Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-11, 03:45 PM  
hotncmom

Heat wave hampering my exercise routine :(

It has gotten downright awful here in central NC with a heat index of about 107 and no end in sight. Every year summer starts earlier, it seems. This year we had mid 90's at the end of May.

My exercise space is upstairs in the bonus room and it is the hottest room in the house. The front of the house gets full afternoon sun and there is a storage space over our garage that is off the bonus room and it just holds heat like an attic, so there is essentially an oven on the other side of the wall! I have tried exercising downstairs, but our TV down there just broke and we are waiting on a replacement part.

Not only that, this heat just saps the energy right out of me. I am down to minimal chores and trying to go out to places like Target and the library that are cooler than my house. I could go to the Y, but the kids complain every time. And I can't do my DVD's there. Honestly I just want to find somewhere cool and take a nap!

I know it sounds like whining, but up until a few weeks ago I was exercising 6 times a week and loving it, and now it is taking everything I have to do it 3-4 times a week. Need some motivation and/or sympathy please! Is anyone else in the same boat?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 03:49 PM  
flamingoo

I hear you! I live in Wisconsin and the temp without the heat index was 100 yesterday. I've been missing my morning walks. Tried yesterday and two of my three turned around and went home, just way too hot. My 11 month old wants to go outside and it just makes me tired and crabby.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:11 PM  
alisoncooks

I feel your pain. It's nasty-hot out there.

We spent 2-3 hrs yesterday and today at local pools (guests of friends who have memberships). I'm counting that swim time as a workout. Plus, it doesn't feel nearly as hot when you're in nice cool water! (Until you come home and realize you're a bit sunburned....)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:16 PM  
momof10

It would be the pits to workout in an upstairs room without air conditioning. I couldn't do it. It's been really not here, too, but we have air conditioning. I also workout in the basement. I am at our cottage now, which does have AC, but my workout room is on the main floor and it is much warmer than when I work out in my basement. I do have a ceiling fan in my work out room at the cottage.

You do have my sympathy!!! Hopefully, it will cool off soon for you.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 04:56 PM  
hotncmom

Well, we have air conditioning, but with the sun beating down on the roof, it stays on all day and it's still 80 degrees upstairs. I've got the thermostat set on 78 regularly, and we have a fan in that room, but it is hotter there than in the hallway where the thermostat is (because of the oven-like storage room on the other side of the wall).

I am staying downstairs in the back of the house where it is cooler!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:04 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Yup. I exercised today - did what I could anyway - and have had NO energy remaining.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:48 PM  
fluffydogfan

Am I the only person who had to look up the term "bonus room"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_room

I obviously don't watch enough HGTV.
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-11, 05:54 PM  
MM-Om

Same here I don't have AC on and it is just brutal in CT. I workout in my basement, so it is even more humid there. It feels cooler because it is a basement but after 5 min the sweat keeps on pouring down. It really drains your energy. I do what I can...First time I am looking forward to the snow
Old 07-21-11, 06:10 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

It's gotten pretty bad here in VA...and with us being so short-handed and all we're being asked to do...I haven't even been working out that much, but my job has kept me busy and lifting and so on and so on...then when we come home, I try to help DH with the yard work. I miss my workouts though (with dvds)...and we're camping this weekend (150th 1st Manassas or Bull Run so NO a/c or even a fan) and no I'm not looking forward to this...
Old 07-21-11, 06:17 PM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
It's gotten pretty bad here in VA...and with us being so short-handed and all we're being asked to do...I haven't even been working out that much, but my job has kept me busy and lifting and so on and so on...then when we come home, I try to help DH with the yard work. I miss my workouts though (with dvds)...and we're camping this weekend (150th 1st Manassas or Bull Run so NO a/c or even a fan) and no I'm not looking forward to this...
I'm in the foothills of Colorado where it's been no more than about 90* here, so I can only sympathize in the way that it is WAY too hot for me here!! However, i wanted to say... TAKE ME CAMPING WITH YOU!!! I wanna go to Manassas or Bull Run... I'll even go without A/C! I love my stomping grounds, but I want yours!!! Have fun!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat wave