Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-20, 09:41 AM  
Sollamyn

So...Did I ever post on here about breaking my ankle?

Hi, I haven't posted much since the end of August because I broke my ankle on August 29th. It was a very bad break, broken in three places. I had to have surgery with plates, screws, the whole nine yards. I was hospitalized for a few days and then released to my sister, Elaine's house because I live alone and couldn't take care of myself. My other sister, Jane, took my cat to her house because Elaine couldn't handle me and my cat at the same time, along with her aging medically needy cat and two dogs, among other things going on in her life.

Anyway...I was able to move back home by myself on November 3rd and I'm getting my kitty back tomorrow. However, I'm still really struggling physically, which also affects my mental state.

I have been getting physical therapy for nearly a month, but I am still using a walker. Happily, I am graduating to a cane today. I'm not in a lot of pain (the bones have healed completely) but my foot in still sore and swollen and my foot and ankle are very stiff. My therapists are working with me on those issues but they said I could have some issues for 6 months up to a year!

I'm finding this all to be very disheartening and disconcerting, especially due to the pandemic (which is raging my part of the country). Getting back to some sense of normalcy (pre-ankle break) would be so nice! I'm working hard at PT and thinking about how to continue post physical therapy.

Anyone else had a serious break? If so, how did you handle the psychological trauma? I think I have PTSD from my experience (falling, seeing my foot in a very unnatural position , having to crawl across a room using mostly my arms to get to my phone to call 911 and then the wait until the ambulance came, etc.). Did you regain your physical abilities to your satisfaction? (I've been told that I may not regain my normal range of motion.)

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Donna
Old 11-13-20, 09:52 AM  
jbrigid
VF Supporter

Me, too!

I absolutely feel your pain! I broke my ankle on Friday, March 13. I remember it well because I watched the president on tv in the emergency room. It was my fault; I was walking down some VERY steep stairs in an antique store. I wear trifocals and have some depth perception issues. It was a bad break and dislocation of my left ankle and sprained my right ankle. Luckily my in-laws had a wheel chair I borrowed. I pretty much sat on my butt from March-May, gained 10 lbs. and REALLY missed being mobile. Physical Therapy helped. I was able to go back to my part-time library job in May (I'm a retired HS choir director) and started working out again on my birthday, July 14.

I suffer from a bit of PTSD myself. Going down stairs is a slow process these days, because I've been known to skip some steps on the way down in the past. I was lucky that I am back to working out. It took time, but my PT told me if I kept up with the exercises it would help me get back to activity. It's still sore at times, especially after I work out. Keep the faith, sister. Just keep working at it and it WILL get better!

Edited to add: The orthopedic surgeon warned me that I need a bone-density test because he didn't like the way my bones looked. I have been putting off going to the dr. because of my weight gain. It's something I really need to do.
Old 11-13-20, 10:15 AM  
cailleach

YIKES! That's scary. Glad you are on the road to recovery and back together with your 'family'. It's hard to be away from one's pet(s).

Wish I could tell you I had a major break but it was just a shoulder impingement. It started with something very simple - after waking up, sat up pushing the blankets off from bed and 'ping' felt something in front of my shoulder. I knew something happened but was still able to move my arm/shoulder. Hmmm? It wasn't till couple days later when I couldn't do a bicep curl I figured this was not good.

Had visits with doctors & Physical Therapy to work on the issue. All this time, I was still exercising and lifting when I should have given myself time to recover. I was able to move my arm while standing up but couldn't lift my arm while lying down. I knew I needed surgery. There are some moves I can't really do without modification such as side planks where there's stress on the shoulder.

Are you allowed to do exercises like PBS 'Sit and Be Fit'? As it been said on this forum, 'modify' just to keep your body moving. Oh, there's Margaret Richard Getting Better where she has her foot in a cast. All of the moves are either sitting or lying down.

Give yourself time! A lesson I needed to learn.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 10:20 AM  
alisoncooks

Oh, that sounds awful. I hope you continue to recover quickly!

I well-remember my frustration after my ACL surgery. It felt like I'd never be back to normal.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 10:54 AM  
Erica H.

I'm so sorry about your ankle!

I shattered my ankle in 1997. Like you, I had the plate/screws and then had a second surgery several months later to remove them (they were irritating the surrounding tissues and causing pain). It was an awful, depressing experience. I was told I'd be up and active fairly soon, but it took a full year to heal. Because it was taking so much longer than I was told, I thought I would have pain and be limping for the rest of my life and I got very depressed.

The good news is that my ankle did heal and I've never had a problem with it since. It is 100% fine now and I can do any activity I want. I run about 45 miles/week with no issues ever. I hope your recovery goes quicker than mine did and that you get the same results! Hang in there and be patient.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 12:05 PM  
Hazel Porter

This is not quite the same thing, but I had a bunionectomy in January 2018 and then revision surgery the following September to remove the hardware and both the surgeon and the PT told me it would be at least a full year before I felt more fully normal. Honestly, though, it's only in the last 6-8 months that I've felt like I'm back to where I was pre-surgery.

I would say stick with PT as long as you can afford to do it, and do your exercises religiously and often on your own. I told my PT what my expectations were for being able to resume my normal level of activity and that really helped us map out a plan to get me back to that. And be patient with your body. It is so frustrating not to be able to do all the things you were able to before injury, but you can get back there. As for PTSD, maybe ask your doctor for a mental health referral?

I wish you the best as you recover.
Old 11-13-20, 12:14 PM  
fanofladyvols

Donna I'm so sorry!! That would be so hard on anyone..esp. now. Your story shows such bravery how you got help for yourself. Not many people could have done that! I'd like to think I would have responded like you did!

My experience is so mild. I have had surgery on my foot and hated how long it look to heal. I had to fight to not baby it because I was afraid of the shooting pain.

According to the last Cathe newsletter, there is research about how both limbs benefit when you focus on the non injured limb. I can speak from personal experience that both feet felt better the more I was able to move the one that was not healing. So I believe it to be true . Anyway, when you've given yourself the time to recover necessary, don't be discouraged that you are limited with one.

I know getting your kitty back will help. Those kitty cuddles have special healing powers

Sending you healing vibes!!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 12:19 PM  
lisa122

Hi Donna

I am sorry this happened to you. I did the exact same thing at the beginning of July. I, too, had to have surgery. I know exactly what you mean about the mental toll it takes. Some days were good and others, I would wake up and start crying, especially in the beginning.

I would say by now, I am almost back to normal. I still have issues walking normally down the stairs. There is still some tightness that I am working on. The journey is definitely not a straight arrow. Some days you will feel great and there will be improvement, and then the next day, you may feel like you have taken a step back.

I wish you the best in your recovery.
Lisa

P.S. Just last week I was given the okay to start loading my foot/ankle again. Meaning I can start running again. It feels like forever since I ran
lisa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 01:43 PM  
Gams

I can relate. I broke my left knee in 2005 (it was the second time it had been broken). The first time I broke it in gymnastics when I was young and the second time my husband ran me down with the golf cart while we were golfing. I also had surgery with plates and pins, etc. I went to physical therapy afterward, but I hated my physical therapist who kept telling me I would never fully recover because I was so old. (I was 47 at the time.) I went to him for awhile but then my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer and went into the hospital. I wanted to be with him every day, so I stopped physical therapy and I would go to the hospital and do exercises in his room while he was in treatment. I did more exercises at home at night and also used Karen Voight’s Ease Into Fitness a lot. I’m happy to say my leg is great now - no different than when I was young.

I am sorry you got hurt but I know if you are a little patient with yourself, you WILL be able to work your way back to your old self. Good luck!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 01:45 PM  
unfetteredpast

Donna, I'm sorry this happened to you (and all the other warriors on this page!). My younger sister had a mishap on her bike in May and broke her ankle, requiring surgery complete with plates and screws. She had a slow recovery through the summer but is finally back in a normal shoe. Her ankle is still a little swollen and it will probably never be completely normal, but she is able to take her beloved dog for walks.

While not the same, I had spinal surgery last year and remember some dark days with my limitations. I finally hit at point where I cried my eyes out one morning when I dropped something and couldn't pick it up, and I made the decision to do what I could do (physical therapy exercises, primarily) and use my energy to be the best version of me. Some days are better than others, and my best version of me will always be a work in progress
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ankle injury, broken ankle, injuries, injury