Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-11, 11:13 PM  
DirtDiva

Well I have finished Skogg and loved it! I cannot comment on RKS so I feel like I shouldn't even be posting. The half that I can contribute is Skogg is awesome for instruction and nailing it, and I can say that finishing I feel more confident now then ever before that my form is good, really good. I would think though with RKS you will have more variety to work with. The other things to consider probably, gym scene of SKogg versus outdoor with RKS. I don't know what the music differences are. I love skogg's non-intrusive music (no lyrics) which allows me to concentrate on the moves better. I start singing and its all over....
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 03:24 AM  
psnave

I'm trying to decide which is right for me too (or both). As I read through the threads on RKS, I can't help but wonder if I'd feel like I was doing a paper KB workout (not what I'm looking for). It is done with a voice over, right, and very little instruction? I would be counting reps myself and following the exercises sequence listed on the screen? I know this sounds stupid but I tend to rely on instructors to do the counting and keep track of exercises. Sometimes I'm pretty oblivious as to how many reps I've done or what exercise comes next. Any thoughts on this?
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 06:49 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
It is done with a voice over, right, and very little instruction? I would be counting reps myself and following the exercises sequence listed on the screen? I know this sounds stupid but I tend to rely on instructors to do the counting and keep track of exercises. Sometimes I'm pretty oblivious as to how many reps I've done or what exercise comes next. Any thoughts on this?
That's not stupid at all! Yep, they are voice-over, but in many of the workouts, Owen does give lots of tips and reminders on form.

About keeping count, there are some workouts that just use all timed sets or mostly timed sets, so you just do the exercises until the timer's up. I think there are about 7 of those.

On the others, you could either keep pace with Owen or Doug, or the girls, but the voiceover is not going to tell you what comes next. So if you are just following Owen/not looking at the side of the screen and not counting yourself, and you're doing rows with Owen, you wouldn't know when you are on your last rep and that you are about to do 20 swings, for example. HTH!
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 07:10 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
That's not stupid at all! Yep, they are voice-over, but in many of the workouts, Owen does give lots of tips and reminders on form.

About keeping count, there are some workouts that just use all timed sets or mostly timed sets, so you just do the exercises until the timer's up. I think there are about 7 of those.

On the others, you could either keep pace with Owen or Doug, or the girls, but the voiceover is not going to tell you what comes next. So if you are just following Owen/not looking at the side of the screen and not counting yourself, and you're doing rows with Owen, you wouldn't know when you are on your last rep and that you are about to do 20 swings, for example. HTH!
in addition to what counterclockwise said: if it is a workout where you count number of reps... i have NUMEROUS that i have to count myself anyways because the instructors can't seem to keep things even on both sides!

i personally, have no interest in doing a paperworkout... i want that dvd to follow along (i get crap from hubby on that every so often ) even though i may have to count during the challenges.... i don't have to watch the cloch during the intervals...
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 10:46 AM  
psnave

Thanks ladies!

How would you rate RKS and Skogg on the serious/dryness scale? Is there a fun factor to either one? I'm looking for bright, energetic and empowering, not dark and overly serious. Sidebar note: I think Doug = great eye candy so that might keep me pushing play. I have some highly recommended KB workouts that I don't gel with because the instructor is so serious. The dread factor starts building - could be just me.

How does the demeanor in Skogg/RKS compare to say Anthony DiLuglio?
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 12:19 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
Thanks ladies!

How would you rate RKS and Skogg on the serious/dryness scale? Is there a fun factor to either one? I'm looking for bright, energetic and empowering, not dark and overly serious. Sidebar note: I think Doug = great eye candy so that might keep me pushing play. I have some highly recommended KB workouts that I don't gel with because the instructor is so serious. The dread factor starts building - could be just me.

How does the demeanor in Skogg/RKS compare to say Anthony DiLuglio?
Haha...that is the first thing I noticed about this set was Doug, well sure...I'm not dead yet! But I can only compare Skogg to Anthony here. Skogg has a great smile, and sort of gravelly voice and he is to the point when he describes something. I like his personality a lot. The two background personalities of his crew are the same, they smile and comment here and there and its light banter, but not a lot of useless chatter. And then they are all serious, they go back and forth. I would say SKogg is comparable to Shawn T where he's serious, but cracks that smile and laughes every now and then. Oooops, that's if you have Insanity... Anthony is serious 99 percent of the time, and I love his style and his workouts. But comparing the two, Skogg is lighter in personality. SKogg is filmed in a typical manly gym setting, but it is not too dark or depressing. I like it very much and my main focus is on the instructors and I want to hear them clearly and I want good music that doesn't make me think *old or back in the day*.

Somebody should come in and complete the other half of this pretty soon. Hope this helps a little.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 06:58 PM  
s2546

i agree; love skoggs; instructor is serious about form and technique but great in general; i love the authentic feel of the gym but it is not dark; just real; imho; i do have both systems and katami, harper, aos; lurie;amy
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:47 AM  
Karianne

For those who have tried RKS, how is Owen's technique? From the clip, Doug's technique is not too good. My kettlebell mates also pointed that out that too. I like to know because I am also torn between this and Skogg.
Karianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:06 AM  
kali1

That's a great question Karianne. I'd like to know this myself
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 06:26 AM  
Missiscipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne View Post
For those who have tried RKS, how is Owen's technique? From the clip, Doug's technique is not too good. My kettlebell mates also pointed that out that too. I like to know because I am also torn between this and Skogg.
From what I have done (workout 1) and previewed on the other disks, Owen's form is perfect.
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, kettlebells, michael skogg, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg kettlebell system