Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-11, 04:25 PM  
Sara1000

Oh, those jeans!! Sympathy, please.

OK, it's true. As we get older we are more inclined to store fat around the middle. I weigh 10 pounds less than I did 5 years ago but cannot fit into the jeans I wore then

I think I'm about 2 inches bigger around the waist, 2 inches around my tummy. Today I tried on the pants that have been stored away since I gained the 10 pounds, and even though I weigh the same as I did then, they don't fit.

I am getting rid of them, because I don't intend to lose any more weight and I don't believe that barre or anything else I'm doing will make me a size 8 again.

I am 5'7" and weigh 122-3. Size 10 is good, stretch preferred. And postmenopausal by about 10 years.

OK, I'm done whining - thanks for listening. I would love to hear from others who have gone back down to an old weight but not the old size.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 04:36 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

have you considered that you added muscle to your abs? REALLY. I'm in a similar situation I'm within 2 pounds of what I weighed around 7 years ago but have a couple of pairs of pants that are tight in the waist (fortunately only the waist) other areas look good. You're height/weight ratio seems excellent. Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 05:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Wow, 5'7" and that weight sounds really good to me, especially post-menopausal. I'm shorter, weigh more, but size 6. ????? But, I have just given up on getting into the 4s I used to wear. I bought a size 6 gap jeans version of a 4 I'm sending off to Good Will and I have to say that the 6 fits me better than the 4 ever did anyway. My waist was always small, but my legs proportionally bigger, so the legs were tight, waist loose. The 6s fit pretty darn perfectly. Anyway, I think it's good to give up on those "younger" sizes and be happy with where you are!!

Maybe this doesn't sound quite like the sympathy that you want, but you do have my sympathy. My waist is much bigger than it used to be, and I'm not sure I can call it "vanity pounds" anymore..... I think they are "menopausal pounds".
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 05:29 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
have you considered that you added muscle to your abs?
Oh man, do I love hearing that!!! It's possible. I have some definition in my abs but I'm sure also some extra fat covering it.

Bee, my legs are relatively thin which probably accounts for why I can weigh less than you but need a bigger size. My weight is in my middle, not much in my legs.

Thanks for the encouragement. What is, is, so we might as well accept those menopausal pounds. If I lost more weight I would look like a skeleten (with a 28 inch waist (it's 29 inches now).

Plus a little extra fat around the middle is supposed to help your immune system.
Old 06-26-11, 05:43 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I have the same problem. I'm 6 years postmenopausal. I always had a very defined waist....very small in relation to my hips. Not any longer. Things have shifted. I have muffin top, I never had that till about 3 or 4 years ago.
I'm 5'6" and weigh about 132. It stinks.
I have jeans ranging from size 6 to 10 and all fit me right now. So size is definitely not uniform and varies greatly by brand. My size 6, 28" waist Luckys fit, yet my size 10 Liz Claiborne shorts are tight on the waist. Go figure.
Old 06-26-11, 05:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Sara, yes, we are built very differently. It does sound like you should not lose any weight, whereas I could definitely stand to.

True about sizing, but since both of mine are gap, and the same exact style even, I thought it was interesting to do that comparison (sad in a way, to see how my mid-section has grown, but in another way, not so sad, because I think at this point the larger size is more flattering -- that is, my body is now shaped more as gap intended the jeans to fit).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 06:31 PM  
donnadc

Last summer, I got down to my college days weight (135) and I know that I would not have been able to wear the same jeans that I had then.
I've always had most of my fat weight in my hips and thighs, but I've definitely gotten thicker around the waist after hitting 40 (46 now, but not menopausal yet).
So, I'm feeling your pain !!
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 06:58 PM  
Sara1000

I remember reading once, if you lose weight after 40/50 (can't remember exactly) don't ever gain it back, as it will come back in the middle and it's very hard to lose it there after meonpause. Your body wants that fat there to protect you immune system.

Funny, when I was younger my waist was always the first place I would lose weight. Not any more.

I have solved my muffin top problem this way: don't get pants so low waisted they will slip down if they are loose enough they don't cause the muffin top. A little higher, but still below the waist, and a size that doesn't squeeze me in keeps the muffin top from forming but my hips keep them from sliding down.
Old 06-27-11, 12:05 AM  
videofit

duplicate post
Old 06-27-11, 12:07 AM  
videofit

Sara, have you been building up your obliques? I never do weighted oblique work because it gives you a thicker waist and I prefer mine to be nipped in.

It could also be that fat weighs less than muscle so by doing a diet and exercise program to shift the ratio, not necessarily losing weight per se, would work. You might actually wind up weighing more but with a smaller waist.

It also might just be bloat from eating too many starches and sugars and/or salt. You could try drinking more liquids than usual so your body doesn't hang onto the water.

Tags
jeans, menopause, menopot, perimenopause