Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-05, 11:33 AM  
just push play

Unfortunately,

nowadays it seems that if you criticize something or someone, you are viewed as being negative or as participating in bashing. It's the feel good syndrome.
I personally like to give and take constructive criticism. If we all sat around with rose-colored glasses on and turned our heads to obvious problems, be it with small things in life like videos or even bigger issues, then the chance for improvements to be made might never happen otherwise.
I am off to continue my great day.
Rebecca
just push play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 11:40 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Well, this thread has veered all over the place, but I'd just like to point out that the customer service problems and lack of response started BEFORE the Hardcores. Many Cathe fans who didn't have issues responded like many here. That is until they also had problems that weren't resolved and treated rudely.

Everyone has varying levels of willingness to take chances on buying workouts. I'm very far to one end, I prefer to buy workouts at the store, I dislike buying on line. I also find ebay, half.com and many other sites way too much work. Even trading is something I do seldom now. I got to the end of buying the Robert Sherman dvds on DDD yesterday and decided I didn't want them to have my credit card info in perpetuity, so didn't finalize.

I do miss a whole lot of great workouts, because I won't buy directly from beachbody, cathe, ddd, tlp, firm derivatives and on and on and on. But, I have at least 100 workouts on tape and dvd and a spinning bike, plus the gardens I need to walk by on my lunchtime walk.

On other notes, Cathe does have unique weight work, but she hasn't put out an innovative workout in years. Donna Read's CIA 9701 and Franny B had workouts similar to Step Fit and PowerMax long before Cathe used the choreo, and in the last 5 years, the only interesting step workout has been Rhythmic Step, everything else can easily be substituted with some of the other stuff outthere.

I'm amused that people visit here to be offended. . We finally have some warm weather, the sky is impossibly blue and I intend to enjoy my day in full. I'll work, garden and read with my daughter, plus a nice hour long, hot walk at lunch time.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:38 PM  
paidhi
VF Supporter

As one of those customers who was treated poorly by Cathe's customer service, my perspective of Cathe has definitely been affected. The HardCore DVDs are sitting on my shelf gathering dust because I cannot hear the music properly on some of them, despite having surround sound and stereo speakers and everything else SNM said to do. Until recently, I found that I could not bring myself do any Cathe workout (although I enjoy the Intensity and Body Blast series) because I would start to think about how I was treated and become angry. Now, whenever I do a Cathe workout, my enjoyment of the workout is tempered by these feelings. So Cathe is definitely not off the hook with me and I will definitely not be pre-ordering anything from her again.

Lisa
paidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:53 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just push play
nowadays it seems that if you criticize something or someone, you are viewed as being negative or as participating in bashing. It's the feel good syndrome.
I personally like to give and take constructive criticism. If we all sat around with rose-colored glasses on and turned our heads to obvious problems, be it with small things in life like videos or even bigger issues, then the chance for improvements to be made might never happen otherwise.
I am off to continue my great day.
Rebecca
It really seems that a small number of hardcore Cathe fans are having a hard time dealing with the fact that Cathe no longer is put on a pedestal here at VF. She/her company lost that status before the HC problems. What makes a company really good is how they handle problems when they arise. Chris has done a crappy job handling problems!

God forbid if we voice any constructive criticism that are legitimate concerns. I never thought I would be critical of an instructor who I CHOOSE to hand money over to, and who I choose to keep in my collection, but the way they handled this situation, and the series that they told a lot of people to go out and buy a new DVD player, really has soured me on SNM.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 12:59 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S.
It really seems that a small number of hardcore Cathe fans are having a hard time dealing with the fact that Cathe no longer is put on a pedestal here at VF. She/her company lost that status before the HC problems. What makes a company really good is how they handle problems when they arise. Chris has done a crappy job handling problems!

God forbid if we voice any constructive criticism that are legitimate concerns. I never thought I would be critical of an instructor who I CHOOSE to hand money over to, and who I choose to keep in my collection, but the way they handled this situation, and the series that they told a lot of people to go out and buy a new DVD player, really has soured me on SNM.
I tend to wonder what those hardcore fans have at stake that they cannot bear the idea that someone disagrees with them, even someone on a forum that they profess not to read because they can't stand the opinions expressed there. It just seems odd to me. As a wise VFer once wrote, "They're only exercise videos!" Obviously, they are much more than that for some people.
Old 06-21-05, 01:12 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F.
I tend to wonder what those hardcore fans have at stake that they cannot bear the idea that someone disagrees with them, even someone on a forum that they profess not to read because they can't stand the opinions expressed there. It just seems odd to me. As a wise VFer once wrote, "They're only exercise videos!" Obviously, they are much more than that for some people.

Jewels? Cars? Furs? Exotic trips?
Old 06-21-05, 02:31 PM  
fab40's

Cathe must be doing something right

that she evokes this much conversation! Whenever I come here and see a Cathe thread, there is usually 40 to 100 replies. She has a fan base, maybe a recently disappointed one, but she is definitely popular with the advanced crowd.
fab40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 03:23 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmis29
I hate to admit it, but I kind of agree with Conni. There's a lot of negativity here lately.
Reeaaallly? In what way?
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 04:18 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni
Jump on me all you want, but why have threads for no other reason than to bash people? This is the only forum I know that loves to hate Cathe. I come over here every now and then just to see who posts a Cathe thread,
There's another thread going on right now about how people are looking forward to a new Cathe release and what kind of workouts they would like from her. This board isn't slanted one way or the other -- for everyone who doesn't care for Cathe and/or her customer service, you'll find one or more others who adore her. In fact, I could probably say the same about pretty much any instructor.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-05, 04:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Negativity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Reeaaallly? In what way?
Sharon, it's those "mean VFers" that make it negative here. They are like hemorrhoids. They are always there, just waiting for a Cathe thread in order to flare up and cause an uncomfortable burning and itching!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe friedrich, cathe nation, snm chris