Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-15, 10:16 AM  
mtngoat

I am 58 now. My first rotation was soon after STS came out.

I gained a LOT of strength. Really functional strength - everything in life became easier.

I remember gaining definition on my arms. My shoulders and triceps (esp) were cut.

I did the 1 rep max. Even though I had worked out for decades, I would have underestimated the weights I needed for certain exercises.

I used a combination of fixed weights and old-fashioned weights with plates. I bought a bunch of 1 lb plates and was able to come pretty close to the specified weights.

Disclaimer (seriously!): I am a details person and numbers geek, so I loved figuring out what configuration of weights I'd need for each workout. To me it was fun. To others that would be torture, ha ha.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 10:35 AM  
nckfitheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post

Disclaimer (seriously!): I am a details person and numbers geek, so I loved figuring out what configuration of weights I'd need for each workout. To me it was fun. To others that would be torture, ha ha.
Same here
I do not think there is anything wrong!

Just to add, My clothing size did not change after completing STS. Now 1.5 years from my last round my clothes do not fit tighter.
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 10:46 AM  
lesia

Thanks Ladies!
I really appreciate the advice (both good & bad). I'm going to start it the week of Oct 18 and see what happens. I like that most of you saw a shrinkage in your clothing size. This is a goal of mine but really a fringe benefit. I just want to feel strong and be a bit leaner.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 10:26 AM  
daisyduke

This thread interests me I just started lifting heavy again with body beast and I love it. It's made me think of redoing an sts rotation. I've gotten great results from body beast. My results from sts weren't great and here's what I think the difference is: SPEED. Sagi moves at a clip in all of the workouts. I'm soaked and spent and my heart rate is sky high for mostly the whole workout every workout in body beast. Sts is so slow. I don't remember sweating or getting any cardio from it at all.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 10:39 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have done STS all the way through once. I did not see significant gains in my fitness, either strength or size of muscle mass. I'm not a newbie by any means, and I did have significant musculature to start--genetics has blessed me with the ability to build muscle quickly.

My issue, and I'm aware that it is MY issue, is that my appetite gets crazy when I dive into any intense weight program like STS. I admit that I simply do not have the willpower to keep my diet under control when I do heavy weight workouts, and I've pretty much sworn off of them. I was so disappointed at the end of STS since I was hoping this program would help me lean out and build strength, but not so in my case--probably a direct result of my diet dilemma. YMMV.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 11:55 AM  
Taiga

I've done both Body Beast and STS (recently added Edge Booty ) as my main strength rotations over the years. I get my best results (see above) with STS but only if I'm I using it by design. Meaning that it was developed to help you lift progressively heavier. So doing the typical 3,5 & 8lb weights might be fun but it won't take advantage of the program's unique benefits. I used the 1 rep max and Cathe's website to calculate/print out my weight selections/goal for that day's workout. This is what really set the program apart for me. For example, I started using 20-25lbs for unilateral lat rows but ended using a 50lb dumbbell. So no matter where you start as an individual, you're basically competing with yourself to continually advance your strength. The fact that it happens on a micro level (I actually only added 1/2 lb plates to my dumbbells/bar at times) is what makes it possible to move forward. Going with the standard weight selections (for example, the leap from a 15 to a 20lb weight) can be too much so it's easy to get "trapped" at the lower weight unless you microload. I ended up picking up a lot of used plates/dumbbells at Play It Again Sports so that I could keep up with the program's suggested weight selections.

I can get away with lower weights on Body Beast because he moves at a clip. But I don't get as good as results. Still, it's an excellent program and provides variety and adequate maintenance for me. I'm loving Edge Booty and have high hopes as I get to know the program.

Obviously, nutrition always pays a role in results and I think you have to experiment to see what works for your body. I DO NOT benefit from adding extra calories or protein when doing these heavy weight programs. I would only do that if my goal was to increase my size or bulk. My strength gains are excellent without added calories and my muscle definition is greatly improved if I don't protein/calorie load.
Old 10-12-15, 01:30 PM  
nckfitheart

Body beast versus STS - speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
This thread interests me I just started lifting heavy again with body beast and I love it. It's made me think of redoing an sts rotation. I've gotten great results from body beast. My results from sts weren't great and here's what I think the difference is: SPEED. Sagi moves at a clip in all of the workouts. I'm soaked and spent and my heart rate is sky high for mostly the whole workout every workout in body beast. Sts is so slow. I don't remember sweating or getting any cardio from it at all.

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.
I too am interested in your post...I workout cathe litterally 100% but will definitely do Body beast. That being said, cathe uses the speed element a lot to add intensity. I am quite surprised, sincerely, you feel Body beast faster than STS. Did you do meso 2, did you complete it?

I shall remember your post and eventually get back to this thread to report my view comparing both. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 02:19 PM  
bubbles76

Heavy and/or very intense programs typically cause my appetite to decrease drastically. I think that may be why it was harder for me to see much aesthetic gains with STS. I know the strength was there, but my muscles just don't pop. However, I saw great strength, endurance, and aesthetic gains with Xtrain. My body may do better with mixing it up constantly. I really did enjoy the strength gains with STS though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 03:28 PM  
Izzy

I have not done this program and I am considering it. The comments on this thread interest me.

Can someone explain what the 1 rep max means?

Thank you
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-15, 05:35 PM  
lesia

I just started STS today with Mesocycle 1 Disc 1 Chest Shoulders & Biceps

Whoa! There are many different versions of pushups but because I'm struggling with pushups, I just chose to do regular pushups and concentrating on great form. Believe me regular pushups slay me anyway.

What I found surprising is the sweat factor. Who knew that a weight workout would cause a sweat pool.

Workout 1? Grade A

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door anchor, dumbbell size, sts, sts results, weighted gloves