Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-09, 06:29 PM  
kali1

Question Heart rate monitors....

So....I've been searching for a good, accurate heart rate monitor. There are SO many different ones out there with so many different bells and whistles, it's confusing me even more.

What heart rate monitor would you suggest I buy and where's the best place to purchase it?
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:03 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Going through something similar myself. I suggest that you call Polar and talk to their customer service. The guy was very helpful for me. I went to a couple of sports equipment stores and knew more than the sales person. It was a waste of time.

I am going to get the Polar F6 because I only want HR and calories and I don't mind the old fashioned chest strap. The F7 has the same functions as the F6 but has a mesh strap which is supposed to be more comfortable (I have the old kind of strap and it's fine). The F11 is the same as the F7 except you can download info from it (to it?) with their website. (All this information I got from the CS guy from Polar. I haven't confirmed any of it.)

Be forewarned that if you buy a Polar, you have to mail in the watch when the battery needs to be changed. You need to do the same for the older strap type, but I've owned mine for 10 years and have not had to ever change the battery.

If you run or cycle, they have a bunch of other choices. There are ones with foot pads and GPS functions. I already have a Garmin, so I'm not interested in that feature.

Some of the watches will do interval timing for you, but I'd rather use a gym boss. It's too hard to use the tiny buttons while working out.

I don't know anything about brands other than Polar.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:08 PM  
Yvette69

The assumption that all Polar batteries have to be replaced at their service centre is somewhat incorrect. The newer models (FT40, FT60 and FT80) have user replaceable batteries and the battery on the Wearlink is also user replaceable by using a kit you buy from Polar.
Yvette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 07:30 PM  
Yvette69

Just had a look at the Polar USA site, and they have a couple of more basic models coming soon (FT4 and FT7) that also have user replaceable batteries.

What sort of things are you looking for as far as a HRM goes? Are you after one that just counts calories, etc, or are you after one that has built in exercise programs with goals and fitness testing as well? I currently have both a F6 (the more basic model) and an F55, and I prefer the F55 due to its bells and whistles like the infra-red upload function. The upload function allows you to view your workout results on the Polar Personal Trainer website, which I find pretty cool. You can upload with more basic models using the microphone on your computer, but I found it a real bear to use.

As far as buying Polar HRMs goes, if you buy them from eBay and a lot of other places on the internet, Polar won't honour the warranty. Here's a list of authorised internet dealers:

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/author...ternet_dealers

Last edited by Yvette69; 10-29-09 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Clarified upload functions between the models
Old 10-29-09, 07:41 PM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

I have the F6 model and love it. I bought mine from EBay, actually, I've had 3 Polar hrm and bought them all from Ebay. I love the calorie count, the weekly diary that tells me how many hours I've worked out during the week and my weekly calorie burn. The only trouble I've had with the F6 is sometimes the heart rate reading goes to zero instead of reading my hr. This is when I first put it on. I've found if I wet the backside of the monitor, it begins reading my hr. As for replacing the batteries, check with a jewelry store. I go to one here and they've replaced them on all of my monitors. Go to the Polar site and do research to find the one that will do what you're looking for.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 08:00 PM  
kali1

I was looking at the Polar F6. Is it expensive to send it in for replacement? I don't want to spend a bunch but I do want a dependable one...
Old 10-29-09, 08:03 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette69 View Post
Just had a look at the Polar USA site, and they have a couple of more basic models coming soon (FT4 and FT7) that also have user replaceable batteries.

What sort of things are you looking for as far as a HRM goes? Are you after one that just counts calories, etc, or are you after one that has built in exercise programs with goals and fitness testing as well? I currently have both a F6 (the more basic model) and an F55, and I prefer the F55 due to its bells and whistles like the infra-red upload function. The upload function allows you to view your workout results on the Polar Personal Trainer website, which I find pretty cool. You can upload with more basic models using the microphone on your computer, but I found it a real bear to use.

As far as buying Polar HRMs goes, if you buy them from eBay and a lot of other places on the internet, Polar won't honour the warranty. Here's a list of authorised internet dealers:

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/author...ternet_dealers
dependability, HR, are the main things I'm looking for...if it counts calories that is cool.

Upload features...Hhhmmm....that sounds pretty nifty. Thanks for the link....!
Old 10-29-09, 08:26 PM  
Yvette69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
dependability, HR, are the main things I'm looking for...if it counts calories that is cool.

Upload features...Hhhmmm....that sounds pretty nifty. Thanks for the link....!
No problem. Here's a Polar's list of battery replacement charges if you choose an older model. Postage would be extra, naturally:

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/suppor...2574B800598099

You can compare Polar models here: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...crosstraining/
Old 10-29-09, 08:54 PM  
kali1

Thanks Yvette!!

Those that have the F6, is this one one your talking about? Polar F6
Old 10-29-09, 09:08 PM  
Yvette69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
Thanks Yvette!!

Those that have the F6, is this one one your talking about? Polar F6