Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-21, 11:44 AM  
Pam

Thanks for the additional suggestions of happier/lighter books. I am making a list. Plz keep suggestions coming!
Old 05-27-21, 11:57 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I posted about it in the prev reading thread, but Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher is one of the nicest, coziest books I've ever read. Lots of people being kind to each other and offering cups of tea.
I remember liking this one, but the only one of her books I can recall significantly is Coming Home (and to some extent The Shell Seekers). However, a felt the same way you shared here about a book by Maeve Binchy with a similar name, A Week in Winter.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 01:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I remember liking this one, but the only one of her books I can recall significantly is Coming Home (and to some extent The Shell Seekers). However, a felt the same way you shared here about a book by Maeve Binchy with a similar name, A Week in Winter.
I loved Coming Home & The Shell Seekers.

An older series I loved and have read twice is The Daughters of England by Philippa Carr. The first book is The Miracle at St Bruno’s. It starts during Henry VIII’s reign and the books follow each following generation of women through to WW II. I believe there are 20 books in the series. They are light easy reads. Your library may have them.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Daughters...rwt_0000_share

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 01:24 PM  
sherry7899

If you like Maeve Binchy and Rosamunde Pilcher I would suggest "Like We Used to Be" by Jean Stubbs.

I also would suggest Rosie Thomas and Marcia Willett.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 10:10 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
If I'm remembering right, SissyB and I use the same library system. The library branch near me recently started checking things back in immediately. I'm so relieved. I hated having the delay in getting things cleared off my record. I found it so confusing.

Also, the Pascagoula library took a bunch of books from me a number of weeks ago, but so far as I know my closest local one still doesn't take donations.

Maybe some of the details vary from branch to branch?
We do use the same library system so I asked when I picked up a couple of books earlier this week. You can return books through the book drop and in the slot in the desk, but you still can't hand the books directly to them. I don't get the point of that since they hand the books you have on hold directly to you. She also told me they have started taking donations again. They are still requiring masks.

I hated having the delay too and one time while that policy was still in effect I turned something in on the due date and I mentioned I had put that book in the drop box and she made a note on my account so it wouldn't be overdue.

I've finished both of the books I picked up, The Wife Upstairs by Paula Hawkins and The Postscript Murders by Elly Griffiths.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 10:26 AM  
sherry7899

My library is letting people go inside next week as long as they are wearing masks. I am happy to go back !

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 10:44 AM  
Pam

Thanks for the latest suggestions for "happier books". All of the suggestions were authors I was not familiar with, so great to have so many new ideas. My library only had couple of the suggested titles yesterday, but all of them should be available by interlibrary loan.
Old 06-01-21, 06:39 PM  
difit

Spring reading has moved to a new thread

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...01#post2927601
difit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading