Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-11, 03:33 PM  
bubbles76

Great workout gloves

Hi!

I am currently in need of some great workout gloves. Some that won't fray or tear up easily. I will be using them with weights and my new tubing (yea!). Also will be using them to do push ups off my step. I would like them to cover most of the hand, as I get calloused easily. Would prefer some that breathed.

Any suggestions?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 05:37 PM  
bubbles76

Need workout gloves

I tried posting this in the General Discussion thread but it's being bumped out

Hi!

I am currently in need of some great workout gloves. Some that won't fray or tear up easily. I will be using them with weights and my new tubing (yea!). Also will be using them to do push ups off my step. I would like them to cover most of the hand, as I get calloused easily. Would prefer some that breathed.

Any suggestions?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-05-11, 09:07 PM  
Buzzer

Don't get bumped out! I have valeo ocelot lifting gloves
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Ocelot-G...9377054&sr=8-9

and I have used them for about 15 years (I'm on my second pair... my first pair lasted about 10 years!) They are soft and breathable as long as you buy some that aren't too tight. It takes about a week to break them in (I find they are a bit cutting around the fingers, but I also have big fingers so maybe that's why) but after that, I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I can NOT get callouses since I'm a Massage Therapist and that would feel really crappy on my clients, and these gloves are the BEST I've ever worn. I love them so much that I bought 2 pairs last time I ordered them just in case they ever stop making them.
Totally fit the bill and highly recommend them!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 09:16 PM  
pharma_gal

Im also in search of this..Any recs will be highly appreciated!
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 09:20 PM  
Buzzer

I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to make sure you saw it pharma_gal!

and I have used them for about 15 years (I'm on my second pair... my first pair lasted about 10 years!) They are soft and breathable as long as you buy some that aren't too tight. It takes about a week to break them in (I find they are a bit cutting around the fingers, but I also have big fingers so maybe that's why) but after that, I don't even notice I'm wearing them.
I can NOT get callouses since I'm a Massage Therapist and that would feel really crappy on my clients, and these gloves are the BEST I've ever worn. I love them so much that I bought 2 pairs last time I ordered them just in case they ever stop making them.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-05-11, 09:24 PM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but wanted to make sure you saw it pharma_gal!

Thanks Buzzer...What is the name of the gloves as this link is not working.
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 09:45 PM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Thanks Buzzer...What is the name of the gloves as this link is not working.
R.
Doh! Put "valeo ocelot lifting gloves" in Amazon's search, and they come up (the tan & black ones are the ones I have, not the just black ones. Cant vouch for those). They have ones with and without wrist wraps on 'em, I use the one's without wrist wraps so I can wear them during push ups & planks. They're tan and black and the leather is soft... when I sweat, they absorb the sweat and never stink. Hope that helps you out!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-07-11, 09:46 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks Buzzer! Have you had problems with the stitching? I've been reading reviews on Amazon and some have mentioned the stitching fraying within months. Of course, I don't know what size weights they are using, as most do not mention that. Also, if I have funny wrists, do you think that the wrist wraps might help with planks and pushups?
Old 03-07-11, 10:23 AM  
Kimberly33

It might be worth doing a search related to kettlebells and gloves. It seems to me that gloves that hold up to kettlebell work would serve your purposes well, too. I know there have been a few threads about that.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:36 AM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Thanks Buzzer! Have you had problems with the stitching? I've been reading reviews on Amazon and some have mentioned the stitching fraying within months. Of course, I don't know what size weights they are using, as most do not mention that. Also, if I have funny wrists, do you think that the wrist wraps might help with planks and pushups?
Never had any trouble with the stitching. Of course, I've only had 2 pairs, so ask me in another 15 years when I've worn out 2 more...
I have used them for weights up to about 35 lbs each hand, never more. But, I also use them for my KB's, and I let the KB's move in my hand... still no problems.
I don't know if the wrist wraps would help or if they would get in the way (or be too stiff). That's part of why I didn't get the wrist wrap ones, 'cause I didn't want to take the chance. These are by far my favorite gloves I've used.. I had a pair in my car once of some other kind I found at Sports Authority (in case I just happened to run into a gym and need them), and I threw them out after the first workout with them. I like the softness and the padding on these. I have a few friends that have bought them too and think they are great! One lady calls them the "cadillac gloves" and makes fun of other people's gloves (to me, not to them) 'cause she loves them so much. She also cleans them, and airs them out, and babies them. Then she makes fun of me because mine are dirty
JNL DONE! 5/12/14

Tags
gloves, workout gloves