Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-12, 04:17 PM  
Michele S

Question Lymphedema? anyone?

I prone to LE because of my surgeries and am finding that it is a royal PITA (to put it lightly)! I wear a compression garment when I exercise and that *does* help. However, when I exercise daily, I have a lot of discomfort. When I skip exercise, I am a crazy person!!

I have seen a PT who specializes in LE and have been checked and rechecked by my MD(s). All have said that I just need to find a balance. They all agree that exercise is good for all sorts of reasons (preventing recurrence is a biggie!) but that pain, discomfort, swelling can really impact quality of life.

I am a member of a popular BC board and there are lots of LE ladies there. The thing is that most don't really want to exercise as much as I want to and many have LE much worse than I do...

So, I figured I would come here!!

Anyone *out there* in VF who has dealt with LE (or has been successful in preventing it!)? What exercises can you do? Just cardio? Have you managed to add in strength training? What about stretching?

thanks!!
Old 04-27-12, 06:06 PM  
lrb04

Michele, I wish I had advice and hope someone does for you. But exercise I would think helps the circulation of the lymph system. Keep up staying fit!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 06:13 PM  
zippity

What about foam rolling and/or rebounding?
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 06:21 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Michelle, I can't write a long post right now, but I wanted you to know that I have truncal lymphedema and minor upper arm lymphedema from my breast cancer. It's been a hard road that's for sure. I'll write more tomorrow, but I just wanted you to know that I'm rowing the same boat..

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 07:56 AM  
Michele S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare* View Post
Michelle, I can't write a long post right now, but I wanted you to know that I have truncal lymphedema and minor upper arm lymphedema from my breast cancer. It's been a hard road that's for sure. I'll write more tomorrow, but I just wanted you to know that I'm rowing the same boat..
Clare
I was hoping you would respond!! I have truncal LE around my left implant and extending to my back on the left. My upper arm also swells but the compression sleeve helps with that... I have cording and axillary scar tissue too.

The positive in all this is that my symptoms are relatively minor. They *do* affect my QoL but NOT exercising affects it more... Anywhoo, the goal is to not make it worse.

Anyone else on VF dealing with this? Clare-- looking forward to your advice.
xxoo
Old 04-28-12, 12:25 PM  
Jewels5

Michele, I was told after my surgeries that I would also be at risk for lymph edema but (knocking on wood) have been able to prevent it. I don't lift heavy weights anymore (although I do lift my 3-year-old on occasion who is 35 pounds). The closest I have come is having a lymph node swell after my surgery and it became very painful. They removed it because it was unclear if it was a lymph node responding to the surgery or another tumor. But it was enough to scare me and take the risks seriously with exercise.

Do you mind if I ask, are you doing weights at all with your exercise? The most I have used on occasion is 5lb dumbbells, but I feel more comfortable sticking with 3's. In the last couple of months I have incorporated more stretching and it has helped tremendously with the tightness on that side.

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. You'll be in my thoughts. (((Hugs)))

Julie
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 12:50 PM  
yahoo205

i don't know which exercises are best, but i think lymphatic drainage/massage is most helpful. this may be hard to do on yourself though.

maybe your so can learn how and do it for you? best of luck.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 01:29 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi Michelle,

I don't have any experience with this, but T-Tapp claims to optimize lymph function through its exercises. They are all unweighted isometric exercises, so it should be allowable for you. Also, Teresa herself just went through a cancer a couple years ago, and has been working with cancer clinics to develop a workout for their patients. Don't know if that it something you want to look into, but just thought I would put it out there. It might be worth a call to their office to find out more if you wanted to.

Good luck to you. *hugs*
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 02:29 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I've never had this myself. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I was wondering if maybe dry brushing would be helpful? On the other thread where we've been discussing it people say it helps with lymphatic drainage as well as exfoliation for the skin. I was also thinking of foam rolling and rebounding as zippity suggested, too.
Old 04-28-12, 03:30 PM  
thelmaloo

hi, i have a had a swelling in my left leg ,ankle and sometimes foot since I was 18, at least. i was finally diagnosed with lymphedema around 2002. ( I am 52) The PT I was seeing didn't know how i got it and thought it may be cognitional . I had the manual drainage for a while until my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore. It did help some.

Nowadays, my leg seems to be fine when I wake up in the morning but by the time i go to bed it swells a lot. Because of that i don't wear dresses very often or tight leggings because i look so odd with the one leg being bigger. Sometimes people will comment and ask what is wrong. I hate the compression hose so i don't wear them ( i know I should !).

i find breaking a good sweat everyday with cardio helps keep the swelling down for awhile. I do spinervals. leslie and rebounding mostly. Also some Jari Love. I work on my feet for 8 hours a day so by the end of the day it swells no matter what i do. i have heard it will progressively get worse as i age.

anyway, I do recommend rebounding, it has helped me a lot
thelmaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shapewear, spanx