Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-08, 09:37 PM  
bfit

a challenging question re: exercise for a senior citizen

Last night my husband and I had dinner with my father-in-law who told us how frustrated he is about wanting to be in better shape but not knowing what to do or who to talk to about it. He says that his doctor says only that walking is the best exercise but doesn't give him any specific instructions. He checked at the senior citizens' center and watched one of their aerobics classes, but he says it had all kinds of movements in it that he can't do. He wants to find a personal trainer to design a program tailored to his needs but doesn't know where to find one. He has checked with several health clubs, but they won't help him unless he buys an expensive membership. Unfortunately, he has lots of limitations - he has a heart condition for which he uses a pacemaker, he has arthritis in one shoulder, and a sore lower back/hip that might also be arthritis. He knows little or nothing about exercise and nutrition, and I'm not even sure he knows what his specific goals are except "to be in better shape". I asked him whether he would be willing to try a video workout, and he wasn't sure about it because what he really wants is something designed specifically for him taking into account his problems. He is 80 years old, but his doctor has cleared him for exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 10:00 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

My elderly in-laws belong to some sort of community fitness center -- I don't think it's the YMCA, but it's something like that. They have a number of fitness options available to them, and there are lots of other senior citizens working out with them. I wonder if there is something like that in his area?

They also belong to something called "Silver Sneakers," and they walk around the local shopping mall. If he could find something like that, he might be able to hook up with others and get suggestions on what else to try.

Of course, he might also just need to try the aerobics class -- if he speaks to the instructor, he/she might be able to give him some modification advice, or other information about other classes.

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 10:48 PM  
nancyzl

Hi,
I'd try the local Y, also the local hospital may sponsor classes, mine does.

You may also try the Visiting Nurse Assoc. for a physical therapist referral.
When my elderly dad (who also had a pacemaker and congestive heart failure)
was recovering from surgery the physical therapist gave us some simple
exercises to increase range of motion and strength. Nancy
nancyzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 03:28 AM  
naturallove

There are also personal trainers that specialize in special populations (e.g seniors or pregnant women). I'd go to the websites of organizations like the American Council on Exercise the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Academy of Sports Medicine to do a trainer search. Definitely interview each trainer to find out what their experience and philosophies are when it comes to working with senior citizens.

Also, area hospitals or medical centers tend to have classes targeted towards seniors and/or those recovering from surgery. I'd do a google search to see what is available. HTH!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 04:45 AM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

bfit,check out this website. http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/phys...ises/index.htm
It has a series of exercises including warmup and cooldown. There are illustrations and you can help your FIL by watching his form and makiing sure he's understanding what he's doing.
Someone else mentioned the Silver Sneakers program. If he can find a paricipating gym facility, he can sign up for free membership and a senior advisor can help him. Check out the Silver Sneakers website.
He may do well to find a personal trainer to get him started to figure out just what he needs and what his limitations may be. Any medications he takes can affect the program design as well as the arthritis issues in the back and shoulder.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 05:47 AM  
Gams

Your local senior center and rec centers should have options for seniors, also.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 08:47 AM  
Sollamyn

Lightbulb

Just brainstorming here (without doing any actual research): 1) AARP might have some sort of listing of person trainers/fitness instructors/physical therapists for seniors with challenges. 2) If there is a local university, you might see if their recreation center has any classes for special populations (the university where I work has swimming for people with arthritis, and water aerobics for all ages--but easy on the joints, you can work at your own pace, etc.)--also, if the university has a physical ed. or kinesiology department, they might have graduate students doing internships that would love to have the experience of training someone with special needs. And they don't charge much!

HTH,
Donna
Old 07-28-08, 09:32 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

One of my peers works as a personal trainer at the Senior Center. You may want to see if yours has one.
I work at a University and only members (staff or students) or spouses can use our personal trainers. So, don't feel bad if they turn him away, they may have this policy also.
He should start walking in the meantime. I don't know how fit he is now and how well he walks, but he should be able to do 10 minutes at a time if he is ambulatory.

Oh, how could I forget - check out the certification sites - I am ACE certified and I know ACE has a list of personal trainers and their locations. Perhaps you could find someone there or at another site.
Also try googling "personal trainer" and the name of your city. Be sure to check credentials of any one you find this way.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 10:07 AM  
clemency

Quote:
Of course, he might also just need to try the aerobics class -- if he speaks to the instructor, he/she might be able to give him some modification advice, or other information about other classes.
I agree with this! If your father-in-law just watched the aerobics class, and he hasn't exercised in a long while, of course it will look intimidating to him. And he also might not be aware of modifications that the instructor could show him to make the workouts doable. I would think that instructors at a senior center would be knowledgeable about this kind of thing, since so many of the participants would have various types of restrictions.

My mother (she is 78) has had great luck with the senior center in her town, and she takes pilates, yoga, and "gentle" aerobics classes there. I know most of her instructors are very helpful in working with the students' physical challenges. My mom also has had great experiences with her town's community rec center. They have a walking track, and all kinds of classes and equipment, and it is very inexpensive for seniors.

I also like the mall-walking idea. It seems like most malls have senior citizens' walking groups of one kind of another. Plus, walking is such a non-intimidating way for a new exerciser to get started. Everyone knows how to walk! And all he needs to get started is a pair of sneakers and maybe a pedometer, and he's all set. I think throwing a bunch of complicated programs and routines at him right off the bat will be discouraging. Go in small steps; adding more as his fitness increases.

As for videos, maybe Leslie would be good, if he could stand all the yapping? Check out Collage's speciality section--they have several senior videos to choose from.

--Jennine
clemency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 11:11 AM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

Peggy's post reminded me that ACE is partnered with AARP and offers discounts for training. Here's the link and you can enter your zip code to see if there is a participating trainer near you.
http://www.aarpfitness.com/

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote