Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-17, 12:49 PM  
horusosiris

Sharaz- yes having the rest periods counted for you is a big plus in the STRS program.

Buffmam- In Meso 1- the rest periods are short or non-existent because the weights used are lighter and there are more reps for each exercise. The Meso 2workouts are endurance based. The Meso 2 workouts the weights used are heavier and the rest periods are moderate. These workouts are for muscle hypertrophy. In Meso 3 the workouts are strength based and the rest periods are longest in this Mesocycle. If the weight is heavy enough which it should be in Meos 3) then your muscles will need a longer rest period in order to be able to lift the same weight for the next set.
Having the proper rest period is essential in any periodization program such as STS.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 04:10 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Having the proper rest period is essential in any periodization program such as STS.
So the take home message is that you get stronger lifting weights appropriate for each meso because you're affecting the muscles differently?
Old 10-19-17, 04:46 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
So the take home message is that you get stronger lifting weights appropriate for each meso because you're affecting the muscles differently?
A simple-non technical explanation is that is program with the goal of increasing strength. Think about an athlete preparing for peak competition. Athletes start preparing their bodies in advance to avoid injuries and reach peak conditions. In STS the peak is Mesocycle 3 which is higher intensity, less volume because your are lifting at 8 or less reps. I can't come with the exact percent of max at this moment. Anyhow, we start Meso 1 Endurance more reps, less weights and morie sets. Then Meso 2 Hypertrophy increasing weights more. Then Meso 3 is like competition season, we should be ready to tackle heavier weights. Your body is ready to sustain higher loads if we follow progressive overload. Pushing to increase weights weekly appropriately.

ETA
I believe anyone can start this program even lifting 5 pounds. Linear periodization is the most basic and common type. Proven to be effective for years.

Speaking about rest periods, horusoiris provided an excellent explanation. If the rests in Meso 3 were lower, we will not be able to lift again for the rep count. That is why I said that many factors contribute to weight selection in different workouts. Rest periods, tempo, volume, etc.
Old 10-19-17, 05:07 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sharaz you have special motivating powers! I ditched L&S yet here I am caught by the STS bug after owning it for a few years and always being overwhelmed by it. 3 days a week - I can do that, maybe even for the whole workout.
LOL Is not the first time I heard that comment.

Thanks

I must admit that 3 days a week is a plus for me. I'll zone out for the lifting and play with the cardio for fun.
Old 10-19-17, 06:38 PM  
daisyduke

WHich is better? Sts or body beast? I feel like sagi does not give many rest periods as cathe does in Sts
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 07:46 AM  
buffmama

Sharaz thanks for the explanation. It's apparently a case of the "I have to run slowly to run quickly". Not intuitive at all, but I know it's been proven. Something to think about also when not doing a periodization program and simply picking different weight workouts.
Old 10-20-17, 09:53 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
WHich is better? Sts or body beast? I feel like sagi does not give many rest periods as cathe does in Sts
STS has more structured rest periods than does Sagi in BB, but both programs provide adequate rest for the phase of the program that you are in. In Meso 1, which is endurance based, the rest periods are extremely short but that s the nature of endurance training.

Both Body Beast and STS are very good. The programs are structured somewhat differently though. Body Beast has a heavier emphasis on hypertrophy and strength, than endurance. Body Beast also introduces a variety of lifting techniques such as forced sets, progressive sets, combo sets, giant sets, dropped sets and tempo sets. I prefer Body Beast's bulk phase to Cathe's Meso 3 mainly because of the variety of exercises and lifting techniques utilized. I prefer Cathe's Meos 1 (minus the gazillion pushups) for endurance training. STS is better structured to help with the proper weight selection for each exercise because she introduces the one rep max for discovering the proper weight to use.

I have completed STS three times and Body Beast twice and either program can be used to build strength and muscle definition though in many ways BB is more advanced than STS .
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:37 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
The 1 rep max always threw me.
I skipped the "1 Rep Max" part and did Mesos 2 & 3 with no problem.

I enjoyed the STS rotation, but have no patience for longer workouts anymore.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 rep max, sts