Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-21, 06:23 PM  
DCW

I am truly blessed that my mother and my aunts showed me that 60+ isn't one foot in the grave. They worked, garden, walk for exercise, and live independently. I think having and using stairs in their homes secretly helps them. Walking up and down stairs independently at 85+ is great. My mom is gone but my remaining aunts who keep active continue to amaze me. Yes, they all have their ailments but are overall doing quite well.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 08:03 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Other than that, I'm in good health and - wait - what was the point I was trying to make? I don't remember the topic. Let me go back and re-read Alta's OP.
This made me laugh so hard because I can relate. And why can I remember people I worked with for 3 weeks 40 years ago but can’t remember the name of the new woman at work who I’ve now seen every day for 3 months.

Physically, I think I am in better shape than most women my age (61), and I know I don’t look my age, but I am very weak. I never had much upper body strength but now it’s gotten worse and is something I know I need to work on.

I agree with a previous poster that my mind doesn’t feel old but my body doesn’t always agree. And things that used to seem important aren’t.

I find that what makes me feel mentally older than anything else is driving. I have a 25-mile drive to work. It’s mostly on a rural 2-lane highway so there a lot of slow drivers, too fast drivers, tailgaters, etc. that get me worked up. And when it’s dark I flat can’t see like I used to. Driving at night is when I feel really, really old.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 08:18 PM  
horsemom2

71 here but always had various aches and pains.
Thankfully nothing serious.
still moving every morning for around 25 minutes and walk for 10 minutes outside each day weather permitting.
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 08:44 PM  
Gams

Deb, I can relate to the driving after dark thing and boy, if it’s dark and raining or snowing, I really stress out. I try not to drive at all in the dark if I can help it.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 09:03 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I also have difficulty with my night vision. I avoid driving at night unless it is an absolute must. I never had anxiety about driving when I was younger but I feel a lot of dread about driving in general now.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 09:27 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Interesting thread - I did not realize a lot of people over 55 can’t get up off the floor. I feel better about myself. My stepmom was in her 70’s when she started calling the fire department to get her off the floor. I would be totally humiliated, but she thinks it’s great.
Smart stepmom :-) I wouldn’t mind having a fireman help me up!
Old 01-15-21, 09:42 PM  
Gams

My stepmom is a lot of things, but smart isn’t one of them.

There are a lot of things I wouldn’t mind a fireman helping me with, but hoisting me off the floor because I was too heavy to get up myself and too heavy for my husband and son-in-law to lift me up would NOT be one of them.

I don’t have any trouble getting up off the floor, but I remember reading something about how you should be able to get off the floor without using your arms and that definitely was more difficult.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 10:20 PM  
Izzy

65 this past November. I still work full time and up till last March worked a part time job as well.

I walk daily, ride my bike and do various other workouts. I can work 6-8 hours in the yard or shovel snow up to 4 hours. I think I am in pretty good shape. But what keeps me going is my mind. My mind will not let my body give up.

My health is good minus stomach issues. I take no medication. I do have aches and pains but Essentrics or gentle yoga helps.

I don’t see myself retiring because I can’t financially so I just do my best to keep going. I am a strong believer that having a reason to get up everyday helps your mind and body stay strong.

ETA:I had knee replacement surgery February 14, 2019. Before that my knees were a mess.
Old 01-15-21, 10:25 PM  
dnna

well, I am runner up for the oldest, 70. You all in your 60's- that is a great time in life and you are young and enjoy it.

I know I have written about a knee replacement and breaking my leg and that is really slowing me down. I live alone on 3 stories so I am always going up and down.

I exercise twice a day. I always do Jane Adams mat workout in the morning and then some cardio and weights , alternate days with pilates. that is my morning routine, also do my housework in the AM. In the afternoon I do my chair yoga -I love Sherry Zak Morris site and joined her site.I love this yoga teacher named Mary -low back loving. Also Alicia from Australia and Tatis! I also just found Fitness with Cindy and do a zoom class with her every other week and have her videos.

The chair yoga dances and practices in the afternoon are very uplifting to me.I figure it is something and I always do it.

enjoy the 60 years!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 10:47 PM  
Leonana

I just turned 61 last December. I am stiff when I wake up in the morning, and I get aches and soreness from working out. I have to stretch my piriformis every night, or my right side will ache. I can no longer do high impact (slight bladder prolapse - it's always something!). My short term memory is not the best! I will also need cataract surgery in a few years, and it is harder to drive at night. I've lost some hearing, but get by with hearing aids.

On the positive side, I have been told I look younger than my age. I can get up off the floor without using my hands. Working out has increased my balance and I can still roller skate. I can pick up the 40 pound kitty litter at Costco, put in my cart, lift it out of the cart into my car, then out of the car into the house. I'm pretty proud of that! I think I'm stronger now than I was in my 40's, before I started exercising. I'm happy I can still move, and hope to always be able to move in some form or fashion as I age. Right now I work out about five to six days a week, 30-45 minutes a day. Usually with Jessica Smith, but I'm discovering KCM and the Firm. I like strength workouts the best. On the days I don't workout, I'm usually doing housework, or walking a lot doing errands.

Tags
aging, inspiration, inspirational, over 50, senior, sit stand test, skates, vf inspiration, vintage, vintage vfers