Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-05, 10:39 PM  
Mary09

Thanks for this thread. I read the CNET reviews (link above) and went to Best Buy and bought the Sony S2 Sports Headphones (MDR-A35GS) they picked as best in the $10-$15 range. Well, they were $20 at Best Buy but we'll see how they do.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 12:03 AM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Cinza - you were probably looking at Shure headphones - http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/index.html

Yes, they are extremely good, and if I could afford them, I would have a pair. They are the creme de la creme and even block out airplane noise. My dh has a pair, so I've had a tantalizing taste.
Old 11-03-05, 06:34 AM  
paidhi
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L
Lisa, how are your ear buds for blocking out surrounding noise?

Hi Judith,

They are excellent at blocking out noise. I don't pick up much external noise but I can hear myself swallow really loudly, LOL.

Lisa
paidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 07:30 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

I have these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09
Thanks for this thread. I read the CNET reviews (link above) and went to Best Buy and bought the Sony S2 Sports Headphones (MDR-A35GS) they picked as best in the $10-$15 range. Well, they were $20 at Best Buy but we'll see how they do.
Hi Mary,

I have these headphones (also read those C|Net reviews) and they've been great for my purposes. I've had them for several months. They do not fall off, and (important for me) they do NOT block out background noise. I wear these while running and I need to be able to hear cars and such. So, not great for cinza's purposes, but good for running. The cord is a bit long, but that's my only complaint.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 09:56 AM  
cinza
VF Supporter

thanks Lianne!

Now I know how to spend any money left over after property taxes all my kids birthdays and Christmas!
Old 11-03-05, 12:27 PM  
Mary09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy
Hi Mary,

I have these headphones (also read those C|Net reviews) and they've been great for my purposes. I've had them for several months. They do not fall off, and (important for me) they do NOT block out background noise. I wear these while running and I need to be able to hear cars and such. So, not great for cinza's purposes, but good for running. The cord is a bit long, but that's my only complaint.
Oh, good! Thanks! I like the long cord as I have a long treadmill with the MP3 player velcroed to the console. I also didn't want background noise blocked, as I would like to know if my sleeping child wakes up screaming or something like that, not to mention using them on my bicycle outdoors.

If anyone else wants these, there were sites that sold them for $12 online, but I really wanted to have an easy return if I decided that route.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-05, 07:00 PM  
cinza
VF Supporter

I just tried the Koss foam.. they hurt too.. .grrrr. I must have small sensitive ear canals.
Old 11-07-05, 01:00 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00
Which model do you have? I was thinking of buying MX-500.
I got the Sennheiser MD 497 a couple of years ago after reading reviews here: http://audioreview.com/cat/headphone...50_830crx.aspx (and probably at Amazon and Cnet.com).

These are for home use. I usually can't tolerate closed ear phones but like these.
Old 11-23-05, 05:39 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Well, since I last posted I ordered the Sony MDR-EX71SL/WK Fontopia Bud-Style Headphones from Amazon and I was surprised to find that they did not block out ambient noise at all (which is my prime concern) and that, in fact, I had to boost the sound on my mp3 player quite a bit which concerned me as regards my ears and the battery usage on the mp3. I tried the different switchable coverings and got them deeply into my ear canal, absolutely, but with no difference. I plugged them into to my pc, turned off my speakers, and played music through them for two days to see if they needed to be broken in. No change. Perhaps I had a defective pair but I sent them back to Amazon and just asked for a refund.

I then ordered a pair of the Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones for $99 with free shipping and they arrived today. Beautiful. Hardly any ambient noise and I can keep the sound on my mp3 player at the same volume I had been using and perhaps even lower.

The Sony earbuds were perhaps more comfortable but not by much and the sound is incomparable -- at least for me. As I said, perhaps I had a defective Sony pair but I didn't want to have to take a chance of having to send another pair back.

If you're interested in these, or any others, it's worth reading as many customer reviews as you can at Amazon. Many say it takes about a week for your ears to adjust to these type of earbuds.
Old 11-23-05, 07:33 PM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy
Hi Mary,

The cord is a bit long, but that's my only complaint.
This site has cute things to shorten annoyingly long cords:

http://sumajin.com/online.htm

Also replacement earbud covers in cool colors.

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote