Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-20, 02:48 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Dynamic stretching of hip flexors before glute work has been helpful to me.

It’s been a while since I’ve done Great Glutes, but I do like it. I don’t remember it being especially better for glutes than other lower body’s of Cathe’s, but it does fly by.

Leah Sarago has a free “booty” workout on her Facebook page now that uses only bodyweight and a band. It’s great! She uses some Contreras-inspired stuff in her Glute workouts now, though she always has done a lot of creative bridge work.

Whatever rotation or routine I’m doing, I now add something in for glutes several times per week if what I’m doing doesn’t include it. So, a couple of days of sets of hip thrusts (either barbell or band or both) and lateral band walks or leg lifts. Another day I’ll add single-leg RDLs and some frog pumps or bridges.
Do you have link to Leah's Facebook page? I can't find her

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 05:59 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Romanian deadlift. One-legged with a dumbbell or dumbbells, but you can also use bodyweight only.

If you google frog pumps there are several variations; google will bring up a bunch of videos.
Ah thank you!! I found a Bret Contreras tutorial on it and look forward to adding it to the mix!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-20, 10:35 PM  
angie_nrs

You might want to consider Cathe's lean legs and abs w/o, which I believe is in the same set of DVD's with Great Glutes. Lean Legs and Abs is my most favorite leg workout of Cathes. The music is excellent and motivating and the moves are fresh and fun. I also like to add on the extra leg bonus, which puts the workout in at 61 minutes but doesn't feel like a long workout at all! It really is a goodie
Old 05-25-20, 05:30 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Taramisu
I am posting some links that Taiga wonderfully passed along that I will continue to share on threads where this comes up because it's so helpful!! (Bee, can speak also on how it's helped her.) One of the greatest things I learned was to roll my hamstrings with a med ball to turn them off to focus on my glutes.

I have also added a YouTube link with exercises you can do unweighted or with bands from the glute guy, Bret Contreras. I highly encourage the use of bands.

Glute work
Guerilla zen fitness
How to balance your glutes start at 6 min mark
https://youtu.be/Rh44DSmJtLw
How hip flexors affect glute activation
https://youtu.be/xOg3pxXrakM

Sample of some glute activation exercises
https://youtu.be/Q8HzN_aC8NI

Brett Contreras glute exercises demonstrated
https://youtu.be/7XrI-jzLh0s

Hope this is helpful to you, too!
Thanks for sharing these! I will check them out. I have been hit and miss with bands but I really enjoy Cathe's band workout from the Lite series, so I think bands would be helpful.

I also took out my foam roller and that helped a bit too, painful though but being that I sit so much, for work I am probably going to have to use the foam roller several times per week if not daily.

Thanks again.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 05:31 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
You might want to consider Cathe's lean legs and abs w/o, which I believe is in the same set of DVD's with Great Glutes. Lean Legs and Abs is my most favorite leg workout of Cathes. The music is excellent and motivating and the moves are fresh and fun. I also like to add on the extra leg bonus, which puts the workout in at 61 minutes but doesn't feel like a long workout at all! It really is a goodie
Thanks for mentioning this one too, I looked at clips of both and they both get really good reviews.
Old 05-25-20, 05:33 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Dynamic stretching of hip flexors before glute work has been helpful to me.

It’s been a while since I’ve done Great Glutes, but I do like it. I don’t remember it being especially better for glutes than other lower body’s of Cathe’s, but it does fly by.

Leah Sarago has a free “booty” workout on her Facebook page now that uses only bodyweight and a band. It’s great! She uses some Contreras-inspired stuff in her Glute workouts now, though she always has done a lot of creative bridge work.

Whatever rotation or routine I’m doing, I now add something in for glutes several times per week if what I’m doing doesn’t include it. So, a couple of days of sets of hip thrusts (either barbell or band or both) and lateral band walks or leg lifts. Another day I’ll add single-leg RDLs and some frog pumps or bridges.
Thanks, I am going to do more bridge work for sure, unweighted to start and then add weights in. I also have some weighted balls that I use for this, I will stick one under one foot so I can focus more on one side, we will see what that does.
Old 05-25-20, 08:36 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
I really like Lean Legs and Abs. I don't have many Cathe workouts because she seems too advanced for me, but I took a chance with this workout and it is awesome. I've thought about purchasing Great Glutes to go along with it. I'll add it to my wish list.
Old 05-25-20, 11:59 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
Do you have link to Leah's Facebook page? I can't find her
https://www.facebook.com/pg/leahsara...=page_internal
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 03:45 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

Another good workout besides Great Glutes and Lean Legs and Abs is Xtrain Legs.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 07:43 AM  
owltx

I really, really like Great Glutes. Targets certain areas really well, and time never seems to drag on this one. Certain moves are repeated, but not endlessly. Little dread factor.

Tags
cathe, cathe legs, glute building, glutes, great glutes