Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-05, 09:40 PM  
challenge47

Christi T recs ?

I would like to try some Christi T workouts and need advice.

I know that Christi is very higly regarded on this board, and that she's also famous for the complexity of her choreography.

This may give you an idea of the level I am at now: I can complete the following workouts fairly easily:

Step: KR's Cherfitness A New Attitude
KR's Ultimate Step Workout
KS's Step Workout
Candice Copeland's Step Ahead

Floor Aerobics: KS's Kickboxing Workout
JF's Lean Routine
KS Weight Loss Workout
BB's Basic and Advanced Tae Bo workout (from 4 pk)

One of the main reasons I'd like to try Christi is the great music. The music on a workout makes a huge difference to me -- which is why I've been enjoying Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body so much!

I like a challenge and can modify.

So given these factors what would all you Christi fans suggest for step/floor aerobics/ awt?

One more thing: I work out on a carpeted floor.

Thanks in advance!!

Nancy
challenge47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:50 PM  
KathAL79

I only do hi/lo for Christi, so I'll let others help you with recommendations for her step.
I think the most accessible Christi hi/lo video is Funktional Fitness. The combos will give you an idea of her steps, but she doesn't build them all together into one big routine. I would suggest that you try this one first to see how you like Christi's style, complex choreography, etc. because you don't have to remember whole routines and can just focus on learning the routines in one 20 minute section at a time.
My first Christi was Totally Hot Cardio. On Totally Hot Cardio, Funktional Fitness, and Solid Gold Cardio (as well as the corresponding step videos), Christi offers a "Move Master," where she goes through the routine at a slower pace. I found Totally Hot Cardio a little tough to conquer at first, but once I had the routine under my belt I was good to go. There is some debate whether Totally Hot Cardio or Still Jumpin' is easier to learn, but the advantage of TH is the Move Master there.
By the way, some people find Christi incredibly difficult. I was pleasantly surprised that I have tackled all of Christi's hi/lo workouts and managed to catch on to all of them within a few tries. The first one will be toughest, but once your feet and arms figure out what's going on you should find the next ones a little less challenging and a lot more fun! Good luck!
ETA: I just reread your comments about carpet. In Still Jumpin', Totally Hot Cardio, and Solid Gold Cardio Christi has modifiers who show less complicated versions of the moves. Not only do they help you learn the routine, because you don't have to go all out the first few (dozen, if you'd like) times, but they also take out many of the pivots, etc. that worry those who exercise on carpeted floors.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-05, 09:57 PM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

I love Christi's workouts, although her newest ones are still in my "virgin" pile. Personally I prefer step to floor aerobics, so here are my recommendations for that.

Totally Cool Step is an easy place to start. Ok, easy is perhaps not the right word But it's actually straightforward choreography and there is a Move Master -I'm pretty sure.

Still Steppin' is just a party in a box. Christi is having a lot of fun and I just smile all the way through this one.

Step Heaven is possibly the best step workout ever. I don't know what my criteria are, exactly, but really, this is an EXCELLENT workout. The thing is... it's not easy to learn. You'll see the occasional triumphant post here when someone finally masters the second section, and we all clap and cheer.

Solid Gold Step is a close second. It's very fun. There's some whooping and hollering from a member of the cast that can get a little weird, but it doesn't really bother me. It does bother a lot of people, though.

Let us know what you choose!

Andrea
Old 05-02-05, 11:02 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

I'm glad to hear you're wanting to try a Christi workout! I just love her, and do her workouts all the time. They're a great investment once you learn the base moves. I don't have her latest releases, which may be the most approachable, but of course, I still have something to say!

It took me a while to learn my first Christi, Still Jumpin', which was the "easiest" a couple years ago. For floor, I'd recommend SJ or THC, but I don't have Funktional Fitness to compare. FF sounds from Collage's description, and from what VFers have said, to be easier, but I also get the impression the music's not Christi's usual. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

As for step, I second the recommendation of TCS. Again, I don't have her latest, Stepsational, but TCS is definitely the most easily grasped, not counting her latest releases.

One thing to keep in mind, and I hope it proves true for you, is that the learning curve is only steep at first with Christi. Once you get a feel for her choreo, and master one workout, the others come pretty easily. Well, they did for me anyway. Let us know how it goes!

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 04:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't have a recommendation on one to start with, but I do have a recommendation on how to learn Christi. When I first pick up one of her workouts, I make it an add-on to my "regular" workout and do as much as I can at one time. That can range from five minutes to 15-20 minutes. I quit when I start getting frustrated. The next time I pop it in as an "add on", I usually do what I've already done and then some more until I get frustrated. I keep doing this until I've learned enough of it for it to stand on its own as a workout.

I've just seen a lot of people get so frustrated trying to learn her steps, partially seemingly because they can't get a workout in while they are learning her workout. Just thought I'd mention it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 05:35 AM  
vdub

Ditto what Laura said. Also, use that MoveMaster. Christi shows you the steps in slow motion, and she counts them out. It's the counting, I think, that helped me more than anything. I have no idea why. You can even use slo-mo on your remote to make it slower yet. I know Totally Cool Step has MoveMaster, and I love the music. That was the first one I ever did all the way through, although I did it a little at a time, like Laura said. Since then, though, I've been adding to my list of Christi accomplishments. It CAN be done, even by a klutz.

Shari
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-05, 07:31 AM  
behaha

Just so you know my level: I can do the first segment of Step heaven, but not yet the second. I've found it incredibly useful to do somebody's early work first, as a means of learning her style from when she was just starting out -- then it's pretty easy to grow with her into more recent stuff.

With Christi, that's Humble Beginnings: the hi/lo and step portions (with warmups and cool-downs) of her first three CIA workouts (5004, 7002, 9801). Awesome workouts, and the first one I pretty much GOT on the first try. Two DVDs, six+ segments--I think it's worth the retail price of $30. I'd be doing all these right now if I weren't taking a break from the usual routine via The Firm week mini-check-in.

Last edited by Barbara H; 05-03-05 at 07:32 AM. Reason: correct the number
behaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 07:27 AM  
paidhi
VF Supporter

Christi is my absolute all time favourite. I would suggest starting with one of the Totallies. They have great music and the MoveMaster. Some things that I have found useful in learning her choreography:
Ignore the arm movements the first few times while learning the workout and add them in when you're comfortable.
Listen to the cues - sometimes it's easier to do the move by listening rather than looking.
Christi tends to use a watch-me style the first time she shows a new move but she will cue it each time afterwards so don't let it frustrate you.

If you enjoy the Totallies, then try her Fantastic Four DVD - these are party in a box. The music in her newest releases (Funktional Fitness, etc) is not as enjoyable to me as the music in her previous productions so I don't find myself reaching for these as often.

Lisa
paidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 07:50 AM  
AcademiaNut
VF Supporter

My learning strategy is to leave out quite a few of the spins the first time or two through the workout. But then one day, it's just easier -and certainly more fun- to add them in. I work out on carpet, too -unfortunately (a long angst-filled room remodeling debacle). But I'm just careful with foot placement and all has been well so far.

Andrea
Old 05-04-05, 07:53 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I keep reading this as Christi T-Rex.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote