up mentally that I couldn't even read your replies until nearly a month after my original post!

I am happy to report that I am on the mend. Now that I am back home, I have been going to physical therapy in more familiar territory. (I started PT near my sister's house--a small town in the middle of nowhere.) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my physical therapist in my new rehab center. She is professional, tough on me, but very sweet and encouraging, too. I've made so much progress since starting PT with her and her very capable crew of PTAs--a few with whom I have worked before on various (more minor) issues. I am hoping that my insurance will cover PT through the end of this month, as that is what my PT recommends.

I started driving a week ago. (Yay!) Today I was able to put up my Christmas tree and a few decorations--so that's progress!

Thanks again for all of your kind words of encouragement.

Donna
Such a great update! Thanks for posting. Glad things are going so well!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 09:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Good work! Thanks for checking in.

Happy Holidays!

Tags
ankle injury, broken ankle, injuries, injury