Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-15, 03:52 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Menopausal belly pooch is a tough one. What you eat (or don't eat) is huge, but I also believe the shift in hormones is what starts it. I see so many women in my age bracket, I am 57, who are otherwise slim except for the dreaded pooch.
So true, Pam. It's the hormonal shift and lack of our hormones makes a path for the belly fat to form there. Some women don't get the pooch and maybe that's just hereditary or they tKe hormonal supplements. I was able to have 10 babies and keep my abdominal area flat. I even had my last three babies at 41, 42 and 45 and with watching my diet and working out my abs looked awesome. Once I was officially past menopause at the age of 50 things did start to shift. I have to be so darn diligent and I still can have a slight pooch. I have come to terms with it and don't stress about it anymore.

Cheryl
Old 06-01-15, 05:57 PM  
cherimac

Oh I agree with the shift. But like Cheryl I have decided not to sweat not having the abs of a 20 year old.
Old 06-01-15, 06:07 PM  
lorajc

I'm at a touchy point with my diet right now also....went over it with a close friend that is in her early 60s and looks like a fitness model, seriously, and she said I wasn't eating enough to support my injuries and not enough protein, as I'm only eating one meal a day and a few snacks to severely cut my calories......been doing it for about 6 or 7 months but I'm not losing weight, so she told me to add in some more protein and good fat so i just did that and I'm nervous about ADDING calories, but i trust her. So far, I've lost 5 or 6 pounds but I've been doing a Kettlebell Kickbox Challenge and its a lot more cardio oriented than what I was doing so I'm not really sure what the weight loss is from.

As mentioned earlier...need to ad in Pilates moves/core work.

What about power yoga....was thinking about adding more of that in.....do you think that would be helpful.

Mom of 10 --- you work out at an extremely advanced level for your age IMO....with all of that Tonique and chasing after your children and taking care of them, I don't think fat stands a chance! I don't think I could have done 90 mins of tonique in my 30s let alone your age....you are at a level of your own!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 06:10 PM  
lorajc

Mine isn't a pooch, I look 3 months pre go.

Also, I did not know that sugar subitute was bad for you until recently and had been putting it in my iced tea until I read that it accumulates in your fat cells as it has no where in your body to break down.....guess I was the last person on the planet to know this. Now I use stevia as Dash a says that one is OK. It seems like my bloating has gone down a bit.
Old 06-01-15, 06:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I know I hear on DVDs a lot abs are made in the kitchen and I know diet is important, and I am VERY aware of that right now....and since we are not allowed to discuss diet here, this thread is geared more towards, ab exercises that help hold you in? or I just read an article the other day that had tips on Belly Fat and said that taking a brief 15 minute directly after you eat can help belly fat. It also said that chewing gum does and the Reservatrol in wine does.
I read that sometimes when chewing gum, one swallows air that would lead to even more of a bloated belly.

I've always had a little poochy belly. I have low body fat and yet my little pooch is with me.

I don't like Pilates or floor ab work. I like some standing ab work, or hanging leg raises. Mostly, I focus on engaging my transverse abs throughout my daily activities, as well as during workouts. Someone (I forget who now) described it as "zipping" the abs.

At nearly 60, I have a nice 4-pack!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 07:29 PM  
cecififi

I am the same - increased belly fat during menopause. This is what has worked for me to lose about 6 or 7 pounds and really help flatten my abs more:

push off breakfast - intermittent fasting really does work wonders. eat within an eight hour window each day e.g. 10-6ish. have a double lunch if you must but try to stay within this period. BJ Gaddour swears by it. I never do low calorie days.

I've added in Suzanne Bowen Streaming lately ($9.99/mth love it) and have been doing a lot of upper body/core workouts - major game changer for me. Doing body weight workouts always tightens my core/abs and makes my arms look great. I still do mostly cathe but i've been adding in SBF, Leah Sarago and Hoco. I've noticed real changes with SBF.

Also, look up insulin resistance. It's very common. Those darn carbs!!!!!

I am 48 (49 this month) and have been in menopause since I was 45.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 07:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
and I don't think you can jump. Honestly, for me, it's not 80% diet at my age~it's 90 or 95%. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
jump roping.

when you jump, even for as little time as i did, you automatically tuck in your abs and the cardio helps burn off the fat. you don't get overnight results. but the 2 factors i mentioned gradually over time brings it all in.
lora,

FORGIVE ME!!! I totally forgot that your foot is arthritic. I apologize!!!!

I thought of some things that can help - circuit training and kick boxing. both are low impact. some kick boxing workouts have you jumping and prancing around - but the ones that don't have as much might be Chris Freytag and keli Roberts (particularly, her 10MS kickboxing).

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 07:54 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I think some of it has to do with how short waisted a person is, also. I am very short and have less than 2 inches between my lowest rib and pelvic bone. If I had loads of space, my abs would be flatter.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 07:54 PM  
cowfishpro

Cecififi. Do you do your type of IF everyday? DH have been doing a different kind with the restriction 2 days a week for the past year. Even with that, I suddenly packed on pounds 2 months ago.

I've tried to keep my steps over 10,000 each day and really watched portion sizes every since. I started weight training ala KCM/Jari Love 6 weeks ago, too, and that seems to be helping. The weight is starting to come off, measurements reducing, tummy flattening out, and clothes starting to loosen up.

This time in a woman's life sure is challenging.

I could definitely see how HOCO would be effective for pulling in the abs/core. Glad that works for you. How often do you do that?

Like you, I'm also learning how glucose/insulin (carbs) is HUGE with ab size and overall weight as I get older.
Old 06-01-15, 08:03 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
lora,

FORGIVE ME!!! I totally forgot that your foot is arthritic. I apologize!!!!

I thought of some things that can help - circuit training and kick boxing. both are low impact. some kick boxing workouts have you jumping and prancing around - but the ones that don't have as much might be Chris Freytag and keli Roberts (particularly, her 10MS kickboxing).
No problem..I've actually found that jumping a "little" on the Rebounder is okay. That hurts LESS than walking briskly so I do jump on that a bit. I can jump just slightly on the floor without jolting it too much. Walking seems to get it because it constantly bends. When they prance in kickboxing, I go on the Rebounder and do it and that works. I actually love to kickbox and got out of it for a while. Need to start pulling those out more often. I need to slim out my arms. I'm actually doing a Kettlebell Kickbox routine right now and it has the martial arts feel to it that has me craving more. Thanks for the tips. Also yes, when I was younger and used to be able to lose weight from doing workouts, circuits and Barry's Bootcamp - the Body Parts ones were the only ones I was able to lose weight from!

I honestly think that maybe under eating may have been contributing to my weight gain. I may have been stalled. I had everyone here keep telling me ...watch your diet ...on all of those threads and I was so afraid to eat anything that I was honestly under eating. As a matter of fact, since I'm now paying attention to that and consciously trying to stay at a certain calorie intake, I just figured my calories and I was only at 1325 for the day with my yogurt for tonight already figured in....so I had to add some extra things in. I think I've been doing this all along and as my friend said.....this was not enough calories for me. I guess I should have known if I was doing it for 6-7 months and I didn't lose weight, something was wrong, but I kept omitting more and more instead of adding.

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause