Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-21, 10:06 AM  
jackie7

I think you address your concerns with the PT before going to his supervisor.

Say please call me Judy.

I see nothing wrong with him speaking with your husband about your progress.
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 10:06 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
But do I think these things make him a bad PT? Probably not in and of themselves. I know all too well what it's like to be socially awkward and in some ways I think this may be more common in the younger generations than older ones bc of social media. (I am in no way making this a blanket statement about younger generations, just speculating that the way we communicate in the current day is different and less personal than in the past and that can produce different ways of relating to others. Just an observation, not a judgment!)
I agree. Although on the flip side, the younger generation can find us socially awkward, even rude, on social media. For example, there are things I do in texting that is considered rude in the younger generation. I sometimes think what is socially acceptable is changing.
Old 08-24-21, 10:10 AM  
Sollamyn

I've had lots of p.t. with several different physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. If they need to know what I do for a living, lifestyle activities, etc., they either ask that information on my intake form or they ask me during my first session. (Usually, it's both!) Doing an online search (and telling you about it) seems, oh, peculiar. And unprofessional, in my opinion. Would it bother me? It would bother me a little bit, but if he knows his stuff and is treating your injury to your satisfaction, I wouldn't change physical therapists because of that. P.t. is time consuming and expensive (in the USA, anyway) if you have several sessions to get through. If he's doing all the right things re: your treatment, I wouldn't dismiss him for doing an online search that is easily accessible to anyone who looked up your name.

As for the "lady" calling, well...I guess I've been listening to The Office Ladies podcast too much, because it seems normal to me now. Angela and Jenna call each other "lady" all the time. But they are women, and best friends, so maybe that's different.

The convo with your husband? No. I wouldn't like that, and your p.t. should be made aware that you don't like it.

JMHO,
Donna
Old 08-24-21, 10:13 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

I wouldn’t be bothered by those things in general, but if you are I’d talk to him first not the supervisor.

In general, a public profile on social media is meant for anyone to see isn’t it? If you don’t want random people to know those things I wouldn’t post them publicly, however if the information came by way of public info on google and not social media than maybe you can help remove that info from the internet if it makes you uncomfortable.

Personally, I would give him credit for taking the time to get to know you before you came in so that he can relate to you better. Kind of like doing research on a company before an interview.

But that’s just my opinion!

Last edited by frostyjan; 08-24-21 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Finished a thought after rereading original post.
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 11:01 AM  
Vantreesta

I think this thread is great for hearing different perspectives on the matter! I know for me personally, bc of my paranoid tendencies, I often need outside opinions on things where other people are concerned. The insights shared here are much appreciated!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 11:28 AM  
BigBadBetty

Do you have in your records that you gave specific permission to talk about your medical issues to your husband? If not, that would be a huge red flag. As a medical provider, he is not to talk about your medical condition to anyone that you have not specifically mentioned. That would make me wonder who else he is talking to or whatever other policies he is breaking. This should definitely be brought up with the clinic. (FYI - I am speaking as someone in the US who would be subject to HIPAA laws. I don't know what other countries have for medical privacy.)

The looking you up on Google is weird. When I started physical therapy, they ask about my profession and hobby...no need to Google.

Calling me lady would bother me, but I probably wouldn't say anything. However, the three things combined would have me looking elsewhere.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 04:24 PM  
jackie7

The PT was talking about how she was doing on the machine to her husband. No violation there!
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-21, 05:08 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I've had lots of p.t. with several different physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. If they need to know what I do for a living, lifestyle activities, etc., they either ask that information on my intake form or they ask me during my first session. (Usually, it's both!) Doing an online search (and telling you about it) seems, oh, peculiar. And unprofessional, in my opinion. Would it bother me? It would bother me a little bit, but if he knows his stuff and is treating your injury to your satisfaction, I wouldn't change physical therapists because of that. P.t. is time consuming and expensive (in the USA, anyway) if you have several sessions to get through. If he's doing all the right things re: your treatment, I wouldn't dismiss him for doing an online search that is easily accessible to anyone who looked up your name.
Yeah, I thought it was weird not so much for looking someone up. It’s a free country, if your social media is public, you should assume anyone who knows you might do that.
But what they needed to know to treat you could be gathered by just asking you.

What seems strange is that a professional would think it’s clinically appropriate and would mention that they did that, and also that they think it would be relevant or that they could gain great insight into your lifestyle by doing so. Even if they could, that would probably require a lot of time and digging, and that’s getting really weird. Someone that has that much time to look up clients must not be very busy, another reason that seems off to me.

It’s not my experience so far that being young explains it, but if it did, well, part of learning to be a professional and dealing with people of all ages and backgrounds and adjusting to general expectations of what your clients consider appropriate.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
physical therapist