Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-16-21, 07:08 PM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sandy - How was Kassandra's latest? I saw how long the holds were and picked another. 5 min holds are long enough for me. I did pick a long one that I hadn't done before though.
The comment I gave it: 8 poses 9 minutes each, looong.

Five minutes per pose is more than enough. Good on you finding a better class.

Two of the Caroline Pyramid Series done, and I loved them so much, I may do the other three.
Old 09-16-21, 09:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Nine minute holds??? No thank you! Five is almost longer than I can stand.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 07:24 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
That's 'cause Sandy is a Beast!

Caroline's calisthenics this AM. I think those are my favorite. Tough but doable. Not a lot of dread.
Old 09-17-21, 07:48 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
It actually worked out better than expected. Since I knew the holds were so long, for once I didn't push beyond what was prudent. I viewed it as 8 nine minute meditations and really focused on my deep breathing and keeping my mind clear.

I don't know if Caroline will give me the strongest body ever or kill me. I did glutes and hamstrings Pyramid. These classes are very similar across series (hip thrusts, sumo squats, RDLs), but they kill my butt every time (in a good way?).
Old 09-17-21, 09:42 PM  
Helen

Wednesday - Cathe - Intensity Series - Muscle Endurance
Thursday - Christi - Stepping Zone - Section 2 Mix
Friday - long dog walk

Yeah - agreed about the 9 minute pose holds, too long for me! Certainly there'd be a diminishing physical benefit after a few minutes - then it'd move into a meditational aspect I imagine. Maybe that's why??

Caroline's Epics - I have downloaded them. Feels productive just doing that much but these things can get taken down sooner than you expect, so I feel safer having a 'hard' copy. Have Epic 1, 2, Heat, and 3 (up to day 9).

Maybe after my 60th b'day, I'll start them - when I've finished all of Cathe's.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 11:09 PM  
Vantreesta

I need to get some YT videos downloaded too: my favorite PT type ones and some yoga challenges, plus some I've found more recently that use less traditional equipment like clubs.

If I tried to hold a pose for 9 minutes I would most likely fall asleep!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-22-21, 09:14 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy first day of fall! Best season of all, in my opinion. The leaves are changing here, more up north than here at home but I do still see some color. This morning it is 46 with a predicted high of 67. Vannie and Cyric are happy campers!

Yesterday's workouts: 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 29, Kathy Smith Matrix Method Power Walk for Weight Loss Walking part 2 (for the different instructors/virgins/dustbunnies challenge), TTSL Desk Jockey WOD 5 rounds, Caroline Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout and Barefoot Strength and Stretch Exercises Workout for Your Feet, Hector Estrada Aztec Athletics -5-Minute Calf Plyometric Workout for Runners, 2.18 mi run (first run this month, how is that possible??), Helen Clare Run Better With Yoga -Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, and Matt Giordano Athletic Yoga: Yoga for Runners post-run practice. Forgot to do the wobble board last night.

Yesterday I finished the front door spider web and spiders and posted a pic on TF. I also hung up witch hats that will be lit up and ghosts on the front porch. Last year the ghosts were in a tree, which looked cool, but I spent the whole month untangling them and trying to keep the from sticking to the tree. I decided to try the porch this year. Basically all of October is windy here. I'm hoping today will be calm so I can spray paint my Halloween tree. I'm also looking up how to make a crystal ball and witch broom. I suppose I better get some stuff crossed off my to do list today before I indulge in more decorating though!

Only two weekends left of Ren Fest! I know every month seems to fly by but I seriously do not know what happened to September. I had no idea till I logged yesterday's run that I hadn't run since August 31. I wonder if I decided to skip my October trail race bc I missed runs or if I missed runs bc I decided to skip?? Unfortunately, the running app I used this summer was not a good fit for me and I lost endurance even though I did pick up my cadence and speed. So I ditched that plan and will resume with the 10k trainer. I left off on week 7 but am going back to week 5, I think.

Okay, I better get the day started! Happy fall, y'all!

Old 09-23-21, 07:34 AM  
buffmama

Vannie - How often do you go to the Ren Fest? How do you pick which running apps to use? Are they free?
Old 09-23-21, 11:12 AM  
Vantreesta

Buff, how often we go depends on what else is going on. We try to get to as many as we can. The big MN one we usually go to 3-4 times a season. We have gone to them in 3 states besides MN this year.

I only use free apps. I don't remember how I chose the Zen Labs C25K trainer app years ago but I liked it and switched to their 10k trainer. This year I tried the Run With Hal app based on reading about it in an article somewhere. It is supposed to be adaptive based on your actual performance but I learned that is only the paid version. The free version is just basic and you get a grade based on how well you stick to the plan, but it is ridiculous bc there were days I skipped the run and logged it as such and the comment back would be whoa, you went above and beyond what was called for today! Um, really?? Or a lot of times since I ran faster than the pace it had set for me I would run the called for distance but since it took less time it might tell me I didn't do enough. If I just followed the plan it wasn't so bad but I couldn't stop reading the comments and grade and it just got annoying, plus I didn't like the progression. For some people, and especially if you wanted to pay for it, I'm sure it works great. The one thing it did do was keep me running all summer in the heat bc all the runs were short, but of course I ended up losing endurance bc of that as well.

I also love the Zombies Run app, but it's just smthg to help keep things interesting as opposed to a training plan app.

Old 09-23-21, 07:46 PM  
Helen

Catching up - been too long...

Saturday Cathe - Intensity - Intensity Step + Low Impact HIIT
Sunday Buddy Michelle Bridges - Tight Toned Terrific - Cardio, Upper & Abs
Monday Choreo Christi Taylor - Solid Gold Step
Tuesday Jennifer Galardi - Dance It off & Tone It Up
Wed/Thu very long walks with Alice
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next