Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-08, 11:53 AM  
bearcatfan

Cathe 4DS revisited

I decided to bring out Four Day Split again. I have been fairly vocal about being disappointed in the series. I whined about the cardio, I whined about the weight work. Didn't like it, even let it out of my hands for a couple weeks on a temp loan. But now that I am between rotations, I figured I'd do a week of 4DS just to say I did it.

Well, I take most of it back . I truly enjoy the weight work here. I was expecting heavy lifting and it's not, really. Had I let it stand on its own merit, instead of expecting it to be something else, I think I would have enjoyed it from the start. I was unfairly comparing it to 90X. I think it is a nice addition to my Cathe library - still endurance based but that's okay.

The cardio? Since I've been doing Kelly Coffey-Meyer and Tracey Staehle lately I feel more confident in picking up fast, more complex cardio. So I'll give that a go later this week when I have the time. I got most of it the last time I did it, but I think I was just so pissed at the whole series I didn't feel like liking it

But I figure even if the cardio doesn't rock my world, this is a keep for the weight work alone.

Now, Cathe, go to work on STS!!
Old 02-26-08, 12:11 PM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

I'm glad you gave it a second chance. I love everything about 4DS - except the bootcamp. It was defintely in my top 3 best trades of 2007. I'm on a "virgin workout" rotation (working through my 80+ unused DVDs - many of which have multiple workouts) but I cannot wait to be able to get back to 4DS.
Old 02-26-08, 12:20 PM  
ssgilby

Rose - Am I allowed to say

I tol' ya, Lucy!!!
?

Ooops, I just did!
Old 02-26-08, 12:30 PM  
ladysaraii

I'm so glad to hear you say this. I was considering embarking on a P90X rotation in April but 1) I want to get stronger and 2) have some virgins that need deflowering (including 4DS) that I couldnt justify it.

So instead i'm making a P90X-like rotation w/ 4DS and the Gym Styles. And since both of them have an endurance flavor I think it will work well after my heavy rotation.

July 08 Cathe Road Trip
ladysaraii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 12:41 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Rose,

I agree that our expectations can alter what we think, and sometimes not in a good way. It is great that you gave it a 2nd chance and like it now.

I do find it interesting that you don't consider it heavy lifting while you consider P90X heavy. To me, they are very similar. I guess it is probably because I tend to go for 12-16 reps when I am doing P90X. Also, there are so many maximum reps exercises in P90X and also exercises where Tony says "everyone does 16", that I don't think of it as any more "heavy" than 4DS. I lift the heaviest with both of these series, so I don't consider either of them "endurance". Maybe "hypertrophy" is the better classification for the way I use them - I'm not sure.

Also, I do think these workouts would be quite easy to alter to be more "heavy" if you wanted, because you could just stop after your 6-8 reps and just wait for them to finish. It would probably end up being the proper amount of rest.
Old 02-26-08, 12:49 PM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C
Rose,

I agree that our expectations can alter what we think, and sometimes not in a good way. It is great that you gave it a 2nd chance and like it now.

I do find it interesting that you don't consider it heavy lifting while you consider P90X heavy. To me, they are very similar. I guess it is probably because I tend to go for 12-16 reps when I am doing P90X. Also, there are so many maximum reps exercises in P90X and also exercises where Tony says "everyone does 16", that I don't think of it as any more "heavy" than 4DS. I lift the heaviest with both of these series, so I don't consider either of them "endurance". Maybe "hypertrophy" is the better classification for the way I use them - I'm not sure.

Also, I do think these workouts would be quite easy to alter to be more "heavy" if you wanted, because you could just stop after your 6-8 reps and just wait for them to finish. It would probably end up being the proper amount of rest.
Lisa ITA. I'm doing a P90X+/4DS rotation now and when I get to the 4DS week I feel like I'm doing way more heavy lifting (actually, I know I am). The X+ workouts are all about the "everyone does 16" or maxmum reps.

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 01:05 PM  
jordan

Hi Lisa- You actually touched on something (light bulb moment ) that I hadn't considered.

Hi Rose,

I've gotten better results from the 4 DS than I did with P90X . I couldn't put my finger on the exact reason. I think the cardio compliments the weight work better (for the way my body reacts to exercise) and I think the premixes & the original 4 DS workouts make for a better rotation (again, for me). I was able to add stretching & Yoga without any problems because of the time commitment of the split. I have tweaked things a little, but no more than I do now when using P90X workouts.

I'm glad that you gave it another chance because I think this set packs a lot of punch.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 01:48 PM  
kbehymer

I don't have many of Cathe's weight programs (only Slow and Heavy), so I liked this series right away -- though I only do about half of the bi/tri work she does (I get really bored working small muscle groups--except I don't mind tricep push-ups or dips). I'm in the middle of my second rotation with this and I'm doing a 2 day split--on Mon/Thurs I do the all lower body premix followed by the Kickbox cardio (or KB weights first premix, depending on whether I feel like working my calves), and on Tues/Fri I choose on of the upper body circuit premixes (bootcamp, LIS, HIS). I'm having a lot of fun with it--the Bootcamp Upper Body Circuit is especially fun!
Krista
kbehymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 02:27 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Rose -

YAY for you!!! 4DS is, as I've said before, another sleeper series for Cathe. The first time may have turned you off or, for whatever reason, it didn't click, but, man, I have see results with it (even w/o the cardio - and I mostly do the Kickbox and LIS) that I haven't seen in a while - which is why I am SO SO SO excited about STS!!! There are a couple of us in a 4DS check in who are mixing it up with other weight series, P90X and X+ included, and just loving it - and counting the days 'til STS rolls off the presses. Imagine the possiblities of STS, 4DS, P90X and X+... and maybe throw in a few Kelly's here and there (love her, too!), and what a whale of a source of workouts to challenge you for a long time to come.

Now, your new assignment is to check out the premixes. I'm on a hiatus (hysterectomy recovery) but there is still more in the premixes that I haven't even unearthed yet. I think it will grow on you more and more!

Gibbee

PS - HIS is too much for my knees... and I like the bootcamp but haven't done it too many times... I keep myself going by saying it is like PE class in elementary school - and I can do anything for a minute! (or 1/2 a minute!)
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 04:20 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_real_twit
I'm glad you gave it a second chance. I love everything about 4DS - except the bootcamp. It was defintely in my top 3 best trades of 2007. I'm on a "virgin workout" rotation (working through my 80+ unused DVDs - many of which have multiple workouts) but I cannot wait to be able to get back to 4DS.
Tracey, are you my vidiot twin? I also have about 80+ virgin workouts!

And I like everything about 4DS except the bootcamp. Way too much setting up of stuff.

The step workouts were hard to pick up at first, because Cathe's cueing, frankly, is pretty subpar, IMHO. But once I learned the steps the actual routines were fun.

I really like the premix where I can do the half-hour of kickboxing plus upper body weight work.

Tags
4ds