Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-09, 11:36 AM  
flamingoo

What is up with this! I'm so frustrated!- UPDATE

So for the past three-four weeks I have been trying to amp up my cardio. I'm really frustrated with my body and the older I get the harder it is to lose weight! I'm 25 pounds heavier than I was just 3 years ago and can not shed this weight. I'm tired of keeping track of everything I eat and I'm tired of working out for 2 hours every day. I look at food and gain weight. My routine has been this:
Monday-Leslie 4 fast miles/fluidity
Tuesday-60 min. long walk on treadmill/callanetics
Wednesday-Piloxing/fluidity
Thursday-Leslie 4 fast miles/callanetics
Friday-Piloxing/callanetics
Saturday( sometimes)- kundalini yoga
Sunday-off

Not only have I not lost weight I've gained almost 1 entire inch in each thigh!
What gives? I'm really trying and am just getting tired of it all.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 11:50 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I am sorry you are frustrated - I know the feeling. I've also been struggling with about 25 excess pounds that are proving to be hard to lose (although I know exactly what my problem is). Anyway, looking at your rotation, have you considered adding some weight training? I've read that building lean muscle mass results in more calories burned throughout the day. I'm not an expert, though.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-09, 11:52 AM  
ssgilby

Oh, what a bummer! My sympathies. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. I've got a couple of thoughts.

Maybe you need to back off a bit on the workouts. Two hours a day is a lot and your body may be stressing out. I know from experience that when I stopped the long, intense workouts, I lost weight and inches and felt much better in pretty much every way. Something to think about.

Also, you may want to examine other areas of your life which can affect your body. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you managing your stress levels? Are you eating enough? And enough of the right foods? I know you said you've been journaling, which is great, but if you're working out really intensely and not eating enough of the right things, your body may be rebelling.

Perhaps you should take a week or so off entirely. Don't journal your food intake, don't workout, get plenty of sleep and use the time to assess each area of your life. It would be a great opportunity to give your body and mind a break as well as try to determine what the best course is for you to lose those pounds - and feel happy, good and not frustrated doing it! After the break you'll be refreshed and recharged in body, mind and soul and have the strength to tackle your weight loss goals.
Best of luck to you!!!
Old 06-18-09, 11:55 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby View Post
Oh, what a bummer! My sympathies. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. I've got a couple of thoughts.

Maybe you need to back off a bit on the workouts. Two hours a day is a lot and your body may be stressing out. I know from experience that when I stopped the long, intense workouts, I lost weight and inches and felt much better in pretty much every way. Something to think about.

Also, you may want to examine other areas of your life which can affect your body. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you managing your stress levels? Are you eating enough? And enough of the right foods? I know you said you've been journaling, which is great, but if you're working out really intensely and not eating enough of the right things, your body may be rebelling.

Perhaps you should take a week or so off entirely. Don't journal your food intake, don't workout, get plenty of sleep and use the time to assess each area of your life. It would be a great opportunity to give your body and mind a break as well as try to determine what the best course is for you to lose those pounds - and feel happy, good and not frustrated doing it!

Best of luck to you!!!
I was trying to figure out how to say the same thing...you worded it exactly right, Shelley!

Sometimes it's a good thing to take a break and re-evaluate your plan.
Old 06-18-09, 12:06 PM  
Debbie M

ITA with everything Shelley said.

In addition, we may be able to offer better suggestions if we know what else you have tried other than your current rotation.

Tracy's suggestion is excellent, but maybe you have already tried heavy lifting, HIIT, circuits... and well...everything but the kitchen sink...and have just recently starting with more gentle walking and isometrics workouts.

Is it your current rotation that is not working or are you saying that nothing at all seems to work?

I feel your pain as I am sure many other VFers who are or have been in the same situation also do.

Hang in there,

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:43 PM  
flamingoo

The only thing that I haven't changed in the past two years in barre workouts. I really enjoy them and have many to rotate. Kickboxing helped me to lose weight years ago, but I just don't want to do those high intensity workouts any more. I tried a squeeze rotation which did nothing for me. I also tried a kundalini yoga only rotation, but gave up on that after 6 weeks of no change. The only things I haven't tried are walking exclusively on the treadmill and running. I know many people have said running does great things for them, but I don't want to make my legs any bigger than they already are. I think my dream rotation would be yoga and ballet, but then again I would need some form of cardio. I agree with you with the fact that two hours is alot. I just don't know how to get it all done. Thanks for all the advise so far. I love this forum for that.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:54 PM  
ssgilby

Flamingoo - If your dream rotation is yoga and ballet, give it a shot! (After you take the break I mentioned in my last post, of course!) It won't hurt you to give it a try, and who knows? You might just find yourself relaxing and enjoying it and the weight will start coming off. You may want to include a few power or ashtanga yoga sessions each week so you can get your HR elevated and get some cardio effect going. Then on other days do a ballet/barre/fusion/whatever workout. I think with the yoga you'll get some cardio benefit as well as strengthening moves and the ballet/barre/etc. workouts will be some icing on the cake!
Old 06-18-09, 12:58 PM  
Bebop

Have you tried the Firm?

For the record, for the past 5 weeks I have done a Firm rotation with an occassional kickbox, my normal yoga and maybe an extra upper body workout.

My eating has been terrible. I don't have to lose weight but I have been thinner. I weighed in yest. after the 5 weeks and maintained my weight which is pretty good since I have been making less than perfect food choices. If I had eaten more cleanly, I bet I would have lost weight.

So, if you go on a healthy, low calorie diet, why don't you try a Firm rotation for a while?

You could try for 3 Firms a week. This will give you aerobics and weight training. If you still wanted additional aerobics, you could add in aerobics on the off days and yoga, pilates any day. Sometimes shaking things up a bit gets things moving too.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 12:59 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Flamingo, you don't say how old you are. The closer you get to menopause, the more stubborn the weight thing gets.

A couple of things:

I don't see any strength training in your rotation. I would add that if I were you.
Are you doing any higher intensity cardio? Something where you are pushing yourself and feel a little out of breath?

Lastly - do you know how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight? www.fitday.com is a great website for tracking nutrition as well as caloric intake.

I have a coworker who lost about 50 pounds and got in AWESOME shape following Body-for-Life.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-09, 01:04 PM  
lindseylu8

I agree with others, take a break, cut it down to 1 hour per day.

Also, I would think doing more intense cardio and adding in more strength training routines would help...Are your current cardio w/o's getting your heart pumping, burning lots of calories, etc? Are your bar w/o's making you sore or pushing you? Maybe just try mixing it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Have you tried the Firm?

For the record, for the past 5 weeks I have done a Firm rotation with an occassional kickbox, my normal yoga and maybe an extra upper body workout.

My eating has been terrible. I don't have to lose weight but I have been thinner. I weighed in yest. after the 5 weeks and maintained my weight which is pretty good since I have been making less than perfect food choices. If I had eaten more cleanly, I bet I would have lost weight.
Very timely. I just finished a 4 week Firm rotation w/ pigging out big time every single weekend (why oh why is food so delicious?) and also maintanined my wieght! Firm type w/o's do wonders for me!

You can find a link to my fitness blog in my profile
lindseylu8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopot, weight loss