Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-09, 11:57 AM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Starting to Run.....Again

Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted on VF. I am beginning to run again. I downloaded DJ Steve Boy on my MP3 and did the first workout of the 5K interval run this morning. It was very easy. Those of you who have done DJ Steve's podrunner workouts did you skip to a week that would challenge you? I've also thought about repeating the workout to make it longer.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Lollie
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:38 PM  
violingal3

I recently started C25K and I agree, the first week(s) might be easy. I thought about skipping ahead, but I decided to start from the beginning for a variety of reasons. I'm not a steady state runner - I can do intervals and CC all day long (no, not really, but you get my point!), but that's different than building up to a steady state and running a solid 5K. I am making the first weeks more challenging by increasing incline just a few % on the treadmill and taking my speeds up a notch for both the running and recovery intervals. I am a slow runner to begin with, so I hope to build a good base for increasing my overall speed when I get to that 5K mark.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 12:51 PM  
ooty

violin: I used CC for all my training. 5k to a half mary. For 5k, I don't really train in any specific way. I simply cannot do steady state running. But of course towards the end of my long runs, my running would certainly not resemble an interval run even though I have CC in my ears. I haven't run any races in a year now.
Old 06-01-09, 02:46 PM  
Hazel Porter

If it's been a while since you ran regularly, I'd err on the side of caution and follow the program even if the early weeks feel too easy. You may have a fairly well conditioned aerobic capacity from other workouts, but your joints, ligaments, and tendons need to acclimate to the unique forces of running, and they do so more slowly than your muscles and cardiovascular system.
Old 06-01-09, 03:17 PM  
susanharris

DJ Steve Boy? is this music that is a certain beats per minute? are there calls on running techniques? is this for treadmill or street?
susanharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 03:35 PM  
ooty

Susan harris... susan.. Hi!

Are you THE Susan Harris? I have to be honest and say that I am not a FIRMIE. I have a few and I only know Tracie Long from those. I haven't used them much because of all the "box" issues: tall box, short box etc. I odn't have a box.

Where are all the Firmies on this board?

Have they not noticed that there is a celebrity here. WELCOME!

DJ Steve boy has music mixes at various bpms. I think now he has mixes for interval workouts too. You can find them here

http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html

You can use it to run. I assume both outdoors and indoors.. I don't use them.

I use Cardiocoach.

http://cardiocoach.com/

Please don't get me started on Cardiocoach , I start spending significant amounts of my life talking about its glory. I them. These are audio-guided mp3s.. interval workouts.. can be used with any cardio machine.
I use them on the treadmill and running outdoors. There are others who use it on stationary cycles, ellipticals etc.
Old 06-01-09, 03:43 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanharris View Post
DJ Steve Boy? is this music that is a certain beats per minute? are there calls on running techniques? is this for treadmill or street?
These are mostly instrumental dance mixes at steady bpms from about 135 to 180 (although he lately has some "ramp mixes" that start out in the 130s and gradually increase to 170 or so). All just around an hour long.

No cues for running -- you can get that from Cardio Coach or itrain.

They are all free for download on the podrunner site.

Love these things -- I use them exclusively for my running these days, indoor and out (racing too)!
Old 06-01-09, 03:47 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooty View Post
Are you THE Susan Harris?...
Have they not noticed that there is a celebrity here. WELCOME!
She just got here, but it is her. See this thread. (Sorry, I'm not a Firmie at all & wouldn't know Susan if I saw her on the street! But welcome anyway, Susan! )

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 04:01 PM  
ooty

LOL Laura. Yes, I saw that thread after I posted. I did the required research. . And I also noticed that I have "Finding your core" on my Netflix queue. I am just so afraid of working my core that I keep pushing it down the queue.
Old 06-01-09, 04:03 PM  
susanharris

I have put together some really great playlists for different workouts. Running to music that makes you keep pace is awesome!!
susanharris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running