Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-21, 01:30 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Erica, you don't have to answer this and please know I mean it from a place of concern, but sometimes therapy can help with these issues. It's just a thought. Therapy helped me some with generalized anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. But I also understand that there are financial considerations depending on your insurance coverage.

A non-craft hobby idea might be jigsaw puzzles if that would interest you.
I absolutely appreciate your concern! I absolutely do need therapy and am desperate for help but cost and finding someone who can actually help me are both issues that hold me back. Mostly cost - especially since I've had huge huge medical expenses in the past several years.

I don't enjoy jigsaw puzzles. DH and dd love them, but I find them boring. I like to read and waste lots of time on the internet but those are both easy activities to snack during!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 05:04 PM  
Vantreesta

Will your insurance not cover mental health care?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-21, 05:12 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Will your insurance not cover mental health care?
I haven't even looked into it because our out of pocket is so high (although I met it in 2018 and 2019, and almost did in 2017 due to health issues/surgeries). We might meet it this year too thanks to this stupid injury. We're already out around $2,000. My guess is that coverage is very limited, though.

Erica
Old 07-27-21, 06:12 PM  
Vantreesta

It would still be worth checking into, in my opinion. Even a limited number of sessions might give you some coping tools to start with.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-27-21, 06:19 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
It would still be worth checking into, in my opinion. Even a limited number of sessions might give you some coping tools to start with.
Thank you. I will try. Right now I'm just overwhelmed with this injury/treatment and all of my other medical issues. I have so many doctors to see/tests to be done that I don't know where to start. But I know I need to take care of the mental issues to get my quality of life back for me and poor DH, who has been amazing through everything. I am very lucky to have him.

Thank you so much for caring. It means a lot.

Erica
Old 07-27-21, 07:33 PM  
Vantreesta

Praying you get some help and some answers. And yes, sometimes we seek personal help for our loved ones' quality of life as much as our own.

Old 07-27-21, 08:20 PM  
bfit

I would ask your doctor/surgeon and/or physical therapist about the rowing machine. They should know whether it is OK for your condition. I just recovered from a broken foot, and I definitely support the suggestions for pool exercise. Once any incision has healed enough you can do deep water aerobics, deep water running, and swimming. Caroline Jordan, Pahla B, and Paul Eugene have great chair workouts on You Tube. I also used the Fe Fit workouts a lot. The toning is very fast paced, and you can do almost all of it on the floor, on a ball, or from a chair.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 12:26 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I would ask your doctor/surgeon and/or physical therapist about the rowing machine. They should know whether it is OK for your condition. I just recovered from a broken foot, and I definitely support the suggestions for pool exercise. Once any incision has healed enough you can do deep water aerobics, deep water running, and swimming. Caroline Jordan, Pahla B, and Paul Eugene have great chair workouts on You Tube. I also used the Fe Fit workouts a lot. The toning is very fast paced, and you can do almost all of it on the floor, on a ball, or from a chair.
Thank you! I'll check out the youtube workouts you mentioned. Hope you are healing well. I had a broken foot in 2013 - not fun.

Erica
Old 07-28-21, 08:14 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

I hope it is ok to say this - Erica - I hope you can get the mental health help you need - it sounds to me that you are truly tortured by this and life is way too short to spend in a state of misery. I am wondering if there is any type of free or low cost therapy that may be available to you - through maybe your state or local gov't or maybe there is even a cheaper on-line option you can look at? No matter, it would be money well spent to get peace of mind.

I know one VFer had mentioned a cognitive behavior therapy workbook she used from Amazon to deal w/ Anxiety.

I think this may be it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/160623918X...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It sounds from your history of injury and health issues that perhaps they are being caused in part by excessive exercise and weight management habits - I am not sure what your health issues are - but our bodies can only handle so much stress before they break down and it sounds like you are suffering both physically and mentally from this.

I had some body image/weight/disordered thinking stuff going on in my youth so I understand how hard it is break that cycle of thinking and let go of the "control" but it is truly the healthiest and kindest thing you can do for yourself.

Getting somewhat back on topic - I'm no expert but it sounds like one-legged rowing for any length of time would definitely cause some muscle imbalances that would like result in some future injury down the road. I can see doing it as part of a rowing workout from time to time and switching legs, but I think if you were to do a full rowing workout regularly with only one leg it would probably mess something else up in your body. I also endorse Caroline Jordan and Pahla B for their workouts - Caroline has a history of foot injuries and she has many workouts that are seated or on the floor.

((HUGS))

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 09:08 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I hope it is ok to say this - Erica - I hope you can get the mental health help you need - it sounds to me that you are truly tortured by this and life is way too short to spend in a state of misery. I am wondering if there is any type of free or low cost therapy that may be available to you - through maybe your state or local gov't or maybe there is even a cheaper on-line option you can look at? No matter, it would be money well spent to get peace of mind.

I know one VFer had mentioned a cognitive behavior therapy workbook she used from Amazon to deal w/ Anxiety.

I think this may be it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/160623918X...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It sounds from your history of injury and health issues that perhaps they are being caused in part by excessive exercise and weight management habits - I am not sure what your health issues are - but our bodies can only handle so much stress before they break down and it sounds like you are suffering both physically and mentally from this.

I had some body image/weight/disordered thinking stuff going on in my youth so I understand how hard it is break that cycle of thinking and let go of the "control" but it is truly the healthiest and kindest thing you can do for yourself.

Getting somewhat back on topic - I'm no expert but it sounds like one-legged rowing for any length of time would definitely cause some muscle imbalances that would like result in some future injury down the road. I can see doing it as part of a rowing workout from time to time and switching legs, but I think if you were to do a full rowing workout regularly with only one leg it would probably mess something else up in your body. I also endorse Caroline Jordan and Pahla B for their workouts - Caroline has a history of foot injuries and she has many workouts that are seated or on the floor.

((HUGS))

Donna

Thank you, Donna! I appreciate your concern very much.

I am definitely tortured by my lifelong eating/exercise disorders for exactly the reason you said - life is just too short. I never ever thought I'd still be struggling with this in my 50s. I feel terrible about how it has affected DH and even my kids. And, of course, me. I have contacted our county mental health center but received no response (this may be due to Covid). I looked up virtual therapists and found someone who looks like a perfect match, but she is ridiculously expensive and doesn't even take insurance. It's definitely frustrating. I did work with a counselor many years ago (23?) who specialized in addictions and he did help, but the sessions were so intense and traumatic for me that I'd end up having nightmares and being very disturbed after my appts. and my kids were little then and it was just too much for me to deal with so I stopped going. That was when we had good insurance. I definitely regret stopping treatment.

I suspect many of my health issues are due to overtraining but not eating (I've been at a normal weight for a long time). Some were out of my control, though - I had years of intestinal issues where I'd have total and partial obstructions due to my large intestines twisting (volvulus) and needed two surgeries and other procedures to treat that. I also had carpal tunnel surgeries (both hands) that were unrelated to eating/exercise.

Injuries...I've been fortunate to have very few. This one was a total surprise. When I broke my foot in 2013, it was from stepping on a rock and rolling my ankle so it could have happened to anyone.

I think I have that book from the library but haven't read it yet. If not, I will make sure I order it and read it ASAP.

Thanks for the one-legged rowing thoughts as well. I've saved a bunch of youtube workouts from Caroline and Pahla to go through if I end up having this surgery. I'm so grateful for all the help and support I have received here at VF.

Erica

Tags
foot surgery, rower, rowing machine