Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-17, 02:00 AM  
spaceygirl

Smile New Job-less time for workouts

Hi. I just started a new job in High Tech-hours are much longer than I used to work but hopefully, the job will be good.
Problem is, I have much less time to work out. I need to pare back my workouts to under 25 minutes a day.
Any of you have similar experience or suggestions?
I used to work out 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes and one day for an hour combining strength training, aerobics and some circuits. I do use alot of online workouts-especially Jessica Smith and Gym Ra and Pop Sugar workouts.
I am looking to maintain my fitness and am worried that this will set me back.
Thanks for any insights you have out there and wishing everyone a happy, healthy and productive 2017
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 06:18 AM  
bubbles76

Yes, every year from July through September I have to scale back my workouts. Usually to 30 minutes a day, sometimes even less. What worked for me was getting up earlier. If I wanted to work out, I had to be up by 4AM to get started by 4:30AM. I hate working out in the morning, but that was the only way to get it in. Otherwise, I missed it. Sometimes, I would even split the workouts. For instance, if I was doing Firm Express I did 20 minutes in morning and 20 in the evening. You could try splitting your workouts or getting up earlier.

Hope that helps! I did maintain my fitness level during that time. There are plenty of threads on shorter workouts and the results gained (or maintained) to switching to them.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 07:45 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceygirl View Post
I used to work out 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes and one day for an hour combining strength training, aerobics and some circuits.
If I were you I'd scale back in length (15-20 minute workouts) but increase the frequency (total 7 days a week, making one of those days - weekend? - longer). If you choose your routines carefully things should more or less even out.

Before
3/week x 30m = 90 minutes
1x 60m

After
6/week x 15m = 90 minutes
1x 60m

Best of luck in your new job!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 08:42 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

There are lots of kettlebell workouts under 25 minutes (usually less) that provide both strength and cardio. Lauren's Shut Up and Train is an example (all are 15-20 minutes long).

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 09:05 AM  
buffmama

Great suggestions so far. Doing something everyday (even for less time) is easier for me than doing something 3 times a week. I would have a plan the night before to aid in the workout getting done. Try and figure out something that is mentally easy for you during this transition period. Going heavier or doing a different type of workout barrre, pilates, MMA-type whole body workouts) may mean getting more done in less time.
Old 01-04-17, 10:13 AM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Yes, every year from July through September I have to scale back my workouts. Usually to 30 minutes a day, sometimes even less. What worked for me was getting up earlier. If I wanted to work out, I had to be up by 4AM to get started by 4:30AM. I hate working out in the morning, but that was the only way to get it in. Otherwise, I missed it. Sometimes, I would even split the workouts. For instance, if I was doing Firm Express I did 20 minutes in morning and 20 in the evening. You could try splitting your workouts or getting up earlier.

Hope that helps! I did maintain my fitness level during that time. There are plenty of threads on shorter workouts and the results gained (or maintained) to switching to them.
This is exactly what I had to do when I went from second shift to days 2 years ago. It took me a minute to get in the hang of getting up early enough to work out, but once I did I feel so good. I actually work out more now than I did when I was on second shift. I also will split workouts from time to time, but not often because I have no motivation when I get home after work.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 05:04 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

fitprime (fitnessfavorites.com)
has 6 day trainer (around 20 minutes per workout, 12 workouts); 4 day quicky (15 min, 8 workouts). 4 day mini fusion similiar, 16 workouts but can't see how long they are.

I have 6 day trainer and would probably use it in a situation similar to yours.

The old tracey mallet quick blasts were good options as well.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 06:39 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

If there is a way to walk or something else during your work day, it may even improve your work.

I kept my fitness just walking during lunch time when I was in my early 40s (and I was low advanced by VF standards back then.) If you can briskly walk three days a week, even if it isn't 30 minutes, it should help keep your fitness level. I've always been an outdoors person, so I assume I was doing something on the weekends- probably hiking or at least walking on a trail or dirt road in the summer snow shoeing and cross country skiing in the winter.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-17, 08:12 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I got a standing desk and now I have a set up similar to this:

http://www.masnick.com/2012/01/04/my...liptical-desk/

I love it. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm getting steps in while I work.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 12:52 AM  
spaceygirl

Smile Thank you!!!

Great suggestions everyone. Never did kettlebells but perhaps I can substitute with a dumbell?
Glad to hear I am not alone
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote