Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-12, 02:17 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

You are not invisible Donna. We see you and I hear you. I feel some pain in reading your post. I'm sure I don't know but I see pain in the struggle or shall we call it, a Journey. This is your journey. You are making the best of it you can. Enjoying what you are doing because you know, it's okay. Most of all, it will be ALRIGHT.

it could also happen to your niece. what ever it is.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:28 PM  
txfitmom

I kind of am in the same boat. I am in my 40s now and have to struggle more to lose weight. My hormones are probably all messed up, plus my stress level is through the roof.

I like to think of myself as some of kind of experiment. I keep trying programs to see what works for where I am right now. I am not giving up though. Right now, my new thing is Pace Express. I just started the program today so we will see how it goes. I definitely think you have to work out smarter once you are older. My body simply cannot take super long workouts, high impact workouts, etc. anymore.

It is funny because sometimes mentally I feel like a 20 year old, but then I have to remind myself that my body is not that young anymore. I hate that I might have to give up some of my favorite workouts, but I guess there is always something new to try, a new genre to explore, who knows maybe I will love the workouts I am doing in the later part of my life even more.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:41 PM  
turbo1

Leslie I feel the same way, it's frustrating to not see success stories of us older gals, but today I found a couple inspiring stories of 50+. I hope its OK to post a link here. For me (like many others) it all comes down to how MUCH food I eat. I'm 52, advanced exerciser but I simply eat too dam much. I started gaining wt when I got a desk job....I don't move around near as much as I did when I worked in production, I didn't make calorie adjustments.

If you look around in the success stories there are a few over 50 (male and female)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/from-...#axzz22oVb4CpP
Old 11-15-12, 05:04 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

There was a great thread here in July or August that included an VFer's success story, please (anyone!) link to it if you can find it. I wanted to read it again.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:04 PM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I just wanted to come back and say that I only mentioned my weight to illustrate that it is the same all these years later. In no way was I saying that as a thin person I'm the one doing all the right things. My weight is what it is. If the truth be known, I've always had a hard time gaining weight. I would love to have more muscle, but alas, that's not my body type or my genetic make up.

For what it's worth, I thought that maybe my input would help someone. Not that I've ever had a weight problem, either before or after menopause, but maybe that's because of the things I've done over the years. Who knows? I just wanted to share my story. While it's not a "typical" success story, it is a long term success story of someone who has gone through menopause.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was trying to imply something I was not.
No, I understand, and it is good that all these years you have kept up with it. So have I, been working out since I was a preteen and the only time I stopped was bed rest when I was forced to while pregnant.

I sometimes get frustrated because society will look at you and say that you are doing everything right, and look at me and think I am not when actually we are doing the same thing. This is not your fault, it is just we get stuck on a scale number.

I had the weight under control for me, which is around 145, and then thyroid disease slammed me in the face....not a fun thing.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:25 PM  
Tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I just wanted to come back and say that I only mentioned my weight to illustrate that it is the same all these years later. In no way was I saying that as a thin person I'm the one doing all the right things. My weight is what it is. If the truth be known, I've always had a hard time gaining weight. I would love to have more muscle, but alas, that's not my body type or my genetic make up.

For what it's worth, I thought that maybe my input would help someone. Not that I've ever had a weight problem, either before or after menopause, but maybe that's because of the things I've done over the years. Who knows? I just wanted to share my story. While it's not a "typical" success story, it is a long term success story of someone who has gone through menopause.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was trying to imply something I was not.
Actually, what you said helped me a lot and I'm glad you posted. I've always been roughly the same size/weight for the past 20 yrs until I've put on some weight because of hormone changes. I thought logging my calories at Myfitnesspal was the answer because so many people believe in it, but I gained 3 lbs in the month I was logging. I was eating too big of portions for my body, but I was still in the right calorie range. What you said reminded me that it's all about the amount for me.
Old 11-15-12, 05:38 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
There was a great thread here in July or August that included an VFer's success story, please (anyone!) link to it if you can find it. I wanted to read it again.
Are you talking about Hilary's story? She is a great example! I remember a thread from her a few months ago. Maybe you could find it doing a search?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
Actually, what you said helped me a lot and I'm glad you posted. I've always been roughly the same size/weight for the past 20 yrs until I've put on some weight because of hormone changes. I thought logging my calories at Myfitnesspal was the answer because so many people believe in it, but I gained 3 lbs in the month I was logging. I was eating too big of portions for my body, but I was still in the right calorie range. What you said reminded me that it's all about the amount for me.
Thanks, Tish! It's good to know that I may have helped you!
Old 11-15-12, 05:40 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I found it! I think this is the one you mean. GO Hilary!

Why I don't think aging is a good excuse.
Old 11-15-12, 06:07 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I agree with what Jeanne posted. Just a recent observation on my part, but I've noticed many of my very thin friends, who claim they eat a ton, really don't eat much at all. My mom is very small and my sister was the first to bring it up to me about how Mom says she eats so much, but if you go out to a restaurant with her, she really doesn't eat much at all. I've noticed that if she orders a burger and fries or a sandwich and fries, she picks at everything - she'll pick apart the bread or buns and leave most of it behind and she'll leave most of the fries, too. My younger sister is also very thin and when I go out to eat with her, she does the same thing. She orders chicken wings a lot (the bone-in kind) and she'll eat a few (and there's not much meat on those) and start saying how stuffed she is from eating like a pig. I'm not saying that everyone fits into this category, but I have noticed it with several people I know.
I know women like this too. I feel that they're not truthful about what they eat because they want you to think they're superior - it's kind of the celebrity syndrome where they say oh, all I do is chase after the kids and I'm a size 2! It is really sick what women do to each other sometimes. I think I have mentioned on here before how my neighbor my age (early 40's) looks like a swimsuit model and told me she never, ever exercised. At a later point I asked her husband he told me that she does indeed exercise.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 06:12 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I know women like this too. I feel that they're not truthful about what they eat because they want you to think they're superior - it's kind of the celebrity syndrome where they say oh, all I do is chase after the kids and I'm a size 2! It is really sick what women do to each other sometimes. I think I have mentioned on here before how my neighbor my age (early 40's) looks like a swimsuit model and told me she never, ever exercised. At a later point I asked her husband he told me that she does indeed exercise.
I find this really bizarre! Why would she not be proud of the fact that she exercises? It's certainly not something to hide.

Regarding women who say they eat a ton, but then upon observation it seems they aren't eating very much... maybe their perception of what is "a ton" is different than yours (or other people's)? I find that the amount of food it takes to fill me up is significantly less than other people. Yet still, I am full when I've finished. Everybody is different, so you just never know. Maybe it really is just a difference in what it takes to satisfy them, and not a ploy of any kind.

Tags
menopause, menopot, over 50, shapewear, spanx, weight loss