Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-18, 12:34 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Website not secure?

Whenever I come here to VF, I see a red message in the URL box saying that this website is not secure. Does anyone else get that message or know why it is showing up?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 02:17 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes - i get it, now that you mention it. i don't know why. my other tabs show that other sites are secure. i use webroot for security and chrome for my browser on this device.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 06:13 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Is it because of the board software and the fact that all posts are searchable and show up on google searches?

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 07:00 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I've never noticed that before - I wonder if it's a change (a new required disclosure) because of the new European privacy laws that went into effect last week.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 07:40 AM  
Betty Boop

If we were buying items and putting credit card information here, then security would be an issue. I'm not sure why a secure site would be needed otherwise.
Old 05-29-18, 08:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've never seen it and don't see it now.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 08:04 AM  
PhyllisG

No I don't see it but I get the same message on my libarys site.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 08:07 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I've never seen it and don't see it now.
If you hover your mouse over the "i Not secure" in the address line, you'll see it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 08:08 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
If we were buying items and putting credit card information here, then security would be an issue. I'm not sure why a secure site would be needed otherwise.
This article says why.

This part in particular:

"HTTPS prevents intruders from being able to passively listen to communications between your websites and your users.

One common misconception about HTTPS is that the only websites that need HTTPS are those that handle sensitive communications. Every unprotected HTTP request can potentially reveal information about the behaviors and identities of your users. Although a single visit to one of your unprotected websites may seem benign, some intruders look at the aggregate browsing activities of your users to make inferences about their behaviors and intentions, and to de-anonymize their identities. For example, employees might inadvertently disclose sensitive health conditions to their employers just by reading unprotected medical articles."

People on this board talk about their health issues a lot. Because VF isn't secure, an intruder could potentially get this info.

Sounds paranoid, maybe, but I sure don't want anyone I haven't authorized to get access to info about my health via an unsecured website.

I've considered not coming here anymore because of the lack of security. I stopped going to the DDP forum because it, too, isn't secure.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-18, 09:06 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I've had a "Not Secure" message next to the URL in Chrome for a long time. I think it just means the URL starts with http instead of https (which I always look for on shopping sites and social media).

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not secure, secure, security