Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-21, 07:20 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you all for your input!

I haven't figured out if today's low energy and "don't wanna" is bc I was tired, bc it was raining, or bc I reordered my morning routine. Or just bc no reason at all! I definitely know the longer I wait to start smthg the harder it is. Once I get in my gym I don't want to stop working out. Once I start cooking I want to keep going. Unfortunately I don't find the same to be true with cleaning!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 07:27 PM  
fanofladyvols

Haha I'm always ready to be interrupted while cleaning! I'm glad when I'm done ... there's no inherent joy in mopping the kitchen floor for me, etc.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 07:44 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I just don't know how to distinguish btwn body needing a lazy day (which still includes miles of dog walks so it's not often I do absolutely nothing, which makes me feel not good) and my mind being lazy.
That is a conundrum, but I'd say go with your body needing the break. Perhaps if you really felt great then you'd be raring to go for your workout, and if your mind is talking it out of then, then maybe there's some reason that you may not be aware of in the conscious mind but your body knows better. Hope that makes sense!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 07:49 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm so sorry you have a torn meniscus! Yes, definitely listen to your body. As I've gotten older, I can still do advanced workouts, but I need more rest days than I used to.

Maybe your body will really appreciate the break from your usual workouts and respond well to walking. I know it isn't what you had planned, but it might be good to shake things up. Try to see the positive in it!
Thank you for this! I had been waffling about doing so much working out and yet *still* gaining weight each month. I joked the other day that I could have just done absolutely nothing and ate everything I wanted and I probably would weigh less than I currently do! So, yeah, I agree, perhaps an extended break is what I needed long ago and maybe this extra 30 lbs could be from stressing my body too much. Perhaps working out so hard and not really eating enough to match that level (for my body and age) is what got me here in the first place.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 07:57 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Whether or not I push through tiredness or low motivation depends on so many things. However, if I'm doing yard work or heavy duty cleaning for a few hours I won't workout. I'm just too tired and my feet hurt. I've come to terms with it; it's OK. I can't go like I used to; stamina is definitely diminishing. At this age (62) I'm not going to be ripped and the goal is remain strong and flexible. If I only workout 3 or 4 days in a week I'm good with it.
I am the same way :-)

I used to feel guilty about not working out if I did a lot of yard or housework. Then (from reading a post in this forum) decided to give chores names like YardMax or CleanMax. I think about the squats/functional movements I’m performing while doing chores and how it helps me feel emotionally to have a (mostly) clean home and yard. Emotional/spiritual health is as important as physical health. It can have a huge impact on energy levels, too.

If I am just tired, or have a migraine, I will usually try to make myself do something. It might be something like Kundalini Yoga to Detox & Destress w/Maya Fiennes because it always makes me feel blissful afterwards -and helps obliterate a headache. I think it’s because of the deep breathing techniques she employs combined with spinal work. Also, I can almost always make myself do a light Margaret Richard workout like Good for You or Give Me Strength. I usually feel more energized afterwards.

I don’t exercise anymore to physically look good -that ship has sailed with age. I now exercise so I can do yard/housework, have good mobility and lead a quality lifestyle. I can lift and move heavy objects, dig holes, plant trees and do most things with relative ease. Mobility and strength are important to me now. If I miss a couple of days it’s not going to impact me adversely in the long run.
Old 03-25-21, 09:14 AM  
Vantreesta

I really appreciate everyone's replies. Talking with a friend on one of my check ins, I was able to better put words to what I was thinking, mental vs physical energy. I'm hoping that distinction will help me to look at how I'm actually feeling. And some days it's emotional exhaustion too. I know some things I need to do, it's just a matter of better time mgmt and self discipline. I need to go to bed earlier (this has been a struggle for over a decade probably by now) and get back to morning affirmations more consistently. Sometimes they feel empty to me but it seems like they do help me take on the day a little better. I was journaling this morning about sleep and hopefully my college-age self will listen to my wiser more enlightened adult self and commit to better sleep habits! I know that wellness is so much more than being physically fit, but sleep and sugar are my two hardest things to tackle!

So the kitchen never did get cleaned yesterday and I never worked out. And today I still did my morning routine out of order. But I have a plan and am heading out for a nice walk with my bub, so fingers crossed I take my mantra (courtesy of Kenneth Soares) to heart: I am ready for this day; bring it on.

Happy Thursday to all!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 07:19 AM  
buffmama

Just wanted to add that the middle round between nothing and everything planned might be an easier day. Mobility work, yoga, some movement maybe an Ellen Barret, even legs up the wall can feel good and you're 'doing' something. This is a good option mentally and physically.
Old 03-26-21, 08:22 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Just wanted to add that the middle round between nothing and everything planned might be an easier day. Mobility work, yoga, some movement maybe an Ellen Barret, even legs up the wall can feel good and you're 'doing' something. This is a good option mentally and physically.
I agree. I am in my mid 60’s and work 2 jobs. I try to do something everyday. This past week has been a week where my physical and mental energy is low. But while part of me is talking myself out of doing something the other part of me is telling me that doing something will make me feel better. When I do shoveling or yard work I may give myself a break and do lighter workouts, strolls instead of fast walks or stretching. For me, being physical in any way helps me combat the mental and emotional issues. After a day of good physical activities I might feel sore and tired but my mind feels better.

Tags
energy level, legs up the wall, motivation, rest days, self care